[Tutorial] How to Turn ON the Accessibility Permissions on the OnePlus TV Q and U Series

1. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jan 16, 2022

Venky61 , Jan 16, 2022 :
    Copy of Buds Pro.gif

Hey All,

A few months back I posted a tutorial on How to Remap the OnePlus TV Y series remote buttons using the Button mapper App. Many have been asking why the same tutorial is not applicable for the Q and U series TVs. The reason being Q and U series TVs do not provide the option to view Accessibility settings and as Accessibility permission is very crucial for some apps like the Button mapper App, the tutorial wouldn't work. Not just Button Mapper, there are other apps too that require this access like TVQuickActions, Twilight, TimeNetSpeed Monitor Etc.,

In this tutorial, I will be showing how to provide Accessibility permission to the Apps using the USB Debugging method where we need to connect the OnePlus TV with a Laptop/Desktop using a USB cable.

Disclaimer:
    You would need a Laptop/Computer and a USB A male to USB A male cable for following this procedure. It’s better if you can buy a Long USB cable or else holding the Laptop for a long time close to the TV can be a problem. If you don’t get a long USB A male to USB A male, then you can buy an additional long USB A male to USB A Female adapter for extending the length. I used the adapter+USB cable combo as I wanted to keep the laptop at least 3m away from the TV for ease of operation.

Procedure:
    1. Download Android Platform SDK tools on your Laptop to C drive and extract the Zip file.

2. Download the App you want to install on the TV. Let's Take “Button Mapper” as an example.

upload_2022-1-15_21-6-43.png

3. Open the App and accept/Provide all the permissions you can.

4. Go to Settings > More Settings > About and tap on Build Number for 7 times. You should get a message that you are a Developer Now.

5. Go to Settings> More Settings > Developer Options and Enable USB Debugging option.

upload_2022-1-15_21-7-29.png

6. Now connect your TV and Laptop using the USB cable. Q series and 55U1 users have to use the 2.0 port of the TV specifically as the debugging is enabled only for that port. Whereas U1S users can check which one of the ports gets detected on the laptop. You should get a popup on the TV to allow USB Debudding. Allow it.

upload_2022-1-15_21-7-53.png

7. Once the Laptop and TV are connected with the cable, go to the Platform Tools folder you have extracted on the Laptop. Inside the folder where you see “adb” file, hold the Shift button and press right-click then select “Open Power shell window here”.

8. Now type “adb devices” without the quotes to see if your TV is being detected. If it’s detected, it will list the S.No of your device.

9. Now you need the Package name of the App for sending a command from the Laptop. You can get the package name from the Apps section of the setting. You need to open the Particular App (Button mapper Here) on the APPS list of settings (Settings> Apps) and the package name will be listed below the version number on top. “flar2.homebutton” is the package name of Button Mapper.

upload_2022-1-15_21-8-29.png

10. Now type the following commands without the quotes
    “adb shell settings put secure enabled_accessibility_services flar2.homebutton”
    “adb shell pm grant flar2.homebutton android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS”
    Once you press enter after each of these commands, if you haven’t received any error, then the execution is successful.
    Note: For other apps, replace flar2.homebutton with the app’s package name and you are good to go.

11. Go back to Button Mapper App and map your TV remote keys. You can recheck this tutorial where I explained how to remap each button in detail.

Now though button mapper is a Free and easy-to-use app, I recently came across another App called “TVQuickActons” to Remap your TV remote buttons and I am totally in love with it. Unfortunately, it isn’t free like the Button Mapper App, it costs 180Rs ($2). As am already using it, thought of sharing my experience with you guys so that you can make a decision if you want to stick to Button mapper or buy this App. With button mapper, we can map one key for up to a maximum of 3 actions with actions like Single Press, Double Press and Long Press, whereas with TVQuickActions you can map up to 5 actions per button and there are some pretty interesting shortcuts too.

Procedure for TVQuickActions

1. Search for “TVQuickActions” on the TV Playstore and install it.

upload_2022-1-15_21-9-45.png

2. Follow steps 4-10 steps from the above procedure.

3. Now type the following commands without the quotes on power shell window of your laptop
    “adb shell settings put secure enabled_accessibility_services dev.vodik7.tvquickactions”
    “adb shell pm grant dev.vodik7.tvquickactions android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS”

4. Once the Setup Pages are done, here’s how the Home Page of the App looks like.

upload_2022-1-15_21-10-30.png

5. You can Add the mapping in “Actions” section by pressing on “Add” Button and pressing on the Button you want to Map when you get this Notification Window.

6. There are 2 “Button Action Types”. First one is “One Action” which is the same as Button mapper where you get to customize the Single Tap, Double Tap and Long press functions of the Button. The second one is “ TVquickActions Panel” which is my favorite as you get an overlay window with 5 action options for each button which is just like having the remote on Steriods.

7. You can customize the 5 actions (Left, Right, Up, Down and Centre). The customizations include
    Apps- for quick launching apps,
    Actions such as Toggling Wifi, Power, Settings, Screenshot etc.
    Features like Media Control panel, Cursor (mouse mode), BT Manager etc
    Keycodes - For some Mediakeys, Copy, Paste etc
    URL Shorcut - for Quickly opening any websites through browser, like a bookmark
    TV Inputs like HDMI inputs
    App Shortcuts - For any apps that have shortcut actions.
    It’s up to you how you want to map or configure the 5 actions. All can be App shortcuts or Actions or a mix of all categories.

8. I remapped the 1+ button with the QuickActions panel and this is how the Panel looks like which pops up on the screen once you press the button you selected for mapping. Once this panel comes up, you can select the action you want to execute by using the navigation keys.

upload_2022-1-15_21-11-11.png

9. Some of the Interesting Options include
    Application Dock” to get a dock at the bottom of the screen showing all Apps. Kind of LG WebOS app drawer at the bottom.

upload_2022-1-15_21-11-34.png

Night Mode” to apply color filters on the screen for ease of nighttime TV watching
    BT Manager” where you can quickly toggle the status of BT Devices

upload_2022-1-15_21-12-9.png

Sleep Timer” to quickly set a Sleep Timer instead of digging into settings
    Take Screenshot” - Works only for Interfaces and non-OTT Apps
    Media Control Panel” - To Control your music easily
    Cursor” - For getting a mouse mode for easily accessing some 3rd party apps that are not usable with Remote
    URL” - To give shortcuts for your fav sites like Google Photos or Airtel Xstream which do not have dedicated - Works if you have a browser installed.
    TV Inputs” - To quickly switch to a HDMI input, useful for parents who can’t navigate to DTH input from the home page.

To summarize, if you want to have more features on hand for each button and also try some new features like HDMI Input switch, BT manager, Refined Recent Apps page etc, TVQuickActions is a better option, provided you are willing to spend the one time cost of 180Rs.

Hope this tutorial is useful and you get to customize the remote and explore the possibilities :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022

ginzon, WakeAwake, the_o2 and 2 others like this.
  2. Sarah P.
    TV Digital Marketing Staff Member Jan 17, 2022

WakeAwake and Venky61 like this.
  3. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jan 17, 2022

Venky61 , Jan 17, 2022 :
    Thank you for going through it @Sarah P. and it's my pleasure to share the things with the community :)

WakeAwake likes this.
  4. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Jan 17, 2022

Yash Pratap Singh. , Jan 17, 2022 :
    Love it!!!
    Thanks for the tutorial! :D

WakeAwake and Venky61 like this.
  5. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jan 17, 2022

Venky61 , Jan 17, 2022 :
    I knew you would like that feature the most too ;)

WakeAwake and Yash Pratap Singh. like this.
  6. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Jan 17, 2022

7. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Jan 19, 2022

Yash Pratap Singh. , Jan 19, 2022 :
    Would a USB Type A to Type C (the one we got with phones) work? I'll connect Type A to TV and Type C to my laptop

8. Tobikage
    General Support Expert Award 2021 Jan 19, 2022

Tobikage , Jan 19, 2022 :
    Why not ? Technically should work.... As long as it's not thunderbolt.... It's still USB just over a different plug.

9. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jan 19, 2022

Venky61 , Jan 19, 2022 :
    Technically yes... Android have limitations of USB debugging support from a specific port, but I don't think Windows have such limitation. As anyway you are not going to purchase a cable, no harm in trying and confirming ;)

Tobikage and Yash Pratap Singh. like this.
  10. J1637553933162
    Cupcake Jan 22, 2022

Venky61 likes this.
  11. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jan 22, 2022

Venky61 , Jan 22, 2022 :
    Glad you liked it.

This app got an update today and now my favorite Dock feature has Dark Mode option along with the ability to sort the apps as per your requirement. Totally love it 🙂
    Screenshot_20220122-140946.png

12. sagarmanas
    Honeycomb Jan 31, 2022

sagarmanas , Jan 31, 2022 :
    I tried quicktvactions.. ADB method worked. But I am unable to map buttons in Q1. Whenever I click any particular button it is performing that action rather than analysing the button details and providing option to remap it's actions.

Venky61 likes this.
  13. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jan 31, 2022

Venky61 , Jan 31, 2022 :
    Ok.. Whenever that happens, Can you open Tvquickactions and check if there's an Error notification on the app home page about accessibility setting. That would narrow down the root cause.

14. sagarmanas
    Honeycomb Jan 31, 2022

sagarmanas , via OnePlus 7T , Jan 31, 2022 :
    No venky.there is no such error, it was initially present then I used the adb method then that message went away but I am not able to map even after that.

15. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jan 31, 2022

Venky61 , Jan 31, 2022 :
    Ok... Re-Install the app and Try repeating the ADB method one more time.

sagarmanas likes this.