TV Talk Series: Week 1 – What kind of TV would you like?

1. Q1538270527686
    Cupcake Oct 1, 2018

2. Jake Wright
    Froyo Oct 1, 2018

Jake Wright , Oct 1, 2018 :
    ok in all seriousness, colour and contrast accuracy, stay away from the over the top images stay as close as you can to the rec709 colour space.
    the ability to use it as a 144hz monitor for gaming is a must and oxygen OS would be nice, use the one plus phone as a track pad.

3. Devanshu Contractor
    Cupcake Oct 1, 2018

4. Audetjeremie
    Cupcake Oct 1, 2018

Audetjeremie , Oct 1, 2018 :
    Let's see what biggest brands did for the last few years... The actual goal for every TV companies is to make a chip that can process and handle large resolution, wide color gammut, high brighness, HDR, dolby vision, etc.. Sony is actually really strong in that game with their X1 chip. So yeah it is really nice to see a beautiful 4K panel, HDR and a motion rate of 120 or 240, but what if the TV cannot render it well?

I personally think that you should really take care about how are you gonna process the signal. Even the lowest resolution. An amazing 4K TV should be able to upscale your 1080p signal at the point of not being able to distinguish 4K and HD.

After that, that really powerful chip will give the opportunity to bring Android TV and give the customer a complete and customizable experience.

Finally, one thing I hope OnePlus to consider is Local Dimming. That is the second key for good TV experience. We are seeing so many edge-lit TVs that don't have Local Dimming and the higher-than-average customer want something better. As an exemple, to get a Full-Array backlight in the Samsung TV collection, you need to get a QLED Q8, which is expensive. LG and Sony have their really cheaper models that offer a Full-array backlight.

So that's pretty much it.. It needs a really powerful and impressive chip and deep black!

This is not an absolute answer, but I am selling TVs since 5 years and I like to share what my average customers say and want on their TVs. I hope to help offering a different point of view.

youbi likes this.
  5. HARI_HP
    Gingerbread Oct 1, 2018

HARI_HP , Oct 1, 2018 :
    Your Chinese companion has got everything right on this segment,
    except for
    Gaming & Dolby Atmos experience

If u could provide the same 4K HDR experience with all digital contents & gaming ability plus Dolby Atmos at the same price .. U got my money [e]1f4b0[/e] [e]1f4b0[/e]

Also is this gonna be released on Jan 15 as teased or I could end up buying a TV for this festivities..pls confirm the launch date atleast #never settle

6. ProNoob09
    Donut Oct 1, 2018

7. Crazy Patu
    Cupcake Oct 1, 2018

8. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Oct 1, 2018

youbi , Oct 1, 2018 :
    I have to be honest, if there is one thing I don't get the use is the curved screen part on big tvs that sit usually far and on the wall.

If we were talking about pc screens, I would get it, its close and it could indeed offer some nice gaming experience. But for a Tv that sits far away I really don't get the benefit except looking bad on the wall, and also make the people in the sides feel upset about their terrible viewing angles. :p

Devanshu Contractor likes this.
  9. Jake Wright
    Froyo Oct 1, 2018

local dimming is a must.

Audetjeremie likes this.
  10. Jake Wright
    Froyo Oct 1, 2018

great idea! the tv should be able to take SD cards and handle h.265 well. 5ghz wifi and Bluetooth. plus mirroring with OnePlus 6 and up. coloured bezels too, black is boring.

11. Boxitis2
    Eclair Oct 1, 2018

Boxitis2 , Oct 1, 2018 :
    Really only interested in TV as it can be used as a monitor (need sharp clear text especially) and as a casting device for use with Fire TV and Chromecast (both 4K). Eyes are getting older and need crisper images. Voice control of input source and output volume would be great. Looking for multiple source inputs and ease of movement between inputs and then the ability to compensate for volume output variances without having to reach for the speaker volume controls on the external speaker. Normalization of output level between input devices would be an ideal add-on.

12. DSS18
    Honeycomb Oct 1, 2018

DSS18 , Oct 1, 2018 :
    Roku TV, if you can have a comparable or better software than Roku the I will definitely pick up the one plus tv

13. Bartrijg
    Froyo Oct 1, 2018

Bartrijg , Oct 1, 2018 :
    Please just not a massive 70 inch screen. There are still a lot of people that don't have the budget nor the wall to mount such TV's. 50 inch is a nice format.
    For me, it's more of an extension for my other devices. I hardly watch regular TV anymore. I mostly use my TV for YouTube, Netflix, a bit of gaming and every now and then a nice blu-ray movie. Most important features for me:

- Chromecast capabilities
    - 5.1 / 7.1 audio send/return to my receiver (TV speakers always suck anyway)
    - Woud be nice to use your smartphone as a fully functional remote
    - 4K is fine, don't bother going to extreme resolutions
    - Leave out those weird 200 hertz refreshrate bullshit. Keep it real and reasonable
    - Would be great if you think about the positioning of the I/O ports for when it's mounted on the wall. You want to have easy access to them

14. Sri_Nath_Sri
    Cupcake Oct 1, 2018

Sri_Nath_Sri , Oct 1, 2018 :
    Hi.,
    This is Srinath,

TV:
    I prefer to have a smart TV which supports to install all apps from Google Play Store including Games app ex: PUBG.

Remote control:
    Wi-Fi remote control instead of IR remote control and is to have Touchpad(such like in laptop) for cursor movement instead of up,down,left,right buttons.
    And joysticks for Gamers it should be wireless.

Mobile App for TV:
    OnePlus TV remote app for mobile it can control the TV through Wi-Fi.

Games App:
    If OnePlus TV supports games app, Gamers can paly games on TV without connecting PlayStation.

15. mojoyoyo77
    Lollipop Senior Moderator Oct 1, 2018

mojoyoyo77 , Oct 1, 2018 :
    I do not agree with the curved screen, this greatly limits the angle of view and position, if there is a group of people, only the person facing the center sees the screen correctly, for a person executing games may be fine, but for others uses is a problem.

16. zuhiboy
    Cupcake Oct 1, 2018

zuhiboy , Oct 1, 2018 :
    Since I'm a filmmaker, I prefer to have a TV that gives rich true to life color and ability to set levels like you see on desktop monitors. And audio should be well balanced that even when you listen to music. It should allow us to hear all the instruments with perfect blend of bass. Rest I'm sure there will be 4K and 1080p varients with HDR support. Please include USB type C ports.

G_Fredrik_Hammar_SngP likes this.
  17. G_Fredrik_Hammar_SngP
    Cupcake Oct 2, 2018

G_Fredrik_Hammar_SngP , Oct 2, 2018 :
    1. Let's agree to disagree then. I do still believe a TV shod be able to function without internet and on-air TV is part of that equation.

2. Just because it's old didn't mean it irrelevant. I rather have a calibrated sRGB then a miss matched P3 set-up.

3. That's good, but I suspect it doesn't have a proper calibration to the individual need. So, the only thing this whole accomplish is a halfway solution where one have to get an extra phone (that have a 3.5mm jack) just to set-up the same old system. (Still using the same coil system.)

It is possible to create a system that could work but without proper standards and adoption of those standards (from a TV manufacturer) one might be better of just including a 3.5 jack on TV for a while longer.

4. I believe you misunderstood me. There is nothing iligal at all. To call it not legal is like saying that a Netflix app (created by Netflix) for a TV is iligal. No, I am talking about a way for cable providers to send there consumers the same material as before but to integrate the deciding into the TV. As we are talking about pure broadcast TV over internet, it shod be possible.

The thing that could make this harder is if there exist no standard. Im not familiar enough with the implement of the systems used so I can't say how possible it is in practice.

________
    If something isn't your cup of tea, doesn't mean it's a bad cup of tea.

18. G_Fredrik_Hammar_SngP
    Cupcake Oct 2, 2018

G_Fredrik_Hammar_SngP , Oct 2, 2018 :
    I'm not to sure about using WiFi for a standard remote. I believe bt low energy could be a better solution seen from a battery life, and input latency perspective.

Personally I do not see the benefits of using a trackpad while navigating a TV GUI. Plus, to enable you to control connected devices to the TV you whole need to have them (google Consumer Electronics Control). However if you are more focused on running Android apps on it, I could see the benefits.

Android app for TV things could work.

when you mentioned game app, did you mean you want to play PlayStation games without a PlayStation? Are we talking "PlayStation now" support?

19. elanglois
    Lollipop Oct 2, 2018

elanglois , Oct 2, 2018 :
    1 Without Internet, my TV is only good as a monitor for a game system or blue ray player. However, if I got a TV with a tuner, it wouldn't make much difference in this area.

2 The default calibration on Vizio M series (for 2017 anyway). As for DCI-P3, it does well. I'd like to see Oneplus's future TV on the following list, and if it can even make it near the center .... https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/wide-color-gamut-rec-709-dci-p3-rec-202

3 Calibration? EQ curve? Change it yourself. And I don't know what you mean by an "extra" phone or "old system". A headphone jack on a TV means a locked OS with very little ability to tweak the sound, an annoying cable going across the room, and limited options (what if I want 2 pairs of headphones?). An app using WiFi means the phone you already own becomes a wireless headphone jack with YOUR personal EQ settings.

I totally believe in a headphone jack on my phone. A phone is personal. Headphones are personal. A 65 inch TV is for entertaining a room and in surround sound. Putting a headphone jack on it seems silly

4 What you suggest is best handled by just installing that provider's app ... from Play if the TV is Android based. For me, I install it on my phone and cast it. Not sure how "smart" a TV is if it doesn't actually have apps or local storage (it looks like it has apps, but the whole main menu and app list is entirely streamed ... its all HTML5/Chromecast), but ... I LIKE that the TV is just a display.

20. Roysaharan101
    Cupcake Oct 2, 2018