Touch sensitivity issues: A letter to OnePlus...

1. pyr0ball
    Eclair May 13, 2015

pyr0ball , May 13, 2015 :
    The reason for this is they need to make sure the issue isn't caused by physical or water damage. It's standard practice to capture this kind of data before approving any kind of warranty claim.

-an ex SquareTrade Warranty Support Tech

2. GHouse88
    Cupcake May 15, 2015

GHouse88 , May 15, 2015 :
    Sorry to disagree, but I believe standard practice would be if I send them my phone and they check that by themselves. Never had to prove it by myself or heard of such a practice ever before...

3. pyr0ball
    Eclair May 15, 2015

pyr0ball , May 15, 2015 :
    Most likely because you were dealing with large manufacturers or carriers like AT&T who have oodles of phones on hand to send out as replacements and can afford to do the diagnostics themselves in every case. Oneplus is a small company and they have limited resources, so if they had everyone who claimed to be having an issue send their phone in in every single case, the workload on the hardware techs would be 4-5x as much as it is now. Consider the possibilities:

1. Someone with a legit defect
    2. Someone who's caused physical damage to their phone and doesn't know it
    3. Someone who knows they've damaged their phone and thinks they can still get it fixed for free
    4. Someone who has a software or accessory related problem (not a phone hardware issue)
    5. Someone who doesn't actually have a problem at all and is being a technology hypochondriac for lack of a better term
    6. Someone who's phone is working perfectly fine, but wants to take advantage of their warranty before it expires and tries to force a company to give them a new phone

In my time working at that warranty agency, I saw all of these different scenarios numerous times, and while not all of the non-legit issues can be weeded out by taking pictures, a vast majority of them can be, and it takes all of 5-10 minutes on the part of the user instead of the days/weeks it takes shipping it back and forth only for Oneplus to tell the customer they're not getting their phone fixed, when they could easily confirm it by visual inspection. By having this policy in place, they're protecting the turnaround times for people who have real defective issues and need the warranty service. If Everyone were to send in their phones in every case, all of us would get slower repair turnaround times and Oneplus would get flamed constantly for not honoring warranties on phones that are not having warranty-covered issues

Last edited: May 16, 2015

4. luka97
    Cupcake May 19, 2015

luka97 , May 19, 2015 :
    I am experiencing touch issues since yesterday (I had the phone exposed to direct sunlight for one hour and it was a warm day (27°C)). Since that my touchscreen experienced massive ghost touches (I couldn't even turn off the phone). After I rebooted the phone ghost touches were gone for about 6-7 hours then they reappeard, another reboot and the touch works more or less fine. I also noticed that when the screen gets hot the touch doesn't respond, so I have to wait that it cools down or I have to reboot the phone. I also experienced lags or not recognized touches when typing.
    I have the phone since mid November and I never experienced any touch issues until yesterday altough I keep my phone in my pocket every day for several hours (warm environment).
    I've noticed that just after i reboot the phone, for more or less a minute the touch works perfectly then it gets worse as the time passes. After 6-7 hours the phone is completly unusable and I have to reboot it.
    If it was only a hardware issue, wouldn't the touch screen not respond after the reboot as well?

Flemmodk likes this.
  5. Flemmodk
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 19, 2015

Flemmodk , May 19, 2015 :
    @luka97
    Got the same problem, updated about 20 days ago. Before that no touch problems at all. But the last three days my phone have been behaving weird.
    After a couple of hours without being touched - it starts with several ghost touch and in the end no response at all. Only reboot makes it work as normal again.

Hate my phone at the moment or the update at least.

6. futurmat
    Donut May 20, 2015

futurmat , May 20, 2015 :
    Same problem here. Never had it until about 2 weeks ago. Now I got ghost touches, unresponsiveness, etc. I'm running on CM12. If this is really a software related issue would it be worth a try to install OxygenOS?

7. romanlol
    Gingerbread May 20, 2015

romanlol , May 20, 2015 :
    Installing OxygenOs won't help, i used both OOS and CM12 and the toochscreen had bugs in both cases.

8. pyr0ball
    Eclair May 21, 2015

pyr0ball , May 21, 2015 :
    My phone just went out for RMA for this exact issue. I'll let you guys know how it works when it comes back

9. deuse
    Jelly Bean May 26, 2015

deuse , May 26, 2015 :
    After all this time 1+ still say it's a software problem!
    we know it's a hardware problem and proved in this thread.

10. pyr0ball
    Eclair May 27, 2015

pyr0ball , May 27, 2015 :
    Sorta. The thing is, it's at least partially mitigated by software for some people, so it's due diligence for them to try the software fixes before jumping straight into hardware.

11. achohan91
    Gingerbread May 27, 2015

12. hunts41
    Cupcake May 27, 2015

hunts41 , May 27, 2015 :
    Same, figured it's caused by overheating.. from the responses I'm guessing there is no fix as yet? Annoying as it's not even properly summer yet! It's only going to get worse..

13. deuse
    Jelly Bean Jun 5, 2015

deuse , Jun 5, 2015 :
    1+ are still selling phones with screen problems. I hope people get their money back asap.

14. DaniBarts
    Cupcake Jun 16, 2015

15. steel333
    Cupcake Jun 16, 2015

16. eatkabab
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2015

eatkabab , Jun 29, 2015 :
    I got my phone maybe a month after it was released. After exactly 4 months the touchscreen input died and lost all sensitivity. Typing became impossible. After going back and fourth with support for 2 months they finally sent me another one. The new one was excellent for EXACTLY FOUR MONTHS!! Almost to the DAY! My damn touch is broken again now and I can't type. I'm furious! I'm also 1wk outside warranty.

With the first phone I tried every hack, crack, rom, reformat, anything I could find. Nothing would restore the touch. I assume it's a hardware issue. I've been looking around for a solution but haven't found anything. If there is anything, I would appreciate some direction.

Sorry for everyone that ever wasted their money on OnePlus, I won't be getting any more products from them. Thank you for your letter. It was very well documented and I support you 100%. Please contact me if there is anything I can do to help.