TV Talk Series: Week 3 – What is a truly “Smart” TV?

1. Todd W.
    TV Product Marketing Staff Member Nov 26, 2018

Todd W. , Nov 26, 2018 :
    W3.png

Dear friends,

How are you enjoying the new OnePlus 6T?

Thank you for joining us and posting in last two threads!! We have been busy with user activities and field work in past weeks with the OnePlus 6T launch. At the same time, we’ve been moving along on the development of the TV project. Our product and R&D teams have been pouring over your posts and suggestions. We don't have any official features or release plans to announce yet to the public, but you’ll be the first to know when we do.

Many of you mentioned how your so-called “Smart” TV turned out “Stupid “after buying from store. Sorry if you had that experience too. That’s why this time, we’d like to discuss Smart TVs to help everyone identify and discover truly intelligent televisions.

Walking into an appliance store (either online or offline), you will find that many bill themselves as “Smart TVs”, with some variations in wording. To elaborate (and please correct me if I’m wrong):
    • Samsung and LG, who have sold the most units of Smart TV globally, have been working on their own TV OS for quite a while, which are called “Tizen” and “WebOS.”
    • Sony and many other brands are using Android TV as their OS. With an official Android TV, you can enjoy all your favorite Android apps and Google services on a bigger screen. You can also do more with built-in Chromecast and Google assistant.
    • But be careful with “Android-based TVs.” They come with an Android system but don’t necessarily support Google services (also known as GMS), and may lack standard apps like YouTube, Chrome, and the Play store. Their prices are usually lower than official Android TVs, which often correlate with lower performance as well.
    • Amazon has found some success with Fire Stick and their TV OS called “Fire TV.” There’s also “Roku TV” which focuses on the content and streaming experience.
    • An Internet-capable TV might be not the “Smart” TV that you are looking for. Manufacturers who made those TVs in earlier years are running a basic OS with additional internet functions. These may be marked as “Smart” but allow you to hardly to do anything smart with it.
    How has your experience been with the OS of Smart TVs? Do you have any other OS to recommend? Just let us know and be kind to others if they make any errors in their posts.

Cheers!

2. meatandy
    Oreo Nov 26, 2018

meatandy , Nov 26, 2018 :
    I believe things are about to get interesting for OnePlus .

Will OP put a small review squad in place previous to the launch of the new TV ?

I'm also curious about the potential of a 5G enabled smart TV from OnePlus , I feel this is where the future of TV is going.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018

3. Q1520415080039
    Eclair Nov 26, 2018

Q1520415080039 , Nov 26, 2018 :
    Samsung's TV OS is very sluggish and it lacks a majority of apps! Android TV is nice but it sometimes lack necessary apps like Amazon Prime Video! The major drawback with the Fire TV Stick is that it uses one of the HDMI PORT of our TV[e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e]

4. Q1520415080039
    Eclair Nov 26, 2018

Yess[e]1f60d[/e]I think that the OnePlus TV would be a blast[e]1f60d[/e]

5. rameshshreyas
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 26, 2018

rameshshreyas , Nov 26, 2018 :
    I have used LG's WebOS and though the remote is nice, overall it is quite slow. Opening apps takes forever and the fun fizzles out.
    Fire TV stick is quite popular because most of the TVs we own are non-smart and it is a very good addition. I have a Chromecast 2 because Fire TV stick wasn't available then. I was planning on buying it but I think if I'm going to buy a new TV, it would be smart TV so buying the Stick wasn't that economical.

6. the_o2
    Marshmallow Nov 26, 2018

the_o2 , Nov 26, 2018 :
    Do you mean like Note 7, please don't :p:p

7. Q1520415080039
    Eclair Nov 26, 2018

I used blast in the sense of surprise, a bit humour you know!

Helder_DAlmeida, Vladut123 and the_o2 like this.
  8. Louioo
    Honeycomb Nov 26, 2018

Louioo , Nov 26, 2018 :
    I own 2 Samsung TVs (Lounge & Bedroom) and agree that the OS is very sluggish. The amount of time it takes for an app to open is far too long but I must say, built in Chromecast is a nice touch and something I would beg of the OnePlus team to think about for OnePlus TV - or an alternative to connect seamlessly with the mobile device.

The other thing I find quite frustrating is the keyboard functions. Either the remote control should allow you to press buttons more than once for a letter (like the old Nokia style) or somewhat open up to feature a small keyboard, to make it easier than scrolling across the on screen one.

Easier cursor control would also be a nice touch which is really annoying! Why can't the remote control act like a cursor? Or at least a small touchpad embedded into the remote.[/QUOTE]

9. sethisidd
    Jelly Bean Nov 26, 2018

sethisidd , Nov 26, 2018 :
    In my experience, none of the smart TV gives a complete package. As mentioned above, all of them have one or the other functionality missing. I feel that is because they either try to reduce cost or push their own content\services.
    By my opinion, TV should be smart if it could handle majority of the apps that people consume, may it be via streaming or OTT. If not all of them could be supported, there should be a capable alternate to it, the very basic I could think of a good browser with a intuitive UI specially designed for TV, which allows me to stream content even if I don't have an compatible app.
    Another thing is about the Home Screen. After using many of these smart TVs, I find none of them have a very good home screen which allows me to access what I require easily. There should be a customization option available which makes TV content access with minimal click.

10. Aditya Dange
    Honeycomb Nov 26, 2018

Aditya Dange , Nov 26, 2018 :
    I will prefer Android TV- OS over others but it'll be better for OnePlus to build their own OS or at least UI (user interface) based on Android TV- OS where they could be able to provide seamless updates if necessary as well as removing the existing bugs that are present on TV- OS.
    But primarily I'll recommend that OnePlus is capable to develop a dedicated OS/UI with the help of their dedicated team due to which OnePlus Television's will definitely stand out just like Oxygen OS has marked at the top of the list in mobile world, OnePlus untitled TV-OS will definitely reach above all.

11. Shuller
    Jelly Bean Nov 26, 2018

Shuller , Nov 26, 2018 :
    ho
    nes I would be very happy with a projector like Xiaomi has:
    More room fot a chipsed and why nit some internal storage
    Having a good chipset you can easily put the same OOS
    Sharing same things from mobile to tv by only adding your account in there

There are tons of possibilities, depends only on implementation...

12. ElfStone

ElfStone , Nov 26, 2018 :
    Really looking forward to see what OnePlus will come up with!
    From my perspective, all I really need in a TV is the Chromecasts which I use quite often. For anything else, I normally use different devices. Maybe OnePlus will help me change the way I use TV's.

Helder_DAlmeida and Vladut123 like this.
  13. YRJ
    Lollipop Nov 26, 2018

YRJ , Nov 26, 2018 :
    as stated earlier I still stand by it:
    A TV that increases its volume right when I start eating chips! [e]1f609[/e]

jokes apart @Todd W. my experience with smart TV's has been nothing less than "awful"
    the TV's that are mounted on the walls under dazzling lights of huge stores are just namesake "smart" IRL they are nothing better that what we already have in front of us.
    for the best it would connect to the internet apart from that absolutely nothing.
    recently i bought a 65" led Hitachi smart tv, in the initial days it was a bargain but when i finally wanted to test out the productivity of the tv it failed miserably.
    at first i couldn't download apps next up i couldn't get even a single video to play on the TV browser.
    i feel as if i bought trash from the thrift store.
    and to make my life more miserable it comes with webos and i hate it.
    so i had to make a new purchase so i bought a mi 4a 55" tv for 1/3 rd the price and so far i am loving it it is the slimmest TV i have seen (IRL) i am not taking into consideration LG wallpaper TV the $10,000+ TV that is fascinating but something that only looks good in exhibitions.
    i just hope you change the definition of the smart tv with what you are bring up! you have to do something really great and unbelievable to make an indelible mark I'm the Television industry as TV's are getting more of a novelty purchase.

The best way i would define a TV is convenience it has to have that 100%. i dont want to use up, down,left,right buttons and click on individual buttons on keyboard that is horrible! it should be an all in package i shouldn't be wandering around for accessories, it should have great speakers,and have the flexibility of installing or tweaking software, but if i have oxygen os i dont see the need to use anything else.
    on a side note, if you put in this great functionality with additional speakers in a projector i would buy it any day!

cheers,
    all the best
    Yash [e]1f60a[/e]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018

14. Starcommander
    KitKat Nov 26, 2018

Starcommander , Nov 26, 2018 :
    I own an unofficial android tv from micromax with playstore installed. Honestly the sluggish ui and bloatware piss me off. I also have firestick and to be honest i love ui of Amazon OS more.

15. xythiii

xythiii , Nov 26, 2018 :
    I have used web os 4.0 and compared to tizen its quite bettet and faster...
    Oneplus should change the game bring a 4k hdr tv with qled or oled technology, oxygen os and lower price...

16. the_o2
    Marshmallow Nov 26, 2018

the_o2 , Nov 26, 2018 :
    I know mate, just written for the fun and the emoji I used is surely not shown in the community app for sure ;);)

Personally I don't any but I tried the Xiaomi's Android TV and it works good as compare to its price :):)

17. mspatil.92
    Honeycomb Nov 26, 2018

mspatil.92 , Nov 26, 2018 :
    I Use Sony Android TV it has all the features like chromecast, youtube, netflix, prime video, play store but after software update its little slow, Its Stock OS , Oneplus can have OS like Oxygen for TVs so that performance can be great with more RAM for faster loading of apps and Memory mangagement, 3D support can be an added bonus.

18. Moin2200
    KitKat Nov 26, 2018

Moin2200 , Nov 26, 2018 :
    As someone who owns both a Samsung TV with tizen OS and a Sony TV running android, I've had my fair share of frustration.
    First with my Samsung TV: the UI is confusing and super laggy, it was fine as first and simple services such as you tube and Netflix is fine. But everything else is either a mess or a gimmick i cant use.
    They put so many features and stuff which makes it confusing to find anything and irritating to use.

Second is my Sony: Luckily i have a better experience with my sony tv, with android running on top i am greeted with a simple and quick UI that is easy to use and find around with.
    But it has become difficult to find functioning apps that makes sense to use on such a tv, the play store is limited and quite buggy from time to time. Though i have enjoyed using VLC and the built in chromecast quite a lot as i can use it to find episodes on my phone and send them to my tv.

So personally if you are going for ideas to a good OS i suggest android TV as it plays so well with any android device and the speak to search is also quite neat. I would however be grateful to see some improvement in Speed (overall fluidity and smoother apps/brower experience) typing stuff (as it takes a century just to type anything) and the browser which is useless on any TV iv'e encountered so far.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018

19. panchodiaz
    Eclair Nov 26, 2018

panchodiaz , Nov 26, 2018 :
    imo Smart TV is the one offered with the Xiaomi TV Box 3 by Xiaomi. Basically Android TV OS .
    Google assistant built in, chomre built in and all the other goodies (Aptoide).

Idk if i want more for a tv. Maybe a desktop mode for the Oneplus Phone.

Helder_DAlmeida and Vladut123 like this.
  20. Sai Krishna Thorata

Sai Krishna Thorata , Nov 26, 2018 :
    Currently using Sony OLED 55 inches A8F model with Android OS.. its working good with all necessary apps and functionality..