[Tutorial] How to Sideload Apps on the OnePlus TV

1. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Dec 22, 2019

Venky61 , Dec 22, 2019 :
    Cover.png
    Hello Guys,
    The new update for the OnePlus TV with official Netflix Support and other minor fixes has been released recently. Read more details about the update here.

You all know that the OnePlus TV comes with Android TV OS. Being Stock Android, one would expect that the Play store gives access to thousands of famous Apps that we use frequently. But unfortunately that's not the case. I often see complaints on the TV Forums about "Why is this App not Supported on the TV"?
    To answer that question in detail, there are two major reasons.
    1. Google Holds the cards for any App to be listed in the Android TV Playstore. So any App that does not Comply with the Android TV requirements laid down by Google, will not find a place in the Play Store.
    2. The Individual App developer needs to consider the Android TV platform as one of his/her target device. For example, Why would Uber/Zomato/Amazon Shopping/Chrome consider a TV platform as one of the device to be used when a TV is still targeted as Media Viewing device.
    Also note that apps that have following requirements would be difficult to work on the TV platform unless the App Developer tweaks them for TV,
    • Apps with Vertical Positioning.
    • Apps that require Exact GPS location.
    • Apps that require multiple touches.
    The TV platform is so much dominated by the likes of Fire TV/ FireStick/ Web OS/ Smart OS etc. who have a forked Android and work in close co-operation with few App developers to attract more users. With such situation, the specific App developer need to know that many of their user base is expecting the app on TV platform too.
    To cut short, if you need any app to be supported for Android TV OS that's not listed.... Just contact the App Developer to provide support. If you can convince them, then you will have it.

Now coming back to the Topic, it's a very easy task to Sideload any APK onto the Android TV.
    It's a known fact that the OnePlus TV doesn't come with any default browser and even the browsers available in the playstore are not so friendly to browse and download APKs. So the best and easiest way is to download the APK on your phone and do Wireless Transfer to TV.

Note: Please keep in mind the following important points,
    • Always try to find verified websites to download an APK.
    • Chances of any APK to work is based on the the Android Version, permissions required by the app etc., So do not expect them to work because it worked on another TV or FireStick.
    • It's advised to Search for APKs specific to Android TV OS.
    • Both the TV and Phone need to be on the same Wi-Fi network.
    • Sideloading App may not void the warranty but installing apps from unknown websites might lead to malware entry into the OS. So please install at your own risk and responsibility.
    Step 1:
    Install the App named "Send Files to TV" on both your Phone and TV.
    Sideload1.jpg
    Step 2:
    Download the required APK on your phone and preferably save it in a folder that's easily accessible. I generally save it in "Downloads".
    Step 3:
    Open "Send File to TV" on the Phone and click on Send. The App will ask to select the file to be transferred. Browse through the folders and select the file you downloaded. The app will automatically search for the OnePlus TV available for file transfer, so select it.
    Sideload2.jpg
    Step 4:
    "Send Files to TV" will automatically open in the TV showing the progress of File Transfer.
    Screenshot_20191203-224025.jpg
    Step 5:
    Once the transfer is done, go to File Manager and browse to "Download" as it's the default storage path in the "Send Files to TV".
    Screenshot_20191203-224104.png
    Step 6:
    Click on the APK you have transferred and it will provide the Install option.
    Screenshot_20191203-224203.png
    Step 7:
    Once you click on install, it will ask for the permission to install unknown apps from the App you open the folder. Just provide permission to the file manager and go back to the APK and click install.
    Screenshot_20191203-224128.png
    Step 8:
    The App will now be successfully installed. Open and Enjoy.
    Screenshot_20191203-224220.png

Bonus Tips:

• You can follow the same procedure to transfer any media file from phone to TV.
    • The Android TV App launcher doesn't show most of the side loaded Apps in the list. So install an app called "Sideload Launcher" on the TV to see the total list of apps installed.
    • Some Apps when installed show cropped screen as they open in Portrait mode and the TV doesn't support. Install the App "The Rotation Screen Orientation App" to force apps to open in landscape.
    I hope the Tutorial was helpful for you guys. Do let me know if you face trouble in any of the steps or you have any alternative methods you find simpler. :)

For any other queries regarding the OnePlus TV, you can check the MEGA Thread that has many FAQ, issues reported and tips listed out.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020

2. puma95
    Jelly Bean Moderator Dec 25, 2019

puma95 , Dec 25, 2019 :
    Oh boy, how daring! I bet other TV's don't do sideloading like that :smirk:
    Pls gibb TV to Europe OnePlus!!1!:sob:

Big thumbs up for the tutorial Venky! :)

G_plusone, Venky61 and Starcommander like this.
  3. Starcommander
    Lollipop Dec 25, 2019

Starcommander , Dec 25, 2019 :
    Did I see dosa 😍😍😍🤣

Venky61 likes this.
  4. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Dec 25, 2019

Venky61 , via OnePlus 5 , Dec 25, 2019 :
    Ha ha... you didn't know that the OnePlus TV is named Dosa [e]1f601[/e][e]1f601[/e] Quite funny actually but one gets a hang of it...
    Next version can be vada [e]1f61d[/e]

5. Starcommander
    Lollipop Dec 25, 2019

Starcommander , Dec 25, 2019 :
    I know it. Just that I saw the word in the TV for the first time

Venky61 likes this.
  6. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Dec 26, 2019

Venky61 , Dec 26, 2019 :
    Hey thank you :) All smart TVs with stock Android TV OS have the same option of side loading :)

I had the same expression as you when I saw it in the TV. My wife even mocked saying, "kuch aur naam nahi mila tha kya unko" :D

Starcommander likes this.
  7. mokaeswar
    Gingerbread Dec 26, 2019

mokaeswar , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 26, 2019 :
    The techie working on naming TV (maybe, @Pete himself) must have become fan of Begum Bazar Dosa while visiting Hyderabad R&D Office. It worth naming your first girl child (considering Phones are boy child of OnePlus) with that name. #WeirdThoughts

Venky61 likes this.
  8. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Dec 28, 2019

Venky61 , Dec 28, 2019 :
    Ha ha you mean "Ram Ki Bandi"? Dosa sounds Unisex to me :p

9. mokaeswar
    Gingerbread Dec 28, 2019

Venky61 likes this.

Venky61 likes this.
  11. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Jan 19, 2020

Venky61 , via OnePlus 5 , Jan 19, 2020 :
    Hi,
    I have tried and it doesn't work. Airtel and JioTV have stopped its support for Non Mobile Devices. This is because now they have their own smart devices and the subscriptions are exclusive to them. The only half baked option is to side load Firefox and open airtelxstream site to view the videos but trust me it isn't worth it.

bhupengaitonde likes this.
  12. josevm
    Eclair Jan 31, 2020

13. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Feb 1, 2020

Venky61 , Feb 1, 2020 :
    Hi... I installed Chrome and Firefox but the experience on both are not upto the mark.

josevm likes this.