TV Talk Series: Week 2 – Funny Memes about your TV

1. Stephen L.
    TV Product Manager Staff Member Oct 12, 2018

Stephen L. , Oct 12, 2018 :
    Dear friends,

Thank you for joining us in the last thread, We're seriously looking into your comments and ideas. Here are some interesting findings to share with you:

upload_2018-10-12_20-4-44.jpeg upload_2018-10-12_20-4-44.jpeg Hardware.jpg

This week, it’s going to be a fun topic with a twist - Funny Memes about your TV! Tell us using memes about the most unbearable functions or “funny” things that happened to your TV. Our R&D team wants to give you feedback based on user experiences in different areas.

Well, in my case, I bought a new Smart TV for my parents earlier this year to replace their Non-Smart LCD TV at home. But there are too many apps, layers and pages that my parents easily get lost in. Funny thing is that it takes even longer time for them to find what they want on a Smart TV than the old non-smart TV.

Another message, a new member will join our discussion:

Cheers!

2. Todd W.
    TV Product Marketing Staff Member Oct 13, 2018

Todd W. , Oct 13, 2018 :
    Hi everyone, this is Todd, nice to join to this discussion : )
    Feel free to let us know, what function of your TV that bothers you and needs to be improved.
    We will seriously consider it during our product development~

Have fun!

3. sethisidd
    Jelly Bean Oct 13, 2018

sethisidd , Oct 13, 2018 :
    I bought a smart TV last year to replace my Non-Smart TV only to find that the App list for my now smart TV is so less and non useful that I have never used any of them.
    I had to buy streaming stick to make my smart TV smarter. [e]1f602[/e]

4. Todd W.

Todd W. , Oct 13, 2018 :
    @sethisidd I feel you...Smart TV is a good concept, but it could be an Android OS or Web OS or even Linux OS with some apps pre-installed, which is usually called like "Basic Smart TV". Not sure which OS your TV is running, but it looks not that smart...

OALEXANDER, mploof, Miggy11 and 8 others like this.
  5. sethisidd
    Jelly Bean Oct 13, 2018

I am presuming it to be running older version of Web OS but with limited apps. I say it smart because the company marketed it as a Smart TV. [e]1f601[/e]

6. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Oct 13, 2018

Cheetosdust , Oct 13, 2018 :
    Hello Todd, welcome to the forums :)

That's an easy one for me: i have a 4K Smart TV. Need more HDMI ports.

It sounds basic - and it should be - but most TV's still don't ship with enough HDMI ports. PS4, Xbox One, Switch, TV Box and they are all gone.

7. sethisidd
    Jelly Bean Oct 13, 2018

The one thing that is annoying in a TV is a very cluttered Home Screens, which makes searching or finding the apps or functionality you need very hard.

8. Todd W.

Todd W. , Oct 13, 2018 :
    hello, @Cheetosdust ,Thank you!!
    Looks like your need at least 4 HDMI ports, I also like to connect my TV to a lot of external devices, even i mostly just use 1 or 2 of them, but i would like to keep my TV at a full-function mode. Hahaha.
    Btw, how is your experience connecting Gaming Devices on TV?

9. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Oct 13, 2018

Cheetosdust , Oct 13, 2018 :
    The TV I have is from Samsung, so the UI allows me to have a bar at the bottom of the screen with icons for the different Inputs - it’s nice because I can pin and rearrange them and they can be in between pinned icons for apps.

Allowing this is useful because I can have TV Box, Netflix, Prime Video, PlayStation, Xbox One, YouTube, etc, accordingly to the order I want prioritized. This is on the “Home Button”, so I hope the Product and the Design Teams can understand the importance of this welcoming aesthetic.

About the gaming devices. I have the PlayStation 4 Pro and the Xbox One X, so they are both machines capable of outputting 4K HDR content. Since I ran out of HDMI ports, I bought a splitter and it seems, at least with this one, that the signal is lost on the adapter - I have both consoles plugged-in directly and the 1080p devices (Switch and TV Box) through the splitter.

There are rumors already about the next generation of consoles - allegedly, we will be seeing a new cycle around 2020 or 2021. If OnePlus TV is not fully compatible with those new technologies, it will be ignoring a huge percentage of market, since gaming is huge and growing - or at least be outdated on that regard out of the box.

A few bonus points: Wi-Fi will be more important than ever when the OnePlus TV reaches the market, since streaming will continue to grow.

My TV doesn’t have a headphone jack, however, Samsung has a great app that allows you to control the TV via the smartphone - including connecting your headphones to the phone (S8+ here) and it works really well - no breaks at all. Make sure the connectivity to the accessories (Bluetooth) is effortless to the user.

10. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Oct 13, 2018

Bouncer71 , Oct 13, 2018 :
    Hi @Stephen L. and @Todd W.

When I moved to a Smart TV I was actually surprised how well everything worked...
    The setup, the apps and the magic remote. HDMI-CEC I finally got me rid of the Harmony 1100 touch remote. The 55" 1080p display is so crisp I was glad not to have spent an extra 1000€ for 4K...
    Sharing content from the phone needed extra apps and that's ok...

But then I installed the remote control app...
    No motion sensing to move the cursor, TV channels had to be sorted again.
    Uhh.. How I hate channel sorting...
    I used to export the channel list and sort it on PC but since an update to the TV that's not possible anymore....
    Even worse is that the TV settings can not be edited within the app...

Whats a remote app for, that merely has the functions of the physical remote...???
    8D

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018

11. isty
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 13, 2018

isty , Oct 13, 2018 :
    The most disappointing issue with my Android smart tv is that it is very laggy. Loading apps, displaying menus, switching channels takes a few seconds to complete. Another annoying thing is the remote. a double sided one (tv remote on one side, keyboard on the other ). If you tilt it a bit then no command is issued from the remote

12. Trivikram1996
    Eclair Oct 13, 2018

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  13. eye842
    Lollipop Oct 13, 2018

eye842 , Oct 13, 2018 :
    My SONY Bravia is so old I have to run my cable through an external digital box. [e]1f622[/e]

Ravi BINAVAT and buntycubal like this.
  14. Sujknair

Sujknair , Oct 13, 2018 :
    Not gonna let any of the console exclusives pass, are you? Lucky man, or should i say, corn based snack. [e]1f604[/e]

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  15. Venky61
    Jelly Bean Oct 13, 2018

Venky61 , Oct 13, 2018 :
    Hi @Todd W. welcome to the forums...

I am using a 40" VU LED Non-Smart TV. My trouble is about how difficult it is to play media through those USB ports.

This was the time when I came back from a Holiday tour with tons of images and videos. Though I knew the limitations of my TV, I wanted to open the images and videos on the big TV screen.

So I Connect a external hard disk with the media and kept it on a slideshow
    And this was my reaction
    slowdownphoto.0.jpg

Seriously the USB ports are so useless and a Firestick or chromecast has become like an essential if the TV is not a smart one. I finally bought a Firestick and except for the issue with Google Apps, am pretty happy with it.

16. longtime_user
    Froyo Oct 13, 2018

longtime_user , Oct 13, 2018 :
    If I am going to buy a new TV, the features I'll be looking for will be the resolution, screen size ( preferably 43"), connectivity which should include HDMI and USB 3.0. Well LED screen will be fine and the TV need not be smart, because it can be achieved with a streaming stick

17. YASHPLUSONE

YASHPLUSONE , Oct 13, 2018 :
    in my view a real smart TV would actually increase the volume on its own the second I start eating chips.
    I rest my case!

18. techarim
    Eclair Oct 13, 2018

techarim , Oct 13, 2018 :
    I am not sure if it counts. But, this is from the time when I borrowed a VR and Chromecast from a friend. I decided to have some fun with it. I played some games and video on it and decided to let me baby cousin and my grandma try it on. I don't remember what video I played, but it was pretty real.

My cousin and granny were actually chasing things they saw on the VR. I took a video of it and showed them later, but it was funny as hell. I felt guilty after that but my granny was cool with it. I would have posted that vid here after getting my granny's permission, unfortunately, those videos were deleted after my reliable ext. hard drive decided to die on me.

My point is it'd be great if OnePlus had dedicated communitybrew VR games, videos and apps for OnePlus TV with ofcourse a dedicated VR box.

Pic credits- iamvr.co

1539457395813.jpg

19. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Oct 13, 2018

FlixbusLennart , Oct 13, 2018 :
    Can anyone tell me what that first diagram means? There's no explanation and nothing that tells us what you do with the sick diagram. What's the point of writing "System" in a big red split when nobody has an idea what this means in the end?

20. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Oct 13, 2018

Its.Leandroo , Oct 13, 2018 :
    Hi @Todd W. , Welcome to the forums!

I don't have memes sadly (they are even illegal here) but I certainly have a few things.

At the moment I have a 32" Phillips Smart-TV, with Android TV on it. It sounds good, has a good design... but those are the only positive things about it.

- The display calibration is awful, even changing the settings doesn't give you a good result.
    - It's full of bloatware, when you go to the homescreen, it's more like looking at the Play Store than at a homescreen.
    - It's very slow and laggy. Whenever I try to open an app like YouTube or Spotify, I can go to the kitchen, get something to drink, come back, and it's still loading.
    - It is like RAM doesn't exist. It can't even keep 2 apps open at the same time.
    - There's no way to use Google Assistant (even though it ships with it enabled), because there's no microphone at all. I have to install the Android TV Remote app and talk to my phone.

All that while it's not even a year old. If you get these things right (the basics in my opinion), You'll have a great Smart TV.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018