Tudia Merge case for OnePlus 5T review

1. handheld_addict Honeycomb Jan 11, 2018

handheld_addict, Jan 11, 2018 :
    Hello fellow 5T owners.

Tudia sent me a couple of their OnePlus 5T cases to review. The following comments are completely my own opinion.

Watch or read my review below!

First up is the Tudia Merge case. I was given the metallic slate color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Though perhaps not as rugged as an OtterBox case, this is a nice step up from slim minimal cases while still keeping a fairly slim profile. The case is composed of 2 pieces: a flexible TPU and a hard plastic backing. There's a very slight sparkle texture on the backing that reflects in the light.

My biggest (pleasant) surprise is the hard backing. In all pictures & video I've seen it looks slippery. But it's coated with some sort of rubbery material that gives it a soft touch silicone feel. It's actually quite grippy.

[​IMG]

The back plate is attached by small tabs on the sides. I noticed a small bit of "manufacturing imperfection" on the exposed TPU back but it will be covered up anyway. I was also checking to see if there might be room here to fit a magnetic plate for car vent mounts between the backing and the TPU part ... but nope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe a magnetic plate might fit in the back but it would've been great if it wasn't right against the phone. But then again maybe that would've caused the 2 pieces of the case to separate more easily.

[​IMG]

Buttons are clicky and responsive but could be a bit more responsive. Not bad, but not the best.

The volume buttons have + and - and the power button has an icon too. Nice little touches.

[​IMG]

There's cool looking ridges along the sides of the TPU which add to the grippiness.

The alert slider cutout is ok... I wish it was a little bit more cut out, it's a bit difficult to access. Again not the worst but could be better.

[​IMG]

USB port cutout is good: no problem with the supplied Dash USB cable. Headphone cutout is good with thin jacks. Older or more high end jacks might not fit.

The fingerprint reader cutout is scalloped at a deeper angle at the bottom which feels nice when using the phone vertically.

[​IMG]

But I often unlock my phone holding it horizontally to watch video. Even though the angle favours the other position it's not bad this way either.

[​IMG]

Maybe the best aspect of this case is the camera cutout. It's definitely deeper than the camera bulge. I know a lot of us have been concerned by the lack of camera glass protection from most slim cases. I have little worry about that with this one.

[​IMG]

My biggest concern with this case is the lip around the screen. I'd like it to be a bit higher. As you can see it is very slightly raised but not much. I don't know if a tempered glass screen protector would come up flush with it.

[​IMG]

Overall, the Tudia Merge seems like a good semi-rugged case. It doesn't look like OtterBox will be coming out with a OnePlus 5T case so for those looking for a more protective case this is a good option. Would have liked more screen lip protection, and would've been nice if it had a kickstand in the back. I'm more partial to slim cases but I'll definitely be using this when I need more rugged protection.

[​IMG]

Thanks to David from Tudia for supplying the review unit. I think I will buy the black one for myself, the metallic slate looks nice but I think the all black would look really good.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. Hope it was helpful if you're looking for good cases.

OnePlus 5T Karbon bumper case review

OnePlus 5T official red silicone case - review

Tudia Lucion OnePlus 5T case review

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018

2. Nick 59 Lollipop Jan 11, 2018

Nick 59, Jan 11, 2018 :
    Great review, thank you.
    I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy one but really appreciate the detail you have gone into. I hope we're going to see a whole series. [e]1f609[/e]

3. handheld_addict Honeycomb Jan 11, 2018

Thanks, that's really nice to hear. I'm a big fan of phones, and love these last few OnePlus phones, and I'm also a big case user. I buy them like crazy. So if I come across any that I feel are notable I like to let the community know, give them as much info as I can.

Nick 59 likes this.
  4. Jesusmanuel22 Gingerbread Jan 11, 2018

Jesusmanuel22, Jan 11, 2018 :
    Personally I'm a fan of Tudia cases, rocked them on my OnePlus 3 and now rocking it on my OnePlus 5. The protection it provides is insane for how slim it is and for the price. Both the OP3 and the OP5 have been saved by this case from some really nasty drops from all angles. I also like the looks of it so it's a win win.

Also, great info and review. You should make more of these

handheld_addict likes this.
  5. handheld_addict Honeycomb Jan 11, 2018

Thanks for sharing your experience with these cases. I've had a couple Tudia cases in the past, but not this particular model. I had the Arch, I think that's what they call their basic black TPU case, for my Nexus 6P & OP3T. But I found it pushed up the stock screen protector on the OP3T so I never used it for that phone. I'm happy to see they're a lot more compatible now, though I don't know how they'll handle tempered glass screen protectors.

6. niijonodhg Honeycomb Jan 11, 2018

niijonodhg, Jan 11, 2018 :
    Great post! I've also been sent the TUDIA MERGE & LUCION for my OnePlus 5T. I've literally just posted the video up on YouTube for anyone who wants to see these in action.

As a bonus, I've just finished filming making my own Star Wars Edition OnePlus 5T and the Lucion is a real nice addition to keeping that look fresh!

7. handheld_addict Honeycomb Jan 18, 2018

handheld_addict, Jan 18, 2018 :
    Nice. I'm working on a review of the Tudia Lucion case myself, if I had a white 5T it would definitely be my go to case for it.