Touch screen issues on the OnePlus One, and how OnePlus is failing its users

?

Variations occur between devices, what issue(s) do you have with the One's touch screen, if any?

1. Unresponsive/glitchy typing

48.1%
  2. Sections of the touch screen not responding (This includes issues when scrolling around on apps/web)

23.4%
  3. Multitouch issues, the multitouch does not work correctly (This includes issues with pinch to zoom)

39.7%
  4. No issues at all, it is as responsive as any other device I have owned.

30.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. oscarvanl Jelly Bean Sep 4, 2014

oscarvanl, Sep 4, 2014 :
    Firstly I'd like to ask the admins kindly to not remove this thread, it is not a thread I feel is unrelated or should be moved to technical support. This is posted in "The One" as it is highly relevant to the One.

Though this issue seems to vary from device-to-device, it is clear there are some issues with the touch screen on this device. Here is what CyanogenMod said a month ago https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse...issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-33797

08/Aug/14 9:50 PM

Status Update on this ticket (and related):

As many of your comments have already found, our investigation into this issue has led to isolating the cause of the behavior to the touchscreen firmware found within the One. Unfortunately, Cyanogen does not control this element, we merely serve as a vehicle to deliver and utilize the firmware as provided by other partners.
    We are working with those partners to provide a permanent solution to this issue. In the meantime, in the absence of an immediate remedy, we are placing workaround solutions - including the kernel patch linked above.
    As for delivery of this fix to you, while I do not have (and frankly cannot provide) a time line for deployment of this to your devices, I can state that we are anticipating a 2-staged rollout. The first build will bring the much wanted Android 4.4.4 updates to your devices, with fixes for various other items (marked as 'resolved in July OTA'). This build is already in the approval process for deployment, and we expect to release as soon as blessed by all certification parties.
    The second build, also targeted for August, will provide the kernel patch and temporary workaround mentioned for this ticket. This must go through its own approval process as well, but we understand the urgency of this particular fix and are pursuing this second builds approval with that same urgency in mind.

This has also been confirmed by Pete Lao, the CEO of OnePlus during a recent AMA. http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2evw99/oneplus_amaa_late_august_edition/ck3ic3t

I think that we have waited long enough, unless OnePlus wants its users to make PayPal Chargebacks we need more transparency on the fix, we need an update on the progress and we need most importantly a fix. OnePlus needs to take charge of the issue and put more pressure on the digitizer vendor (Synaptics) to come up with a fix.

For those who haven't experienced the issue, here is what I have experienced.

I recieved my One 2 months ago on the 25R update, the phone's touch screen was immediately noticed to be unresponsive for typing which forced me to type slowly, I also noticed that if I used the device on an ungrounded surface like my pillow, bed or sofa it completely went bezerk - The touch screen was very bad.

The touch screen issues have evolved to be much worse since then

As of the current update 33R which was supposed to improve the touch screen issues, I have experienced the following.

While on holiday in Greece the heat and humidity (38C and 95% humidity) seemed to make the issues even worse, the entire screen regularly stopped working for any inputs at all, sometimes just half of the screen. After 2-4 reboots and leaving the phone in a cool dark place it started to work fine again.

After returning to England where it is much cooler I have found that the touch screen acts up especially bad while the phone is in a case, and after removing the device from my pocket (even if it's not in a case) after walking around causes these issues too.

It is embarrassing to own a phone that does not even allow me to draw my lock screen pattern - That is how bad it is. The touch screen stops sensing my finger while drawing my simple unlock pattern. You know your phone is fundamentally flawed when it takes 6 attempts to successfully unlock it.

This is ignoring the issue almost everyone has, the unresponsive typing. This makes typing a few sentences painfully annoying. You have to type much slower than with other phones. What is the point of having a fast phone when you can type faster on a cheap, laggy android phone?

I hope others who have had the same issue will put more pressure on OnePlus with me and I hope this issue is resolved, looking past these issues my OnePlus One is perfect. It's a great phone. I would appreciate it if OnePlus sees this to contact me privately, I would definitely like to hear an update on the issue from them.

Please vote on the issue on the cyanogenmod bug tracker here. https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/BACON-55

Finally, here are some examples of issues people with the OPO have had.

Typing issue example
    https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/secure/attachment/17113/SCR_20140728_101546.mp4
    Multitouch issue example
    https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/secure/attachment/17884/Error pantalla OTA 33R.mp4
    Another Multitouch issue example
    https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/secure/attachment/18127/multitouch issue.mp4

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014

2. EvilSpeaks Jelly Bean Sep 4, 2014

3. fazfactor Honeycomb Sep 4, 2014

acwe likes this.
  4. oscarvanl Jelly Bean Sep 4, 2014

oscarvanl, Sep 4, 2014 :
    This is not new information, I have witnessed the admins on the forums deleting similar threads.

superchinook, gremlin, 2+2=5 and 4 others like this.
  5. vldude93 Gingerbread Sep 4, 2014

vldude93, Sep 4, 2014 :
    everyones having issues with the phone, kind of skeptical to buy one. oh wait i can't because i have to wait for an invite.
    [​IMG]

superchinook, acwe, eijom and 4 others like this.
  6. fazfactor Honeycomb Sep 4, 2014

fazfactor, Sep 4, 2014 :
    Hmm... I am happy you have brought it to the notice of users once again :D

7. harshal_h4u Honeycomb Sep 4, 2014

8. oscarvanl Jelly Bean Sep 4, 2014

oscarvanl, Sep 4, 2014 :
    Don't get me wrong. Most of the issues vary, many users have perfectly fine OPOs. My OPO was almost perfect until the 33R update causing multiple worsened issues. This is a great phone but some issues still remain, issues that could be fixed - This could quite easily be a fixable firmware issue.

9. Aaahh Lollipop Sep 4, 2014

10. oscarvanl Jelly Bean Sep 4, 2014

oscarvanl, Sep 4, 2014 :
    Hopefully the admins won't remove my thread like many others.

gremlin and djnewt4 like this.
  11. spirto82 Honeycomb Sep 4, 2014

spirto82, Sep 4, 2014 :
    lately i have been skeptical about this phone. Many argue that they have problems with the phone ... The problem is that there is a variety of them ...
    Anyways I want to have this phone, because with every update more problems meet their solution ...
    Just be patient for a while ... :/

djnewt4 likes this.
  12. Aaahh Lollipop Sep 4, 2014

Aaahh, Sep 4, 2014 :
    No issues remain for me...

13. oscarvanl Jelly Bean Sep 4, 2014

oscarvanl, Sep 4, 2014 :
    Hope to hear from you. Try comparing the typing of your OPO and another smartphone.

djnewt4 likes this.
  14. deepakmad2002 Gingerbread Sep 4, 2014

15. Deactivated User Sep 4, 2014

hilalhmuhammed likes this.
  16. fazfactor Honeycomb Sep 4, 2014

fazfactor, Sep 4, 2014 :
    Hmm... Nah! Not this time.. Fingers crossed :p

17. oscarvanl Jelly Bean Sep 4, 2014

oscarvanl, Sep 4, 2014 :
    Most of the issues vary, many users have perfectly fine OPOs. My OPO was almost perfect until the 33R update causing multiple worsened issues. This is a great phone but some issues still remain, issues that could be fixed - This could quite easily be a fixable firmware issue. These fixes aren't materialising though. It's been a month with no further updates on the progress of the fix.

18. oscarvanl Jelly Bean Sep 4, 2014

oscarvanl, Sep 4, 2014 :
    If you are having the touch issues, I would say to wait it out for a while first. This might be fixed in a firmware patch.

19. harshal_h4u Honeycomb Sep 4, 2014

harshal_h4u, Sep 4, 2014 :
    S
    u Sure buddy

20. jeth1018 Honeycomb Sep 4, 2014

jeth1018, Sep 4, 2014 :
    we are in the same boat. i feel like wanting to buy sony z2 or note 4. expensive but at least everyone are invited to have one

hilalhmuhammed and adors085 like this.