Touchscreen issues? We hear you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruscik12
    Cupcake May 10, 2015

Ruscik12 , May 10, 2015 :
    Ok for those that still do not have a fix for screen. Assuming your screen was fine until Cyanogen 12s fix is as fallows:
    Root and TWRP or similar your device.
    Download CM12.1 from Cyanogen website plus some gapps.
    Flash via TWRP (or similar)and let boot up, if you still have issues go below.
    Download firmware for KitKat ....44s (will probably work with never one as well but do not flash the one for CM12 or ColorOS). Make sure it is the full version one.
    Flash it via TWRP (or similar) and try to boot phone it will most likely fail.
    However after it fails go to recovery by shutting down the phone, holding down volume button and while pressed in pressing and releasing power button so phone reboots and boots to recovery.
    In there flash the CM 12.1 OS again and no issues.

Unless you had touch screen issues before the cm 12s update there is no reason to believe it is hardware. My phone was fine, then I flashed new firmware and 12s. OS ok but no good e-mail app so went back to stock Cyanogen and had screen issues asap and I went back to same nightly I had before. That has told me all I need to know about the "Hardware issue".

2. jonandreadolan
    Cupcake May 10, 2015

jonandreadolan , May 10, 2015 :
    Tried it so far and I haven't had any problems with screen jumping around. But if I do a screen test I still have problems while touching in two places along the x-axis. Makes for messy keyboard typing.

3. Joesnopy
    Cupcake May 10, 2015

Joesnopy , May 10, 2015 :
    I have not had the problem and I have been in hot weather being in the south my phone has been in heat. I wonder if it is the screen protector. I have not install one on my phone would like to know if it is part of the problem before I install one.

Last edited: May 10, 2015

4. Vdistul
    Gingerbread May 10, 2015

Vdistul , May 10, 2015 :
    Do NOT buy the OPO. The touchscreen issue is a hardware problem. You will have to ultimately replace your device if they will actually honor their warranty(which OnePlus did not with me). The problem starts off unnoticeable for most but becomes worst over time. Just get yourself a Nexus or another device that you can easily root so you don't lose the ability to customize. I promise you it's not worth risking your money on the OPO.

Slipshot, miizoo, Da Bozz and 2 others like this.
  5. dietrich000
    Froyo May 10, 2015

dietrich000 , May 10, 2015 :
    I have seen with and without cases or protectors, having the problem.

Slipshot and SomniusX like this.
  6. Joesnopy
    Cupcake May 10, 2015

Joesnopy , May 10, 2015 :
    Ok, thanks for the info.

7. johanmiltenburg
    Eclair May 10, 2015

8. wrezanoor
    Gingerbread May 10, 2015

wrezanoor , May 10, 2015 :
    No. I do not use any.

9. magnamentis
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 10, 2015

magnamentis , May 10, 2015 :
    this is a very old story and i don't really understand what't new here. this problem has been mentioned back in summer 2014 already and various attempts have been made to fix it with touch driver (firmware) updates. the best experience i got was with a late cm11 build and @Lord Boeffla kernel and the current firmware makes it very bearable. fact is that if i park my bike in the sun with the OPO in the craddle for navigation for about 5 minutes, let's say to use an ATM quick. no more touches are recongnized and the keyboards have never been really reliable as compared to my Nexus 5 or N7100 where each type sticks and one never has to tap twice. however it's still a great value for money device which i would not currently trade in for another one. so i'm a satisfied customer one could say, but i believe theat the hardware is faulty and that's it more or less. i just hope that they learned from this issue when it comes to bring the "TWO" to the market.

BTW, depending on how interested you are in the future of mobile computing, have a look at this thread about cross-platform and cross-device modular mobile computing: http://forum.xda-developers.com/har...oss-cevice-t3096951/post60450828#post60450828 well worth a read, enjoy :)

Last edited: May 11, 2015

wrezanoor likes this.
  10. wrezanoor
    Gingerbread May 10, 2015

wrezanoor , May 10, 2015 :
    @DinkoDes did you try this? Does this help?

11. Slipshot
    Honeycomb May 10, 2015

Slipshot , May 10, 2015 :
    I am waiting on opo at the moment to respond to my email that I sent Friday. The forums are a good place to at least feel like I am not alone. And maybe just maybe they will see how must stress, time, frustration. And change there RMA process. And most of all help the people who made this company what it is today.

12. ericvanbeurden
    Froyo May 10, 2015

ericvanbeurden , May 10, 2015 :
    Never had a problem with my OPO until I went to Abu Dhabi and faced temperatures between 35 and 40 degrees. Touchscreen not working, or hanging and auto opening applications. The device was overheated. Now back in NL everything back to normal.

13. raywdude
    Donut May 10, 2015

raywdude , May 10, 2015 :
    I have not (yet) seen the heat-related touchscreen issues on my device, where you'd get ghost swipes, non-functioning touches, and whatnot.

But I was able to easily reproduce the symptoms seen by @dolfgoog in https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...-by-static-electricity-demo-and-proof.193169/ where you'd see wobbling touches, disappearing touches when touches are parallel on X or Y, with the device sitting on the table or on a couch. The symptoms disappear if the phone was first placed in my hand or in a cradle made with aluminum foil and then the tests in the video were executed. Interestingly enough, doing the tests while the device plugged into the A/C adapter also makes the symptoms disappear. This does confirm that these multi-touch issues which were reported by numerous other people are in fact caused by grounding (or lack thereof), as per the thread by @dolfgoog.

Personally, I've also been seeing an issue related to the screen inconsistently treating swipes and flings. Sometimes it picks up a swipe as a fling, or a swipe does not correspond to the amount of swipe desired. This is easily noticeable coming from a Nexus 5 which did consistently handle swipes and flings, always. The inconsistency here causes annoyances when looking through a long article for example, where you'd expect a gentle swipe to move down a few lines but instead it randomly decides to fling to the bottom...

So there seems to be multiple touchscreen related issues going on, with different causes. All of these indicate to me that there's some kind of assembly issue during the production of the device, like the glue being used to assemble the display and touch layers, lack of shielding, etc... Hopefully I'm wrong and these can all be addressed appropriately and not at the customer's cost. For OnePlus' sake, hopefully this is all fixable with a firmware update, but I'm probably not alone in thinking that hope is rapidly deteriorating...

Touchscreen issues on a touchscreen phone is concerning to say the least... and I'd even say that is an understatement. As per OnePlus' ensiferous, "Having a touch screen phone with a non-working touchscreen is death to a company."
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/co...o_put_more_pressure_on_oneplus_to_fix/ck9jdzx

Last edited: May 10, 2015

get2him likes this.
  14. tbc1085
    Froyo May 10, 2015

tbc1085 , May 10, 2015 :
    How about just an answer from OnePlus on what the main hardware issues are and what the main software issues are. Perhaps a little more information on the problem and an estimated time frame for the final firmware? Too much to ask?

wrezanoor, Slipshot and avimit like this.
  15. HWAM
    Honeycomb May 10, 2015

HWAM , May 10, 2015 :
    I updated from CM11s. To CM12s, not via ota but via manual download. Is almost the same. After that I unlocked bootloader and flashed twrp and CM12.1. Now I have x-axis problems above 25 degrees Celsius. Explain if I can fix this. CM11s was sublime, never had problems.

16. HWAM
    Honeycomb May 10, 2015

HWAM , May 10, 2015 :
    I guess they want to keep things a secret. They know more! Absolutely!

Da Bozz likes this.
  17. griffar
    Honeycomb May 10, 2015

griffar , May 10, 2015 :

that a new company can have some issues with their first product is understandable...they had the very strikt invite system to sort out those issues....

but that they know about these issues (and even how to fix it - like some people show by isolating touchscreen and touchscreen cable)
    but didn't changed anything even a year passed...that is just ridiculess

wrezanoor likes this.
  18. mad-scientist
    Gingerbread May 10, 2015

mad-scientist , May 10, 2015 :
    Well i am interested in buying the oneplus one even after reading this but what i wanna know is is it fixed with the latest units ?

19. Justin Sensenig
    Cupcake May 10, 2015

Justin Sensenig , May 10, 2015 :
    I've been having problems with my screen. Sometimes it's fine, but sometimes I pull it out of my pocket and parts of the touchscreen won't work...if I manage to reboot the device, (with some difficulty) it is normally fine again...for a while. Any input?

20. alexandre.lewin
    Froyo May 10, 2015

alexandre.lewin , May 10, 2015 :
    I'm afraid it is not. One guy in the thread said he received a replacement device (new) which was also faulty.
    Moreover, as far as my experience with the Customer Service is going, I'd strongly recommend against doing so. Other worthy options are available on the market; but if the OnePlus One is the one you absolutely want, simply keep posted. But once again, I recommend against buying until the customer service improve and the touch issue is fixed.

pirata_1985 and Slipshot like this.