[Tutorial] How to Increase the Storage Space on OnePlus TV

1. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jan 4, 2020

Venky61 , Jan 4, 2020 :
    Cover Storage.png
    Hello fellow OnePlus TV users,
    I am back again with another Tutorial :) And this time, it's on the process of Expanding the Internal Storage Space.

The OnePlus TV comes with a Storage Space of 16GB out of which around 7.4 GB is taken up by the Android OS and only 8.6GB is available for Apps, Data and Media. If you are going to use the TV only for media consumption from OTT Apps like Prime Video, Netflix etc, then the available space should not be much of an issue. But, if you are a user who would want to play games on the TV, then the storage space available would be a big limitation. With just a couple of large size games installed, the storage space exhausts.

Fortunately, there is an option to expand the Storage space of the TV. Here are few things to keep in mind before proceeding further,
    • You would need a Pen Drive or USB Hard Drive, preferably of USB 3.0.
    • The storage added would not be clubbed directly to the internal storage but instead makes an extra partition where you can install large size Games/Apps. For example, you have 4GB free internal space and you added 4GB pendrive, you cannot download a 5GB file as both are different partitions and cannot be clubbed.
    • Make sure you backup all the content from the USB Drive before using it as internal storage, as it would be totally formatted in the process.
    • Do not disconnect the drive during the process.
    • Even after expanding the storage, all the apps cannot be transferred to the USB Drive. Many of the small size apps install only on the internal space and there is no way to transfer.
    • If the USB drive stops working or is disconnected, many of the apps might not work properly on the TV as part of the App Data is on the USB Drive. So before disconnecting the drive, please follow the procedure mentioned in Step 6.
    Step 1:
    Connect the USB Drive to the TV.
    Go to Settings< More Settings < Storage. The Device storage will list Internal Shared Storage and the Removable Storage will list the USB Drive.
    Storage1.jpg

Step 2:

Select the USB Drive and click on "Erase & Format as Device Storage". A confirmation message will appear. Select Format and the USB will be now formatted to be used as Device Storage. It would take around 20-40 sec for the process.
    Note: During the formatting process, there will be a notification popup "External device ejected" and the screen would go blank. Do not worry, it is part of the process.
    Storage2.png

Step 3:

Once the formatting is done, the Home screen will be loaded.
    Go to Settings< More Settings < Storage. This time both the Internal Storage and USB drive will be listed in Device Storage. This confirms that the process has been successful.
    Screenshot_20191229-112354.png

Step 4:

Select the USB Drive and click on "Migrate Data to this storage". This will move the app data and large apps to the USB drive partition. Wait till the transfer process is completed.
    Storage3.jpg

Step 5:
    Install any large size game.
    Go to Settings < Apps and check the App Info of the Installed Game. The storage used will be displayed as USB Drive. You can change the storage partition for Apps/Games that support the feature.
    Screenshot_20191229-113946.png

Step 6:
    If at any point of time, you want to disconnect the Drive.
    Uninstall all the large size Apps that you have installed on USB Drive (If you have enough space on Internal storage, then you can even transfer).
    Go to Settings< More Settings < Storage < Internal Storage and select "Migrate Data to this Storage".
    This will transfer the app data back to the internal storage.
    Storage4.jpg
    Now Select USB Drive in Storage and click "Erase & Format as Removable Storage". First Select "Backup Apps" to transfer the Apps to Internal Storage and then select "Format" to complete the process.
    Storage5.jpg

Personal Experience:
    I have used a 1TB USB 3.0 Hard drive to expand the storage and installed couple of large size games. The loading times are slightly higher (3-5 sec) than the Internal Storage but I did not experience any lag during the gameplay.

Hope this tutorial helps you in exploring the capability of the TV. Do share your experiences too. :D:cool:
    For other useful info regarding the OnePlus TV, check the Mega Thread here,
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/mega-thread-oneplus-tv-q1-series-guide.1155317/

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020

2. ginzon
    Froyo Jan 6, 2020

Venky61 likes this.
  3. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jan 6, 2020

Venky61 , Jan 6, 2020 :
    Thank you :)
    Keep in mind to use at least 64-128GB drive (if possible) for being future proof. The downloads folder is transferred to External Drive only, so it's easy to even download/transfer 4K UHD movies into local drive and watch without the limitation of local network streaming speeds.

ginzon likes this.
  4. ginzon
    Froyo Jan 7, 2020

ginzon , Jan 7, 2020 :
    Thanks for your advice buddy... I need the drive for games only...

For movies.. I'm already streaming locally via Plex (4k as well) ;) .. Loaded my old PC with Ubuntu, deluge and Plex server.. All downloads and media server jobs are delegate to that box... Saves me the time to transfer a huge 4k movie :p ..

Venky61 likes this.
  5. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jan 7, 2020

Venky61 , Jan 7, 2020 :
    Ha ha... That's good... I used to do that too. But to test Dolby content on the TV, there's no other option than to play from Local Drive... Now that my USB Hard drive is engaged as internal storage, I have to transfer files ;)

ginzon likes this.
  6. SiddarthaRao
    Froyo Jan 7, 2020

Venky61 likes this.
  7. ginzon
    Froyo Jan 7, 2020

ginzon , Jan 7, 2020 :
    Well.. We have a 2.1 on TV.. I think Dolby audio (AC3) plays well via Plex local streaming i.e. upto 5.1 later everything is TrueAtmos from Dolby which gets transcoded.. Need to verify now that you have put a doubt in my mind :p ...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020

8. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jan 8, 2020

Venky61 , Jan 8, 2020 :
    Glad you find it helpful :)

The Plex Player is capable of playing AC3 files but downgraded. If it were actually processing Dolby Audio or Video, you would get a notification as you do in default player. Try playing an Atmos file in default player and plex, you will know the difference am talking about. Anyway at present the default player struggles to provide smooth playback, so it's only for testing.

ginzon likes this.
  9. Sabaat172
    Eclair Apr 17, 2020

Sabaat172 , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 17, 2020 :
    I migrated the data back to the internal storage but still there's no option to format usb stick! please help only eject option is shown and when I use the stick on my pc it isn't recognised

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020

10. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Apr 18, 2020

Venky61 , Apr 18, 2020 :
    Can you share the screenshot of options showed for both the devices.

11. ksathish17
    Cupcake May 25, 2020

ksathish17 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , May 25, 2020 :
    Hi, I have been trying to extend the storage space using 16GB 3.0 usb drive, but when i inserted the usb drive there is no option to Erase & Format as device storage. kindly help.

screenshots attached.

Options I have tried :
    1. Reset the TV.
    2. Formatted the pendrive with NTFS and FAT32.

1590420640187.jpg

1590420640248.jpg

12. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert May 25, 2020

Venky61 , May 25, 2020 :
    Hi..
    My guess is that, as the USB drive storage space is same as the internal storage space it's not giving the option. It might work only if you connect a storage space larger than the existing one. I am not sure though.

Try these sequentially,
    1. Change the USB port and see if you get the options (Only NTFS)
    2. If 1 doesn't work, try with a USB drive or HDD or larger space to verify.

Let me know how it goes.

13. ksathish17
    Cupcake May 27, 2020

14. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert May 30, 2020

Venky61 , via OnePlus 6T , May 30, 2020 :
    Hey, seems like it's a bug. Thanks for bringing up. As I already expanded the storage, I did not face this. Will raise this issue to the team. Let's hope they solve it soon.

ksathish17 and suveerupadhyay like this.
  15. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jun 2, 2020

Venky61 , Jun 2, 2020 :
    Status Updated.

ksathish17 likes this.
  16. slnprasad
    Cupcake Jun 8, 2020

slnprasad , Jun 8, 2020 :
    Hi, you can format the usb drive by selecting Notifications on home page>USB storage>Format.

17. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jul 4, 2020

Venky61 , Jul 4, 2020 :
    Hey, the option to format storage is back now with the OTA5. :)

Aarav Sahni likes this.
  18. Moka69
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 6, 2020

Venky61 likes this.
  19. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jul 7, 2020

20. camohan
    Moderator Moderator Jul 18, 2020