TV Talk Series: Week 2 – Funny Memes about your TV

1. maximal096
    Donut Nov 17, 2018

maximal096 , Nov 17, 2018 :
    I´m just gonna boldy awnswer the question that´s directed to someone else. :p

JRiver is gonna make an Android app soon tm. That one also should work on Android TV. Would be nice if I could run that with my TV screen possibly even turned off for listening to music. The earliest version of it won´t even have an UI to it (it will be controlled from your other jriver apps) and it might not be immidiately in the playstore. So being able to sideload apks for me would be an absolute requirement. Wether it is officially a thing or I can make it happen regardless is another story entierly. I did not think I neede to bring that up though, because in android on phones you can (always) sideload whatever you want. Why would not it work on android TVs. I never tried on TVs as I never owned a smart TV witch wasnt slow af as soon as you tried to do anything smart.

Other than that. Netflix, amazon prime, plex and youtube. Since that´s just what I use. Hulu, emby, spotify and tidal also come to mind witch are similar. I sure missed some. But in the end it´s all streaming services in some form.

What also would be nice to run various emulators for old games. But we might be better of just plugging in a retropi. I don´t expect you to build apps that don´t exist for tons of game emulators. And I dont yet know witch emulators work on android tv.

Also what´s with file explorers. I don´t know if es file explorer is a thing for smart tvs. But possibly. If you plug in a harddrive you might wanna have a file explorer to look around. Or you might wanna just actually grab the file from your NAS that might not run plex. So you need some way to access a network share share. Not sure if android TV can do that without apps.

If you´re going the > 60hz route, witch I personally would not think is the best move. But if you do. Build in a NVIDIA shield for gamesreaming from a PC. But I feel like then you´re just doing what NVIDIA is gonna do already. I don´t need it, so there is that. But many might want it. The question is do I want to pay the extra money for the features Im not gonna use myself on the big screen.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018

Todd W. likes this.
  2. R1542234354230
    Cupcake Nov 17, 2018

R1542234354230 , Nov 17, 2018 :
    On the off chance that I am will purchase another TV, the highlights I'll be searching for will be the goals, screen estimate ( ideally 43"), network which ought to incorporate HDMI and USB 3.0. All around LED screen will be fine and the TV require not be keen, since it tends to be accomplished with a gushing stick Dafont 123Movies FileHippo

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018

3. elanglois
    Lollipop Nov 17, 2018

elanglois , Nov 17, 2018 :
    Let me address some of your points.

1 - my TV had an update just a couple months ago. I'm curious why you think constant updates of the firmware is good?? If they ship bug-ridden crap, they'd have to update constantly, but well designed software shouldn't need updating and fixes! The list of apps is being constantly updated and the apps themselves are cloud based, so no local updating is needed for the apps.

2 - Underpowered? It does what it needs to do. Better upscaling might be nice, but I rarely view anything less than 1080p anyway.

3 - Mine is running its own OS which is basically just an html5 menu of apps fed to the built-in Chromecast. Vizio is just a display, a few hdmi ports, and a chromecast built in. It's the dumbest "smart tv" you can buy, and I like it that way.

4 - There is no such thing as "fully able to" when it comes to HDR. It's always a portion of the full colorspace. And there are more than 1 HDR colorspace available. Supporting HDR means it can interpret the HDR signal and make use of the extra information in an expanded color gamut. Every user should consult online technical reviews to see how well a device performs for a given usage. Review your definition of meme. I think you are using it incorrectly.

5 - Most TVs DO give a brightness and contrast level. I also encourage people to look at black/grey uniformity, gradients, flicker, and judder. Low flicker is very important to me since it causes migraines for me.

6 - A high refresh rate is to reduce motion blur. If you flicker the backlight, this inserts black frames between the active frames. This causes you to see less blur. True 120Hz panels won't help much since the content itself is only 60Hz!

Every product has tradeoffs. I tell you, my mom has an expensive LG with that WebOS crap and the mouse-remote thing. Its horribly hard to use, the interface is slow, and it actually looks choppy just watching TV. My Vizio is about a third the price and I love it.

buntycubal likes this.
  4. elanglois
    Lollipop Nov 17, 2018

elanglois , Nov 17, 2018 :
    Just a small note. ES File Explorer sends everything you do to a Chinese server.

Try FX instead.

And yes, most TVs have a basic file explorer for when you plug in a USB drive. Network shares are rarer, but LG TVs try (and fail). LG Blu ray players have a file share browser that works a bit better

buntycubal likes this.
  5. maximal096
    Donut Nov 18, 2018

maximal096 , Nov 18, 2018 :
    Well, I think when the plex UI is laggy af and I cannot fast forward or rewind very well. Yet an external streamer can do it. It does not do what it needs to do. I mean it´s a better experience to plug in a raspberry pi and use rasplex than using the app on the one 1080p sony "smart tv" we have at home. No one uses any apps. Because everything is slow with input delays and a very bloated tv remote where you have to look for the buttons you actually want to use to top it all off. It works for my parents, because all they do is watch actual TV. So they press a number expecting a specific program show up and complain if someone switched the input. But for me. Not so great. Too many useless buttons, slow and sluggish experience. It´s not fun. And should not need to be this way.

Yes, sure as soon as it plays, it does that flawlessly. But does it really matter when I can´t be bothered to use it, because the experience to get there is worse than just plugging in PC of sorts and do it there.

In a way when you look at what our phones are capable of. A smart TV these days should have the potential to make a HTPC obsolete for the most part. At least hardware wise. Software is another story. If it does not do that. In my mind it failed at being smart. And might as well be just a screen without android tv and all that jazz. Because I´ll end up replacing by an external box and never touch it again.

From what news sources say google this year focuses a lot on performance, they are gonna revamp the UI and what not. It sounds promising to me. If it´s really gonna happen in a way that´s meaningful is another thing. TVs aren´t phone I get that much. But I´d still kinda want that.

Yes, it would. For old consoles and such too.

I sorta get that it´s not that easy. I still despise the way when you´re shopping for a TV you´ll get bombarded with useless buzzwords that don´t mean a whole lot of anything. And that´s one of them. You don´t get smarter when you read HDR support in the product page. You then gotta look up what their deffinition of HDR actually relates to, when you use it.

Didn´t know about that. Guess I never bothered to question it. It´s a bit bloated these days anyways, with tools nobody asked for. So guess I can try something new. I could also try if mine also calls to china, since I bought the app a few years back. I might also only do that for advertising purposes.

Google is also doing a few questionable things in the privacy department. But like as far as that goes. What they make is so good that I almost don´t even care.

Cloud based seems like the wrong word for that. But we are calling everything cloud these days. So I´ll roll with it. Apps are mostly not affected, since you also get the updates when they update it. And google did split up their software into "apps" for various things to be able to get out security updates for people on older stuff.

Yet, still. I´m not really sold on the whole. If it gets the job done and is designed well it won´t break for eternity and there is never gonna be a nicer/faster version of the os around thing.

Yeah, well about that. No. I´m actually just making up "memes". So I can talk about what I´d want, because I missed week1. xD Looking at some of the other posts guess I didn´t have to do that.

buntycubal likes this.
  6. elanglois
    Lollipop Nov 18, 2018

elanglois , Nov 18, 2018 :
    No. Vizio apps are literally cloud based. It doesn't run any code locally. A.Chromecast is basically a slimmed down web browser designed to only load a single page. Any UI is done with html5 and all code is javascript, even the media playback.

The Vizio main menu looks like you have a slew of apps, but in reality, it's an html5 page and the "apps" are just links to other html5 pages. It looks and acts like local apps, but nothing is installed locally. So, there is no UI lag except for network delays as pages load. There is no storage, and nothing to update except for the firmware that controls the hardware.

The downside is that I have script that take input from my Google Home and activate apps via an IR blaster connected to my network. It interfaces like a remote. So, Vizio might add some new app and the number of "right" button presses I need to activate what I want will change and I need to modify my scripts. There is currently no way to reorder or remove apps you don't intend to use.

buntycubal likes this.
  7. maximal096
    Donut Nov 18, 2018

maximal096 , Nov 18, 2018 :
    I know about that one I also brought that up when I was talking about remote control in the 1st week thread. Chromecast does not really work with local streaming. It would be nice to actually be able to stream stuff from your phone to your TV without having to run a web server on your phone. For most things though. It gets the job done. Even though it does not do it as it presents itself at all. Meaning you´re never streaming from your phone to your PC. But instead tell your chromecast to stream from your plex server, or youtube.com or whatever. I can´t just tell chromecast to play what´s on my phone.

Vizio seems to be a chromecast on stereoids. But I´d be surprised if oneplus goes... well actually any other route than putting android on their thing. I would not mind roku though.

8. elanglois
    Lollipop Nov 18, 2018

elanglois , Nov 18, 2018 :
    Roku isn't for me. Chromecast CAN stream from your phone, but it's not the best tool to do so as it jumps through hoops.

For a screen mirror, such as games, use Miracast.

For sharing media between devices, use DLNA.

For everything else, assuming your have Internet, Chromecast.

Each tool works differently with different strengths and weaknesses. Which is why I hate it when people speak about "casting" and some problem they had with a particular technology and try to apply it to all technologies in general.

buntycubal likes this.
  9. visesh vivekanandan
    Eclair Nov 18, 2018

10. Planbbobby
    Eclair Nov 18, 2018

11. Sargo
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 18, 2018

Sargo , Nov 18, 2018 :
    possibly out with their first 5g phone? could be part of their rumoured new line-up

Planbbobby likes this.
  12. rameshshreyas
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 19, 2018

rameshshreyas , Nov 19, 2018 :
    They are still working on it. Expect it in late 2019, hopefully with the OnePlus 7 and/or the new 5G phone.

13. arulsharwan
    Cupcake Nov 19, 2018

14. E1542624462115
    Cupcake Nov 19, 2018

E1542624462115 , Nov 19, 2018 :
    Indians only want Big screen in minimum price... and Android based.. i would suggest to minimize price on Tv for indians or make a low price Tv for indians.. it will be guarantely most selling TV in India.. as 1+6 is already a verified brand for We Guys !!

15. Ronakkar
    Gingerbread Nov 21, 2018

Ronakkar , Nov 21, 2018 :
    i have a samsung 4k smart tv it doesn't have a play store a Google assistant an android os smart tv apps are useless
    please make a cheap android tv box with oxygen os Tv version
    under 5k

16. Akhshay Srinivasan
    Nougat Nov 22, 2018

Akhshay Srinivasan , Nov 22, 2018 :
    Hi froyo, please buy a refurbished product if you want a product with your listed expectations sub 5k.

17. Drakee
    Froyo Nov 29, 2018

Drakee , Nov 29, 2018 :
    Hmm, in my case I use TV only for my PS4 where I have all I need eg. Spotify, Netflix, games. I do not watch classic TV series outside netflix.

18. no_obey
    Froyo Dec 2, 2018

no_obey , Dec 2, 2018 :
    Hi all,

I have an 55" UHD Smart TV with HDR from a well known producer. I like nearly everything about it, but the perfomance is pretty poor. Changing channels, menues, others take like ages...

So just make a UHD Smart TV-HDR with perfect performance and I will be the first customer :)

Best regards
    no_obey

19. Chris Ndolo
    Cupcake Dec 2, 2018

Chris Ndolo , Dec 2, 2018 :
    I think a smart TV should feel like you are handling a touch screen computer . It should allow a phone based software remote that is not bombarded with ads. It should feel like an extension of your smartphone while allowing quick searching of local channels.Then instead of numbers how about if the channels could be arrange in the same way Netflix arranges it's movies and series. What if the Smart TV had a game mode which maintains proper frame rates while allowing accessories like gaming pads.What if the smart TV had storage inside to save movies etc

Planbbobby likes this.
  20. tilak19988
    Cupcake Dec 3, 2018

tilak19988 , Dec 3, 2018 :
    there are main 2 issues i have noticed in modern tv weak wireless connection and lack of updates ,
    and also there are plenty of 4k tv available in market but quality of the panel is so poor which tends to poor color saturation and poor user experience also the sound quality of on board speakers should be great because every user does not want to buy premium tv and premium home stereo system at same time so user expects better speaker quality!!

and i expect that oneplus TV will be a great success for oneplus and oneplus community!!!!

#OnePlusTV #OnePlusVission1