[Tutorial] How to use the OPO on T-Mobile USA

1. NotoriousAMIT
    Cupcake Apr 3, 2015

NotoriousAMIT , Apr 3, 2015 :
    I am having the same issue. Purchased my device overseas as well, but I didn't think that would matter since this has all the radios.

Anyone had this problem and able to resolve?

2. liquid4710
    Cupcake Apr 6, 2015

liquid4710 , Apr 6, 2015 :
    If I use my current(Nexus5) T-Mobil phone to activate a new sim card for my OPO, will i still be able to use my nexus? Just worried that both sims will be using the same IMEI number.

3. jiten0310
    Cupcake Apr 6, 2015

jiten0310 , Apr 6, 2015 :
    Hi, I received my OPO yesterday. I inserted my pre-activated T-Mobile sim in it but it is not getting connected on the network. As suggested above, I tried to update APN but I didnt find any APN in my phone. I tried to add one but after saving all setting, it disappeared.
    How can I connect my phone on T-Mobile. Please help.

4. rrainwater
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 6, 2015

rrainwater , Apr 6, 2015 :
    Does the phone recognize your SIM? Are you sure you have the sim tray inserted correctly. You shouldn't need to set the APN. It should be selected already.

5. mserebrenik
    Cupcake Apr 20, 2015

mserebrenik , Apr 20, 2015 :
    Answer: The radios are different. Did everything except try to unlock additional bands. Ended up returning the international version and buying it direct from OPO for US. Worked perfectly and had correct Bands available for T-Mobile.

6. dandanha
    Donut Apr 20, 2015

7. milo12
    Cupcake Apr 24, 2015

milo12 , Apr 24, 2015 :
    I just received mu OPO yesterday. I bought a micro sim from amazon. I activated on T-mobile site and signed up for the $30 plan. I received confirmation email from T-mobile that I paid and my phone number.

The problem is I have no T-mobile connection. I modified the APN as shown on the first post and rebooted, no change.

Under phone status it recognizes I am on T-mobile, shows signal stength and LTE network type. But under Mobile Network State is says disconnected and under My Phone Number says Unknown.

What should I do next?

8. milo12
    Cupcake Apr 24, 2015

milo12 , Apr 24, 2015 :
    Problem solved.

Never Use Virgin Mobile!!!

Virgin keeps your phone number hostage and tries everything they can to stop you from porting to another carrier.

Evan Ryan likes this.
  9. Aarongdl
    Cupcake May 1, 2015

Aarongdl , May 1, 2015 :
    This has been an absolute nightmare for me. After getting my new SIM and registering it with my t-mobile IMEI and trying to transfer my number, I've jumped through hoops for about 2 hours trying to reverse the whole process. Now I've got the SIM card I purchased regsitered with my Nexus 5's IMEI number, and the plan is paid and everything. I can send and receive texts, however I only have Edge.

When I put the SIM into my Nexus 5 I get LTE, but when it's plugged into my 1+, I get Edge. The APN settings are the exact same, and I've done a factory reset. Any ideas?

10. Evan Ryan
    Honeycomb May 1, 2015

Evan Ryan , May 1, 2015 :
    lol... when I got my OPO back in August of last year, I was a Sprint customer so I needed a new T-Mo sim... all I did was put the card in the phone then boot the phone up. that's it... never had to go through any of the steps you are showing.. but if that's what it takes then good thing they're out there.

11. Mrreed98
    Honeycomb May 1, 2015

12. asj0422
    Honeycomb May 1, 2015

asj0422 , May 1, 2015 :
    same here, except my old one was verizon.

13. Evan Ryan
    Honeycomb May 1, 2015

Evan Ryan , May 1, 2015 :
    ok.. I remember that I had a similar problem with Sprint (which owns Virgin)... T-Mo needed my Sprint pin # to get my number switched over. I always thought my phone numbers pin # was my actual phone number(with Sprint)... Which turns out was not. T-mo called me and said that the pin # I gave them was not working. I was a little surprised, because when I went from Cricket to Sprint my phone # went with me. Now Sprint was giving me a hard time by hiding my pin # from me.. I had to actually call them and get it from them.. Once I got it, it was a number I never saw before. Not on any bill or statement. That number was never on any correspondence between Sprint and myself... EVER.... Once I gave that number to T-Mo they had my account set up so that once they detected the new sim on their system my phone number switched accounts so I wouldn't go any time at all with out a phone. I got to say I was super impressed with how seamlessly it worked. I bought the sim starter kit online from T-Mo, which was free except shipping. I set it all up before I got my OPO. so it was seamless.

TLDR... Sprint is a pain.

asj0422 likes this.
  14. milri01
    Cupcake May 12, 2015

milri01 , May 12, 2015 :
    OPO arrived yesterday...unfortunately haven't been able to get it working with T-Mobile yet.

...Edited everything out: Problem was a bad micro SIM card...

Last edited: May 13, 2015

15. briang561
    Donut May 12, 2015

briang561 , May 12, 2015 :
    I have updated to 5.0.2 and still no wifi-calling. Will there be wifi-calling on any future updates? Or not at all?? For T-Mobile of course.

16. JackScagnetti
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 12, 2015

JackScagnetti , May 12, 2015 :
    I have t-mobile and I still have problems. I think what happens is when i lose connections those settings reset. My problems are I do not receive text messages sometimes. This is really frustrating. Also seems to happen a lot when I am on wifi sleeping.

Last edited: May 12, 2015

17. Duff87
    Froyo May 16, 2015

Duff87 , May 16, 2015 :
    Hi.

I've just moved to The States for the summer got got a pre-paid T-mobile sim for my OPO beofre I left Ireland. I got it activated before I left and was told to just pop the sim into the OPO once I landed here and it should work fine. I got here yesterday and ever since, I haven't been able to receive data. I have network coverage and can receive phone calls but have no data service at all. I followed the tutorial from the first page and set everything up the same and still nothing. Any time I try to go on the internet I get taken to a webpage that says 'Your Line Does Not Have A Data Plan' when it actually does. My friend got the same sim plan as me and it's working fine on his phone so I'm thinking it could be a problem with the OPO. Any ideas?

Thanks.

18. return.of.octobot
    Jelly Bean May 16, 2015

return.of.octobot , May 16, 2015 :
    This is true, that's why when you have to call Virgin CS to get your account number in order to bring your number to T-Mobile you just tell them you want it for personal records. Never let on that you intend to switch carriers even if it's painfully obvious. If you do, they'll do everything they can to make it as difficult as possible for you.

They know what's up, and they'll still ask you why you want the account number a dozen times. I just kept repeating that I want it for my own personal records. Eventually when they continued to push me on it, asking if I was sure I wasn't thinking about switching carriers, I told them no, look, I've made it very clear that I want my account number for my own personal records, and furthermore it is MY account so I don't feel any obligation to explain myself to you.

They finally handed it over, and then I switched carriers 30 seconds later.

T-Mobile rep warned me this would happen before I called them and thankfully prepped me on what to say.

19. lukethegreen
    Cupcake May 29, 2015

lukethegreen , May 29, 2015 :
    So last week I activated my T-mobile sim card on my Oneplus One (without prior knowledge of this thread) and I haven't been able to get LTE at all, only H+. I just found this thread, and looks like I should have activated it in a dummy phone first. Is there any way I can switch the card to a different IMEI? Would anybody at a T-mobile store be able to fix this? Thanks.

20. sonya
    Donut Jun 6, 2015

sonya , Jun 6, 2015 :
    Thanks so much - this was really helpful. I did everything but I'm still unable to receive mms texts. I tried to send one to myself and nothing. I'm using CM12 and on Android 5.0.2. Do you know of a specific issue on lollipop and the CM12 OS that may be causing this issue? Please help. I've had to do a factory reset 4x in one week b/c of other issues. I'm just really frustrated! Thanks so much in advance.
    Thanks so much - this was really helpful. I did everything but I'm still unable to receive mms texts. I tried to send one to myself and nothing. I'm using CM12 and on Android 5.0.2. Do you know of a specific issue on lollipop and the CM12 OS that may be causing this issue? Please help. I've had to do a factory reset 4x in one week b/c of other issues. I'm just really frustrated! Thanks so much in advance.