TV Talk Series: Week 1 – What kind of TV would you like?

1. Deivuvenkatesh
    Eclair Sep 27, 2018

2. JoGi1
    Donut Sep 27, 2018

JoGi1 , Sep 27, 2018 :
    -OLED
    -No heavy picture processing like fake high refresh rate
    -hdr with at least 1000 nits peak brightness (no marketing hdr)
    -55' 65' variants
    -google assistant/chrome cast built in
    -the lowest price as possible

I know it looks pretty massive, but you stopped me from buying exactly that TV without Google assistant from LG just to wait for your TV. so I am pumped!!

good luck!

3. iNewmanity
    Cupcake Sep 27, 2018

iNewmanity , Sep 27, 2018 :
    I would appreciate a bezel-less Design with an oled panel. As a operating I like android TV

4. Peter Krull
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 27, 2018

Peter Krull , Sep 27, 2018 :
    My last TV was a 20" tube. I have never really had a desire to go through all of the TVs on the market to find one that would suit my needs, or even one that would get the "smart" in smart TV right. I would really love to watch movies and videos on a large and color accurate display, but most TVs out there look like hot garbage if you are not willing to pay big bucks. I would love to see a TV that is attractive, does the basics well at a reasonable price. But really try to focus on the smart aspect of it, as most people never watch cable TV anymore.

I think the problem with TVs for people who don't use one every day is that it is horrible at everything except show video content. Browsing for content and surfing the web is always a horrible experience on a TV.

As far as specs, as others have said, a color accurate 4K OLED panel in large sizes with some tasteful smarts built in would be wonderful

5. rohitanand
    KitKat Sep 27, 2018

rohitanand , Sep 27, 2018 :
    I don't know much about TV as I usually don't watch any thing on TV.

But, for now I'm sold for latest launched Mi TV 4 Pro 55 inches, just....
    1. increase the sound output (30W) with best in class clear, loud and quality sound.
    2. Slimmest possible bezels.

Mi TV 4 Pro 55" is launched for $700.
    My budget is $1500-1800.

Come up with a product like the way OnePlus One in mobile industry and seize the market.

6. chisb83
    Cupcake Sep 27, 2018

chisb83 , Sep 27, 2018 :
    • I'd love for the TV to have a connected experience. Allow users to use their Oneplus phone or Android device as a remote/control device for the TV. (I'd love it if I could speak to my phone and the results of my request displayed on the TV)
    • Voice controls would be a cool feature although this is somewhat available with the Google assistant devices.
    • Allow users to disable any Motion smoothing technology.
    • I'd even love the feature with a camera in the top of the tv to identify me or my wife as a type of parental lock. And if I'm away from home and my kids want to watch something, I could unlock the TV from my phone.
    • Enough ram/memory and processing speed to include streaming services directly from the TV and makes needing a 3rd party device for the streaming unnecessary.

7. SiliconAddiction
    Gingerbread Sep 27, 2018

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018

8. ilangovan1826
    Cupcake Sep 27, 2018

ilangovan1826 , Sep 27, 2018 :
    First a TV needed to be in a Bigger, Thinner and Beauty. And the loveable clarity should be at more comparitively at the huge clarity pixels. At last the price should be reasonable as my smart phone OnePlus.

9. G_Mircea_Avram_XEOl
    Cupcake Sep 27, 2018

G_Mircea_Avram_XEOl , Sep 27, 2018 :
    -quality display
    -medium/large size - 120-180-200cm
    -4k support mandatory
    -HDR support highly appreciated
    -decent sound
    -stylish - appearances count for mainstream public
    -HDMI 2.0 support
    -AC onboard NIC - nice to have
    -ChromeCast - nice to have
    -miracast support
    -bluetooth (2k18 general connectivity)

LE: at a decent price, OnePlus style.

Si far great job with the phones.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018

10. f1982

f1982 , Sep 27, 2018 :
    In theory, I would agree with the sentiment. However the TV business is even harder than the phone business. The quality of product is very high, the cost of manufacture, logistics and stock of such bulky items is extremely high yet the margins are paper thin. And to make it worse, people don't upgrade every 18 months, more like every 5 years. It's why players like Sony who used to be the king of TV got out of the game. OnePlus could not do it at scale, so I fail to see how they could make any money making a TV.
    The only thing that could make sense is a TV in the sense of 'apple tv'- ie a box or stick. They are cheap and focus on the experience rather than the hardware. But here we meet my second question- devices like the roku, an independent company make an exceptional product at a low price. The market is dominated by fire sticks and chrome casts. So I just don't know how OnePlus could make any improvements if they made a competing stick or box.

11. Applephx
    Eclair Sep 27, 2018

Applephx , Sep 27, 2018 :

f1982

In theory, I would agree with the sentiment. However the TV business is even harder than the phone business. The quality of product is very high, the cost of manufacture, logistics and stock of such bulky items is extremely high yet the margins are paper thin. And to make it worse, people don't upgrade every 18 months, more like every 5 years. It's why players like Sony who used to be the king of TV got out of the game. OnePlus could not do it at scale, so I fail to see how they could make any money making a TV.
    The only thing that could make sense is a TV in the sense of 'apple tv'- ie a box or stick. They are cheap and focus on the experience rather than the hardware. But here we meet my second question- devices like the roku, an independent company make an exceptional product at a low price. The market is dominated by fire sticks and chrome casts. So I just don't know how OnePlus could make any improvements if they made a competing stick or box.​

^^ I hope they took this into consideration. An HDMI stick might be a much better option!

We still need a well designed TV stick. Apple and Amazon versions are clunky.

12. ChiranjeevHire
    Cupcake Sep 27, 2018

ChiranjeevHire , Sep 27, 2018 :
    a TV which is affordable but a flagship live OnePlus 6 it has to be smart and powerful for gaming and the screen should be the best....
    in other words a OnePlus 6 smartphone which looks like a TV.
    I'm damn sure u guys can do it.

Applephx likes this.
  13. Parshuram_Shesh
    Cupcake Sep 27, 2018

Parshuram_Shesh , Sep 27, 2018 :
    The TV NAME SHIULD BE

SEFAN
    S-SMARTER
    E- ENTERTAINMENT
    F- FASTER
    A- ANALYZED
    N- NECER BEYOND

THE NAME IS SEFA OR SEFAN

14. aksshah2004
    Froyo Sep 27, 2018

Applephx likes this.
  15. Nedok
    Cupcake Sep 27, 2018

Nedok , Sep 27, 2018 :
    The remote shod be simple. What buttons do we really need on a day to day basis. Numbers, volume, channel up down, on off, source switching, menu, back, confirm and direction arrows. Maybe general media controllable like play.

An easy interface that is as snappy as possible. Setting for showing channel overlay on top of the screen, for us that use subtitles.

Editable channel list. Automatically hiding of locked channels.

Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) support. (share remote between devices)

Full color range on HDMI and Displayport. Some type of color calibration for use with PC.

Headphonejack for accessibility reasons. (Grandpa shod be able to listen as well.) A function that enable sending audio through both headphonejack and speakers at the same time, could be useful.

I am not sure how realistic this is but it could be interesting if it could receive internet video from broadband providers. In short, Broadband providers TV boxes is bad, and even a good TV can't fix it... unless it replaced the box.

16. Nedok
    Cupcake Sep 27, 2018

Nedok , Sep 27, 2018 :
    There is, even if its horrible, selling the TV at a loss and making back the money by software or by selling costumer information.

17. f1982

f1982 , Sep 27, 2018 :
    But do we think OnePlus could make much money doing that, considering their costs to make atv would be higher than others, and they would instantly get a bad name for doing it. People would turn their backs on the product almost instantly and it would be a failure before it had hardly begun. Surely?

18. kart2424
    Donut Sep 27, 2018

kart2424 , Sep 27, 2018 :
    I would like a TV with low input lag, possible Freesync support, and actual high refresh rate and not just flashing trickery.

A panel that has a flat and natural color with really good brightness balance across the panel.

19. f1982

f1982 , Sep 27, 2018 :
    Here's a question to consider:
    WHY do OP want to make a TV device? At this stage that's a more interesting question which could suggest where they will go with it.
    Maybe this is a play for the future. They think if they stay as a 1 trick pony eventually another company will move into their space, do a better job and their business is over. They see fellow companies like Xiaomi expanding fast with a whole ecosystem of products...now including TVs.
    Maybe this is a play by OP, maybe even BBK the parent company to say they want to generate more of an ecosystem that will keep people buying their products.

G_Fredrik_Hammar_SngP likes this.
  20. Nedok
    Cupcake Sep 27, 2018

Nedok , Sep 27, 2018 :

f1982

But do we think OnePlus could make much money doing that, considering their costs to make atv would be higher than others, and they would instantly get a bad name for doing it. People would turn their backs on the product almost instantly and it would be a failure before it had hardly begun. Surely?​

selling at a loss, well yes.
    That practice is normal in the console space. I do see the flaw in this as the production lifetime is probably going to be longer on consoles.

When it comes to selling data ... Isn't that what most smart TV dose nowadays with ACR? Do people still buy smart TV ... yes.

I am lacking information about the profet margen of selling TV:s.

I do believe that there could be a chance that Google might be involved in some way. We might even be in for a new version of Android TV.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018