Touch recognition issues while charging

1. kepe
    Froyo Jan 9, 2018

kepe , Jan 9, 2018 :
    On my 5T Star Wars edition, the touch screen doesn't work properly whenever my phone is plugged into any charger/USB port (Dash charger, QC3 charger, USB port on PC and PS4).

Long touches and swipes are disrupted. For example when playing a game that requires you to press a button or something for more than half a second or so, playing while plugged in is impossible because touch recognition is all over the place. The same goes with trying to write using swipe gestures, it's impossible because swipes are interrupted. It's also noticeable when scrolling web pages and lists; scrolling isn't smooth and instead of scrolling, sometimes the phone thinks I tapped on a link or a picture. I had to unplug my phone to be able to write this post using swipe gestures.

The issue is at its worst when the phone is charging and becomes less obvious when the battery is full.

Is this a problem on my phone only, or do others have this issue as well?

2. FiDuS
    Froyo Jan 9, 2018

kepe likes this.
  3. stark2991_PL
    KitKat Jan 9, 2018

stark2991_PL , Jan 9, 2018 :
    I've had such problems with one of my previous phones, but not all the time. Sometimes it was there, somethimes not, I don't know why.
    It seems like a electric field generated during charging disrupts a touch panel somehow. There's no true solution for this, at least I don't know it. But you may try to check if the problem exists when you plug your phone into another socket, and in another localisations.

kepe likes this.
  4. S1513752933411
    Gingerbread Jan 9, 2018

stark2991_PL likes this.
  5. kepe
    Froyo Jan 9, 2018

kepe , Jan 9, 2018 :
    Why not? Long gaming sessions drain the battery and instead of letting the phone die before plugging it in, I'd rather charge it while playing etc.

6. kepe
    Froyo Jan 9, 2018

kepe , Jan 9, 2018 :
    Thanks. This seems logical. Sometimes charging doesn't affect the touch screen, sometimes it does. Perhaps I'll try grounding myself the next time this happens to see if it helps.

7. stark2991_PL
    KitKat Jan 9, 2018

stark2991_PL , Jan 9, 2018 :
    Because charging increase the battery temperature (yes, in OnePlus phones too) and stresses the battery - it's charged and discharged at the same time

8. S1513752933411
    Gingerbread Jan 9, 2018

S1513752933411 , Jan 9, 2018 :
    In case of OP battery charges at 3000 milli Amps. Thats a lot of current going in the battery. Draining it simultaneously does not seem a good idea to me.
    Also I have heard some cases where mobile explodes while charging, so there is that. Never heard of a OP explode but why take the chance.

9. aakashsood
    Jelly Bean Jan 9, 2018

aakashsood , Jan 9, 2018 :
    I might be wrong about it but the issue maybe caused due to improper earthing.

10. kepe
    Froyo Jan 9, 2018

kepe , Jan 9, 2018 :
    It's actually 5V and 4A. But that has nothing to do with battery explosions. Batteries catch on fire if there is something physically wrong with them and they short-circuit, not because you are charging while using the phone. OnePlus even advertises that its charging solution keeps charging quickly even if you use the phone at the same time.

Plus, Dash Charge has the voltage modulating electronics within the charger instead of in the phone like other quick charge systems do, which moves most of the heat generation from the phone to the charger. So OP phones don't even have the risk of overheating while charging.

11. kepe
    Froyo Jan 9, 2018

kepe , Jan 9, 2018 :
    Phone chargers don't have the earthing pins, so there is no earthing. That's why I was thinking about earthing myself to see if it makes a difference.

12. aakashsood
    Jelly Bean Jan 9, 2018

aakashsood , Jan 9, 2018 :
    Then you might wanna try charging your phone somewhere else and observe if the issue still persists.

13. Sanjayg0912
    Eclair Jan 9, 2018

Sanjayg0912 , Jan 9, 2018 :
    Faulty cable , faulty adaptor or faulty plug points cause this. I have this issue while charging my phone on specific plug points like in train.

we all know those plug points are garbage. Since you have this issue with all plug points try different cable and adaptor.

Never use cheap cables. not worth . It screws your phone big time.

14. S1513752933411
    Gingerbread Jan 9, 2018

Well I am not an expert but you should have a look at this..

https://gadgetstouse.com/featured/drawback-simultaneous-use-charge/33587/amp

And try charging your phone using different sockets and see if problem exists on all of them. Secondly you could also use a stabiliser and see if problem is due to electrical fluctuations. If stabiliser is not around try charging using USB cable.

15. S1513752933411
    Gingerbread Jan 9, 2018

16. kepe
    Froyo Jan 9, 2018

kepe , Jan 9, 2018 :
    I've already tried using a USB socket on my desktop PC and my PS4. And I've tried the Dash Charger and a QuickCharge 3 charger.

This issue seems to be mostly related to where I sit while the phone is charging. I guess some seats generate more static electricity which then messes up the touch screen, or something. Yesterday, while charging from my PS4 and sitting in a lounge chair, touch recognition was all over the place. Now I'm charging from the PS4 again with the same cable, but I'm sitting in a desk chair, and there are no problems with touch recognition.

WOW. I just earthed myself by touching a radiator and tried to write, and the touch recognition went completely crazy. So it seems that you must insulate yourself while charging for the screen to work properly.

Here's a test: the image with a red line was drawn while I was earthed by touching my foot to a radiator. The image with the green line was drawn without being earthed.

1515518892462.jpg
    Image 1. Touch test while charging and body earthed.

1515518892520.jpg
    Image 2. Touch test while charging and body not earthed.

As you can see, being earthed while charging causes a huge problem with the touch screen, while it works perfectly fine when you're not earthed.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018

17. S1513752933411
    Gingerbread Jan 9, 2018

Not a solution but a trivial help would be to use plastic protective cover. That should insulate the phone well enough.

18. kepe
    Froyo Jan 9, 2018

kepe , Jan 9, 2018 :
    I'm using an original OnePlus cover and an original OnePlus glass screen protector. Doesn't help. Touch screens work by detecting your finger using electric conductivity. Clearly earthing yourself while charging causes some kind of a change in the electric properties between your finger and the touch screen, and this messes up touch detection.

19. BlessonVSimon
    Donut Aug 19, 2019

BlessonVSimon , Aug 19, 2019 :
    I was using op6 . Now i just upgraded to op6t.... But this kindof issues found in op6t alone.. same plug point.. don't know why.. op6 works welll...

20. Waveform Modifier
    Marshmallow Aug 19, 2019

Waveform Modifier , Aug 19, 2019 :
    Wrong forum