Total cost to make an iPhone and Beats headphones

1. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Aug 15, 2015

Dr. Indest , Aug 15, 2015 :
    The iPhone 6s is reported to also sport 1 gb of RAM, just like the iPhone 6.... That in itself proves your points lol.

2. ssb_k1ng
    Gingerbread Aug 15, 2015

ssb_k1ng , Aug 15, 2015 :
    it sucks how apple rips us off like that, this is why i like Oneplus, its more honest

3. TheGameofSoles
    Froyo Aug 16, 2015

TheGameofSoles , Aug 16, 2015 :
    OPs margins are still slimmer than what we think if I had to guess. "Buying in bulk" is an understatement for the scale Apple uses to buy parts and assemble phones. Everything they buy they buy for fractions of pennies so that's why they have the ability to spend money on diamond cut edges just because it looks nice (That and the $72,000,000,000 they had locked up that they weren't sharing with investors for quite some time... but that's another story entirely)

4. thejchen7
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 16, 2015

5. TForesto
    Gingerbread Aug 16, 2015

TForesto , Aug 16, 2015 :
    I wouldn't buy anything Beats, if my life depended on it. Overrated s**t.

6. basimc
    Gingerbread Aug 16, 2015

basimc , Aug 16, 2015 :
    That is why I don't but Apple product too much over rated. I read too somewhere that Samsung S6 edge cost is 196$

TForesto likes this.
  7. Silchouette
    Donut Aug 16, 2015

8. Kyon Denwa
    Gingerbread Aug 16, 2015

Kyon Denwa , Aug 16, 2015 :
    Yes Johnny Depp, and then you'd do all those drugs with the profits, right?

Jonas likes this.
  9. bakerbarber
    Jelly Bean Aug 16, 2015

bakerbarber , Aug 16, 2015 :
    TL/DR

People still buy Beats and iPhones?

At least they offer warranty and customer support with part of those profits. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, speaking of Apple.
    I bought the original iPod shuffle in 2005.
    I looked at the one for sale today on Apple website.
    2GB for $49.00.
    Forty-Nine Dollars...
    If you buy a 2GB Mp3 player for $49 in 2015 you're an idiot.

It's not like anyone holds a gun to people's heads to buy this junk either. It's like any other luxury brand. A $10,000 Swiss watch doesn't keep time better than a $1 store digital watch.
    It's a status symbol. Some people are just insecure and want to exude an image of wealth.
    Some people.

Other people are just happy with the Apple ecosystem and don't like change. No fault there.
    The ones that make me shake my head are the people who passionately defend any brand and show blind loyalty without looking at the reality of the situation.

Sure iPhone has pretty low hardware specs compared to most Android phones. Show me one Android phone with 1GB of RAM that runs as smooth as IOS though. You really can't. Apple totally has their software and hardware tuned to the Nth degree. No denying that. Android may never accomplish that level of harmony due to fragmentation. Same for Windows vs OS X.

For the money though, that is really a mute point though. After all, a OnePlus One is $300. It is arguably more capable in many regards than an iPhone 6. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out where the bang for buck is better. Unless you're already heavily invested into Apple ecosystem, it's hard to justify the cost of Apple products.

Methiri, YaManCJ, neyzen69 and 6 others like this.
  10. ppod
    Jelly Bean Aug 16, 2015

ppod , Aug 16, 2015 :
    Didnt OP say they wanna be more like Apple.

Dr. Indest likes this.
  11. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Aug 16, 2015

Dunnow , Aug 16, 2015 :
    yeah... i+d, salaries, PR, Marketing... the iphones does not ONLY cost that... you should add up the previous i+d asigned to develop the iphone, and add it to the cost. You should also add up the gigs and electricity they pay to mantain your iCloud account. And the SW developers + patents + royalties. It's not ONLY about the HW cost. It has many more things to be added up.

Apple is not like OnePlus... they just pay for design, SW development (oxygen and hydrogen os) and production. Apple (and any other company) pay much more. Even tho, when divided by devices sold, it's not that much, but you could easily add 100$ per unit or more.

12. TiramisuNY
    Jelly Bean Aug 16, 2015

TForesto and Dr. Indest like this.
  13. TForesto
    Gingerbread Aug 16, 2015

TForesto , Aug 16, 2015 :
    I wouldn't doubt it!!

14. TlathamXmahtalT
    KitKat Aug 16, 2015

15. adamcdx

adamcdx , Aug 16, 2015 :
    As a guy who owned every iPhone execpt the 6, and multiple Macs. I feel like Apple has provided me the best service than anyone else has ever had. Rip off or not. I would rather pay the $600 for something that is nearly guaranteed that I get a replacement everytime on the sameday that the phone has the defect. I still love OnePlus as it's a great company providing amazing interactions for the community.

Methiri, Ivanpoocky13 and mwebsterpgh like this.
  16. mwebsterpgh
    KitKat Aug 16, 2015

mwebsterpgh , Aug 16, 2015 :
    Ok that's cost of the phone but what about buildings/ employees / healthcare? No one ever figures this into the price of a phone.

Ivanpoocky13 likes this.
  17. audiocracy
    Gingerbread Aug 16, 2015

audiocracy , Aug 16, 2015 :
    Comparing specs between an Apple and an Android device is completely pointless...no reason to beef up the hardware when you have the money to optimize your software to the point where it doesn't take much to provide a smooth user experience. It always bugs me when people knock the hardware on the iPhones without considering all the facts.

The HTC One M9 they gave me bogged down after two months of normal usage because it wasn't optimized properly. I can't say the same for my iPhone 6.

18. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Aug 16, 2015

Dr. Indest , Aug 16, 2015 :
    I would agree if they sold a phone at 2x the cost. Selling it 4x the cost is just wrong.

19. Scoobems

Scoobems , Aug 16, 2015 :
    Idk about honest, cheaper yes...just read some of the threads here about the RMA process

ssb_k1ng likes this.
  20. HassamK10
    Donut Aug 16, 2015