Display Touch latency

1. gravage
    Eclair May 28, 2018

gravage , May 28, 2018 :
    I processed an RMA return for my Oneplus 6 today. I had been waiting for this phone and bought it within minutes of it becoming available on their site. I like most everything else about it.

What kills me is the touch latency. It really screws with my typing. I'm sure the fans will defend it and say "it's fine" (inb4 "no issues on mine"), but I have 4 other phones to compare it to. It's especially noticeable coming from an iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, Pixel 2 XL, and Galaxy S9+ (all of which I own). The phone itself is buttery smooth. No lag in the UI or animations. But having purchased several phones this year with subpar digitizers, it feels to me like that's what's going on here. The response time just isn't there. Between that and the really bad vibration motor, it makes typing a nightmare.

I'm fine with the notch. Love the screen. Battery life could have been better, but I could live with that. This, I cannot live with. If you are experiencing this on your OP6, I wouldn't expect a software update to improve it. There's only so much that can be done with a lower quality digitizer.

2. darkn3xx
    Donut May 28, 2018

darkn3xx , May 28, 2018 :
    This is the information I saw on a serious French media (lesnumeriques.com) for touch latency :
    - OnePlus 6 : 95 ms
    - OnePlus 5T : 85 ms
    - Pixel 2XL : 78 ms
    - Galaxy S9+ : 74 ms
    - iPhone 8 : 42 ms
    - iPhone X : 41 ms

I have been using my OP6 for a few days now and haven't noticed much of difference with my 5T for touch latency.

Apple has always been very good at minimizing the touch latency.

However I haven't encountered the same issue as you when typing. What keyboard did you use ? Have you tried to disable key vibration and popup ?

3. drimer81
    Cupcake May 28, 2018

4. tWoBrO
    Gingerbread May 28, 2018

tWoBrO , May 28, 2018 :
    The ms after the numbers is milisencods. I'm very very very surprised that someone can notice that with their own eyes.

But yeh, it should be the fastest. No ******* doubt!

Ovidiu Ladaru and TheRealGamer like this.
  5. randywhorton
    Froyo May 28, 2018

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018

gravage likes this.
  6. (_Dragonor_92)
    Gingerbread May 28, 2018

mnmohitrocks likes this.
  7. gravage
    Eclair May 29, 2018

gravage , May 29, 2018 :
    I tried both Google keyboard and Swiftkey. Turning off vibration made very little difference.

It's a nice phone, but this is not something I could ever get used to, especially coming from an iPhone and S9+.

TheRealGamer likes this.
  8. G_Francesco_Di_Domenico_
    Eclair Jun 7, 2018

Xyz00777 likes this.
  9. G_Mr_....
    Jelly Bean Jun 7, 2018

G_Mr_.... , Jun 7, 2018 :
    Hi, maybe it's worth changing the touch latency if you haven't already done so.

1528354647480.jpg

randywhorton and gravage like this.
  10. gravage
    Eclair Jun 12, 2018

gravage , Jun 12, 2018 :
    Would that actually affect the keyboard typing? It seems like it's meant for touch and hold, like app shortcuts. Anyone confirm?

11. drimer81
    Cupcake Jun 13, 2018

drimer81 , Jun 13, 2018 :
    you are right. that setting will not improve latency

gravage and G_plusone like this.
  12. (MUG3NHC)
    Jelly Bean Jun 21, 2018

(MUG3NHC) , Jun 21, 2018 :
    Hahah, what bullshit. This setting is only for delay when you hold a key. Don't post such nonsense.

13. (MUG3NHC)
    Jelly Bean Jun 21, 2018

You're correct . He's wrong.

14. G_Mr_....
    Jelly Bean Jun 21, 2018

G_Mr_.... , Jun 21, 2018 :
    (MUG3NHC)

Hahah, what bullshit. This setting is only for delay when you hold a key. Don't post such nonsense.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018

15. G_Mr_....
    Jelly Bean Jun 21, 2018

G_Mr_....

(MUG3NHC)

Also Fool the remarks been up from the 07/06/2018 how come it took a bright fool like yourself so long to reply.
    (G.F. Y) with a smile, listen Fool if you are correcting someone do so with some respect,or shut the F@UK UP, inbreds like yourself always think your better than others.
    Always be prepared to get what you give out.
    Inbred.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018

16. (MUG3NHC)
    Jelly Bean Jun 21, 2018

What am i on about? I should be asking you that question. I was referring to your earlier post about touch latency. The setting on the screenshot refers to tap and hold delay, not touch latency. There's no setting for touch latency.

17. (MUG3NHC)
    Jelly Bean Jun 21, 2018

With this post you just showed that you're a simpleton. I don't waste my time on simpletons, so it was nice (not) taking to you. Sayonara.

18. G_Mr_....
    Jelly Bean Jun 21, 2018

(MUG3NHC)

What am i on about? I should be asking you that question. I was referring to your earlier post about touch latency. The setting on the screenshot refers to tap and hold delay, not touch latency. There's no setting for touch latency.

This simpleton is simply saying your the only simpleton here fool.
    (Exactly) What I'm saying if your correcting someone do so but don't be making comments about don't post nonsense like I intentionally put incorrect information.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2018

19. Elfferich
    Donut Nov 16, 2018

Elfferich , Nov 16, 2018 :
    Good news... Since Android Pie, the primary UI renderer is Skia. Even though Skia still uses OpenGL, you do have a choice to switch to vulkan (if you are rooted). At first, this doesn't seem very exciting, but I've tried Skia on vulkan and it made me realise that the OpenGL must have a rather big delay overhead because with Vulkan, touching feels a lot more responsive. Skia Vulkan is very likely going to be the primary UI renderer in Android Q. You can already try this out by adding the build property: debug.hwui.renderer=skiavk. You do have to be rooted in order to edit the build prop file though. Note that Skia Vulkan isn't finished right now and that it is quite buggy in some apps in my experience.

20. airiartev
    Jelly Bean Dec 27, 2018

airiartev , Dec 27, 2018 :
    For normal users what does this means? The high liatency in the oneplus 6 is making me crazy

Xyz00777 likes this.