Touch sensitivity issues: A letter to OnePlus...

1. bobby2005 Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 13, 2014

bobby2005, Oct 13, 2014 :
    Most of the people find this thread after they have purchased OPO. The same was happen to me

2. reggiexp Gingerbread Oct 14, 2014

reggiexp, Oct 14, 2014 :
    I toke the risk and i got a good workinf phone. Love it. :-D
    Just need to root it and get some battery apps working to much wakelocks etc. Batttery still okay but could be way better

3. tentacle Cupcake Oct 19, 2014

tentacle, Oct 19, 2014 :
    I got my phone end of July and was working fine until about 3 days ago. When typing it feels like it lags and doesn't register every press such as when I go to turn it on I have to double tap twice to wake it up and now the keyboard is registering swpes when I am just tapping fast between letters. I had this happen before updating. I did the update but problem is the same. Is there anything I can do to fix this or am I going to need to do an RMA? I've never dropped the phone so puzzeled why this just started happening :(

4. kozaxinan Eclair Oct 23, 2014

kozaxinan, Oct 23, 2014 :
    I made an app that fix this problem. It is tested on 4 OnePlus Ones and it reduces effect of ghost touch and fixed that problem. A quick fix until CM update driver.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kozaxinan.fixoposcreen

Regards
    Sinan

masterbox likes this.
  5. bobby2005 Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 24, 2014

6. bobby2005 Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 24, 2014

bobby2005, Oct 24, 2014 :
    I installed the app. For the two months I am using OPO I had two times when I got ghost touches.
    Now app shows me 1 fix of screen issue after 20 minutes of use :rolleyes:. It means that I have more issues than I see in real or what.......

7. carburano Jelly Bean Oct 24, 2014

carburano, Oct 24, 2014 :
    I noticed you spammed every jira issues and thread regarding touch issue.

BTW i'd like to ask you how your app works and what it did.You know, this is a community and you should help CM in jira to solve the problem. Spamming your app is not a great behaviour.

So... Please explain technically how you did to "solve" or "improve" touch issues.

bobby2005 likes this.
  8. kozaxinan Eclair Oct 25, 2014

kozaxinan, Oct 25, 2014 :
    Actually thanks for asking kindly. I didnt want to spam anybody. I was disturbed by this bug (Opening notification panel issue). I build this app and use it a while. After i am sure, this app reduces the effect, I want to share with all of OPO user. I want to help CM if it is posible but i believe they dont want my fix because it is just a workaround. Not an actual fix for driver or touch screen.

I'm sorry if there are any bother because of my post to jira and forum. That was not my intention.

What is the problem: The problem is shown in the BACON-347 (https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/BACON-347). There is some ghost touch above status bar which cause to open notification panel. After first touch to screen phone assume that this two touch releated (Your touch and ghost touch) and tell system to there is a slide from first touch to second one. This action opens the notification panel. But if the second touch is for hang up to call phone cant do that because it assume that you want to open notification.

How app works: During a phone call app put a view above status bar and absorb the effect of ghost touch(When this happened, fix count increase) After user's first touch, if user try to hang up call, app assist user and close the call. But if user touch any other position other than close button, app close and dont open the notification panel. That is all.

I will put my code github.

9. carburano Jelly Bean Oct 25, 2014

carburano, Oct 25, 2014 :
    Thanks a lot for your explanation and your work

kozaxinan likes this.
  10. bobby2005 Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 25, 2014

bobby2005, Oct 25, 2014 :
    I am really glad to see people like you - as customers of OPO we need a lot of help in order to use this phone normaly

kozaxinan likes this.
  11. kozaxinan Eclair Oct 25, 2014

kozaxinan, Oct 25, 2014 :
    Thanks a lot :)

carburano likes this.
  12. Sarevok Cupcake Oct 26, 2014

Sarevok, Oct 26, 2014 :
    I'm having this issue (as well as a few ghost touches now and then).
    Are you getting an RMA or your money back? Or nothing at all.

I'm regretting my OPO purchase now. :(
    I was hoping it could be fixed with FW upgrades. I don't have that hope anymore.

13. cbendan Gingerbread Oct 27, 2014

cbendan, Oct 27, 2014 :
    Searching over there (xda), I've seen this problem in other smartphones (Z1, Htc...).

14. masterbox Eclair Oct 29, 2014

masterbox, Oct 29, 2014 :
    I'll try your app ASAP, thanks for sharing it, as it happened enough to be anoying.

15. maxiv Eclair Nov 12, 2014

maxiv, Nov 12, 2014 :
    I've been part of this thread within the first 10 pages, but I've sold my OPO back then so I haven't been keeping up with what's going on.
    I'm thinking about buying the OPO again, so there are a few questions regarding this issue, that I would like to ask.

1) I've been having issues with the "left swipe to delete a word"-function in Swiftkey. If I would swipe from right to left, let's say from "K" to "D", it should normally just delete the last word. But instead my OPO just typed the letter where I finished the swipe, "D" in this case. Is this still an issue?

2) when typing quickly some letters wouldn't get recognized, especially if they were physically close together. It this still the case?

3) How did the grounding issue with multi touch recognition turn out!?

16. maxiv Eclair Nov 13, 2014

17. razvant Eclair Nov 27, 2014

razvant, Nov 27, 2014 :
    I'll start by answering to the question number 3.

So this thread started in Jul 31, 2014. Now it's Nov 27, 2014. After 4 months, probably the most common hardware issue as grounding couldn't be solved. More than that, they didn't even fully acknowledge the issue even after a user of this forum specifically showed them where to look.
    I bet that if they would take randomly like 5 different phones, they would find at least 1 with grounding issues.

For the ones who still don't believe it, here it is my phone with the production date 2014.10.27.

If you ask me, I'd bet that more or less all of them have the same hardware issue. It's just some phones are affected more than others.

Seeing their RMA response times and the fact that even if you manage to get the device replaced, it's very likely that you'll receive a device with the same problem I'd consider the $350 more of a gamble.
    Take your chances and you might get a fully functional device but in case you didn't, be prepared to go through the RMA nightmare and even then you'll most probably receive another faulty one.

As far as questions 1 and 2 goes, they were fixed (masked) through software updates as I don't experience them. Since my phone is a newer revision I never encountered them.

It's hilarious how producers are pushing sharper and sharper screens, even 4k resolutions, but they are not able to do the proper grounding. One would think that proper grounding is the most basic 'feature' a phone should have.
    HTC, Asus (Nexus 7), Oppo, all of them had/have phone models with grounding issues more or less acknowledged.

18. Marrow452 Froyo Nov 28, 2014

Marrow452, Nov 28, 2014 :
    Very interesting to read the replies from Oneplus support back on page 40/41. Looks like they admitted it affects all devices back in August, now they suddenly can't reproduce the fault.

Mouro_81 likes this.
  19. dolfgoog Honeycomb Nov 29, 2014

dolfgoog, Nov 29, 2014 :
    That's right, it won't work. I have done some testing with earphones as well as a void 3,5 jack. It ONLY works when you touch these items with some part of your body. As soon as the earphones ar laying around without touching me, the problems reappear after some tries.

Remember it's a grounding issue where static electricity is involved. It decreases or dissappears when phones body is in touch with you as much as possible. juddlevy posted a video in my thread clearly showing that the problems dissappear after putting his phone on his bare knee and reappear as soon as it is on a different surface.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014

20. dolfgoog Honeycomb Nov 29, 2014

dolfgoog, Nov 29, 2014 :
    After doing my own research on the grounding issue on my brand new OPO and posting the results in my thread, I came accross your thread that is already 73 pages long. I am really surprised and confused that this exact grounding issue is well known at OnePlus for so long already.

I have been defending OnePlus the last few days because I understand they have a lot of catching up to do. But this is just insane. When there is such a clear hardware issue, you should address it with all means instead of focussing on increasing production rate. Right now the pressure is building up because vantt1 fix has hit the news and if they don't act soon, they risk massive amounts of refund claims. I start to believe that every OPO has grounding issues, only severity varies (very much). It also depends of usage and expectations whether you experience the issues in real life (your father is good example of this).

ahighfield, Dusha and carburano like this.