TV Talk Series: Week 1 – What kind of TV would you like?

1. Stephen L.
    TV Product Manager Staff Member Sep 26, 2018

Stephen L. , Sep 26, 2018 :
    week 1.png

Hi everyone,

Since Pete announced our plans for a TV last week, we have received a lot of comments and suggestions from many of our friends. Sincerely thank you! Your excitement for this product encourages us a lot.

We’re serious about working closely with the community to create a surpassing user experience for this product. From this week forward, we’re opening a new area of the forums specifically dedicated to TV discussions. We look forward to everyone’s thoughts and welcome you to share freely here.

A few members from our team will come by this forum soon:
    • Product manager: @Stephen L. (me)
    • Hardware engineer: Frank C.
    • Software engineer: Leo L.
    • Product marketing: @Robin Liu
    • Product designer: William L.
    The experience of television has evolved for our generation. This week, we want to hear from you how you picture the ideal television in your mind. What different capabilities do you want TV to have in your home? What would motivate you to your next TV purchase? Maybe you just want to watch videos or play games on TV. Or maybe you have a different story to tell about your relationship with your TV. We look forward to your reply!

2. OALEXANDER
    Indian POC Assistant Head Moderator Sep 26, 2018

3. the_o2
    Marshmallow Sep 26, 2018

the_o2 , Sep 26, 2018 :
    To be honest I stopped watching TV, now I do watch most of the things either on my smartphone or on my Laptop :)

But if I have to go for the TV I prefer
    OLED screen and Outstanding audio system with Excellent operating system
    And have gaming potential.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018

4. Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Marshmallow Senior Moderator Sep 26, 2018

Maximus Decimus Meridius , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Thanks Stephen

Stephen L.

What different capabilities do you want TV to have in your home? What would motivate you to your next TV purchase?​

I just want the browsing/scrolling/zapping to be fast and smooth. The menu, handling, remote should be logical. Without any consessions of the image quality. Thats about it.

5. Tobikage
    Nougat Sep 26, 2018

6. V1P_J0K3R
    Gingerbread Sep 26, 2018

V1P_J0K3R , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Fast OS, a nice user Experience, Mount all Storage Devices, 4k, Ambilight, and so on

7. raja.d
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 26, 2018

raja.d , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Vivid Image quality, Fast and smooth user experience with good amount of storage.. also should support all the well known app.. and obviously a very good air remote with voice commands...

8. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Sep 26, 2018

youbi , Sep 26, 2018 :
    I guess that the first and obvious one is the image quality, without that theres no point on going after other things for it. So I do hope you guys are able to get some great panel for the tv. :)

As for the rest, and picking up where @Pete talked about, the TV being the connectivity center of the house. If you guys can make the tv work great with the rest of the stuff you have at home than that's definitely a plus.

But reading this it does make you wonder if this means that Oneplus is thinking on launching more products for this, or simply work with existing companies (Amazon, Google, etc) that already have some home stuff that could work together with the tv.

For me a TV should be a place of rest, where I just sit down and enjoy some nice show or movie, or just relax to some music, other than that, maybe some light gaming could work also.

Usually what makes me buying a new tv is when the old one gets broken or when it gets moved to a new place in the house. :sweatsmile:

But I guess that if it has some amazing new features one can always try to get room for a new one... :p

9. G_Violaknight1989_Viola_
    Gingerbread Sep 26, 2018

G_Violaknight1989_Viola_ , Sep 26, 2018 :

Android tv

Google Browser

Chrome cast

Bluetooth to connect all types of headphones ,speakers ....

bigger size ram memory for updates that follow

remote control with voice control for Android or Google .

good CPU for not slowing the entire OS . (the speed we need

big contrast ,also higher dpi for bright sharp images . more satisfaction for users .

size screen from 50' ...55' ... 60'... ....

10. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Sep 26, 2018

youbi , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Ohh, yeah, the best possible interface and remote control is very important, because whats the point of having some great features on your tv if no one knows how to use it or you have to jump through a ton of hops to make it work. :p

It should be something simple and intuitive. :) Ohh, and resistant, because we all know what remotes suffer in our homes. :p

11. Moin2200
    KitKat Sep 26, 2018

Moin2200 , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Thanks for asking and making this thread

There are a few things I’m missing with my current TV.

I want a simple and fast UI that doesn’t lag like crazy when using the browser.

No flexible screen.
    And it would be appreciated to make it thin but not too thin so it looks out of place. And easy access to HDMI and other connections so cable management will be easier.

Built in chrome cast.
    OLED with bright colors and great speakers.
    The remote should also be simple and should handle a bit of water (I can’t count how many times I spilled something on my remote)

12. Dresa91
    Android Q Sep 26, 2018

Dresa91 , Sep 26, 2018 :
    @Stephen L. thanks for this thread:)
    well, the following capabilities:
    Easy integration of WebApps/Apps, such as Amazon Prime Videos, Sky Tickets, Netflix -> best on demand.
    Triple tuner, good media management and simple menu navigation.
    Various connections for sound systems, sticks, hard disks, etc..

13. USBCrisp
    Honeycomb Sep 26, 2018

14. thegreatv
    Gingerbread Sep 26, 2018

thegreatv , Sep 26, 2018 :
    A good and smooth OS.
    50-65" OLED screen with 4K, HDR10 and Dolby Atmos.
    Built in chromecast.
    A remote with voice recognition feature.

15. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Sep 26, 2018

BobbyV8_ , Sep 26, 2018 :
    A TV that talks to me, but doesn't spy on me.
    One with 4K resolution, running on Android Q or higher,
    Built in stereo speakers, Waterproof, wireless charging, Dual VoLTE.

Jokes apart,
    UHD +
    Supporting Android apps with controllers for games +
    Ability to control it with a mobile +
    A sound bar +
    HD cam (at the least) to support video calls+
    Easy mode swaps according to the program +
    Don't get fancy with useless stuff like curved screens / 3D etc etc.

Basically a smart TV with capability to run Android apps i.e., Google play store support (smart TVs currently have their own app stores rather than Google Play Store) and without marketing stuff

16. Luke-S
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 26, 2018

Luke-S , Sep 26, 2018 :
    You'd have to get all regional catchup services involved which in the UK might be quite difficult.

TheOneplusXEater likes this.
  17. adrnjgr
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Sep 26, 2018

adrnjgr , Sep 26, 2018 :
    I see this as one of those ‘Frankenstein phone’ topics, how would the perfect phone would look for you. I’m going to extrapolate this to a TV.

First of all, I do not own one. It’s been about 6 years or so since I stopped watching TV. With phones, tablets and computers around and with TV channels being made available online, it seemed pretty redundant to have a tv. The only pro reason I could find was the screen size, it’s always nice to have something big to watch movies/sports on. But that wasn’t a compelling enough reason for me to buy one. Plus, the large screen is nice when you’re watching stuff, but it’s in the way when you’re not.

Some time ago, Samsung came up with The Frame, a TV that ‘changes’ into a painting whenever you’re not interacting with it. You could do similar stuff with a Chromecast, but it’s not quite the same. This leads me to my second point, connectivity. I’m pretty sure you all know how a Chromecast works, so I won’t get into that. My point is that a TV has to be connected to your smart devices, to be a part of a smart home. And I’m sure Pete was talking about that in an interview.

So, that would be it for me. A smart, connected TV that acts as a IoT hub but that can ‘disappear’ in the background when you need it to. Hidden smart is the best smart, the way I see it.

18. G_shajahan_km_abcd
    Froyo Sep 26, 2018

19. gaster
    Lollipop Moderator Sep 26, 2018

gaster , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Hey Stephen. Thanks for asking our opinion. Personally I would like a smart TV with a great panel that will produce as much as realistic and vivid colors it can, with aa ver deep and strong black color performance as well.

Then a superb hardware that will allow the TV to give the best results in any resolution scale such the 4K, without the coreupcorr of the image like in fast motion content etc. plus the HDR performance.

Also an OS for the TV that it will be super fast and smooth, with features that will let the user have a friendly usage of the TV and fast access to the core settings along with the support of the most apps that can increase the access ability though a smartphone or any other smart device that may be compatible with the TV.

20. Luke1988
    Donut Sep 26, 2018

Luke1988 , Sep 26, 2018 :
    I would like a 21:9 cinema aspect ratio tv! Like the "old" Philips 50PFL7956H/12.. maybe simil ambilight also.. ;)