TV Talk Series: Week 3 – What is a truly “Smart” TV?

1. soare_body Froyo Dec 10, 2018

soare_body, Dec 10, 2018 :
    Great, I wasn't aware as I do not own a smart TV with Google built in. Can it also control other smart appliances?

2. elanglois Lollipop Dec 10, 2018

elanglois, Dec 10, 2018 :
    The TV has built-in Chromecast, and the Home Mini allows you to control Chromecast devices as well as most other smart devices (lights, etc).

In my case, I've also got a BeagleBone server (tiny ARM PC running Linux) that lets me do other things as well. It talks to a Broadlink Blackbean ... a tiny WiFi to IR gateway. I can "learn" IR codes with the Blackbean and save them on the BeagleBone. I can then play them back any time. I use IFTTT service to hook extra commands into the Google Assistant, which makes a web request to my Beaglebone to trigger Macros. For example, "toggle bright mode" causes an html request that sends buttons on the remote: "picture left ok" or "picture right ok" depending on internal variables. I can also send web requests back to IFTTT that hooks into my smart lights and other devices.

When I say "shower time", heaters, lights, and TV volumes are all adjusted at once, controlled by the server.

Sometimes "smart" isn't about a device, but an ecosystem, working together

buntycubal and Todd W. like this.
  3. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Dec 10, 2018

Dunnow, Dec 10, 2018 :
    yeah but still, vlc, plex media player, games that are already working...

4. G_Arvind_Tk_jdms Cupcake Dec 10, 2018

5. elanglois Lollipop Dec 10, 2018

elanglois, Dec 10, 2018 :
    VLC? Whats the point if my TV can already play anything? Plex is already installed (like most others), and games ... do we define a smart TV by being able to load games?

Seriously, if the only point of local processing over web-based apps is games, then surely a dedicated game player makes more sense? Your choice is an external bad-*** CPU/GPU on a dedicated console or a mediocre CPU/GPU and mobile version of a game designed for your phone .... easy choice.

I'll take the web design

buntycubal likes this.
  6. Vikivik Froyo Dec 11, 2018

Vikivik, Dec 11, 2018 :
    smart Tv's should have set up box integration support eliminating the need of one or change of box every time new display technology comes. A tv with OS should have should have easy to type integration than move remote as cursor. Tv's today are loosing there authenticity in the process of being a mobile of huge display(and no touch screen). It should be fusion of new tech with originality usage. integration support for gaming console. Tv audio caste system to any smart speakers is a delight.

Todd W. likes this.
  7. elanglois Lollipop Dec 11, 2018

elanglois, Dec 11, 2018 :
    Integrate the set-top boxes HOW? There are millions of providers and they aren't going to agree on anything.

And the rest ... what do you suggest? CEC should address your game console issue.

8. brian.sedore Honeycomb Dec 11, 2018

brian.sedore, Dec 11, 2018 :

elanglois

90Hz? Your content is 60Hz. If you have 60Hz refresh, each screen is shown once. If you have 120Hz refresh, each frame will be shown twice ... which is the same effect as keeping a 60Hz display and changing the backlight off and on! Thats how virtual refresh rates work.

90Hz???? You want to show one frame, then 2 frames, then 1 ... motion will be choppy and could cause seizures. I don't know why people think that more is better. Your content won't go above 60 anyway. SMH. An non integer multiple is just crazy, and native refresh rates above 60 are only for active shutter glasses used for 3D​

I don't think the refresh rate works that way. If it was 90 Hz, yes it's 1.5 times that of 60Hz, but it's not refreshing once a second, then twice a second, etc. It would just be 1.5 times the fresh rate of 60Hz.

That being said, I still don't think a tv with 90Hz exists. TVs seem to have refresh rates with a base of 60 and just doubling it a 'n' times.

Another thing to look at is what the human eye can actually see.

9. Ray_ofLight Honeycomb Dec 11, 2018

Ray_ofLight, Dec 11, 2018 :
    I don't even use a SMART TV, bought a normal TV and fitted it with Google Chromecast, it does what I want.

elanglois likes this.
  10. elanglois Lollipop Dec 11, 2018

No, not one or twice a second. Think carefully. The actual content has 60 frames. If you refresh the screen 90 times, then not all refreshes of the screen will have new content. You'll actually have alternating patterns and this is WHY TVs don't ever have 90Hz refresh rates.

Actually, the only benefit of 120Hz is that the old 40Hz movies can be played without using crazy tricks. In practice, virtual 120Hz refresh rates are enough to make your mind not see the problem. This is called judder correction.

My point is that requesting 90Hz is silly. People seem to think that more is better. Thats not the case. 90Hz would be WORSE than 60Hz, which is why no one does it. Ask yourself what problem you are trying to solve with a higher refresh rate as better solutions might exist.

With 60fps content, you don't need more than 60Hz on the display itself. Virtual refresh rates are sufficient to solve most other problems (except 3D or games with refresh rates beyond 60hz). So ... what do you expect to GAIN?

buntycubal likes this.
  11. brian.sedore Honeycomb Dec 11, 2018

brian.sedore, Dec 11, 2018 :
    I was just saying that that's not what would happen with a 90Hz refresh rate. That's just saying 90 frames every second. If the content was 60 frames per second, then you're right that you wouldn't gain anything extra.

12. elanglois Lollipop Dec 11, 2018

That IS what happens when the rates aren't integers, and no content exists that is 90fps

13. brian.sedore Honeycomb Dec 12, 2018

brian.sedore, Dec 12, 2018 :
    60, 90, 120: all integers.

14. elanglois Lollipop Dec 12, 2018

elanglois, Dec 12, 2018 :
    Really? You being an *** or are you really not understanding?

The RATIO isn't an integer. Surely, you understood that. If not, I'm talking about the ratio of the display to the content. For example, a 120Hz refresh / 60fps content = 2, an integer. The refresh rate must be an integer multiple of the content. If it isn't (90 is NOT an integer multiple of 60), then you have no choice but to display some frames more often than others.

A 90Hz refresh means either the even frames or the odd frames must be displayed twice to get your 90. Also, if you are dealing with judder correction of 40Hz content, that 90 is WAY out of wack and nearly impossible to make it work

buntycubal likes this.
  15. F_Shahryar_Shahryari_rQa Froyo Dec 13, 2018

16. PTBaker86 Cupcake Dec 14, 2018

PTBaker86, Dec 14, 2018 :
    All if the smart TVs I own are very sluggish. Response time is about 5-10 seconds. If this TV felt like like controlling a fast tablet with a remote, that would be amazing. I would totally buy one.

17. brian.sedore Honeycomb Dec 16, 2018

brian.sedore, Dec 16, 2018 :
    It'd be nice if that is true, but I would hope if any tv manufacturer plans on making a smart tv in the future (including OnePlus), they can't really charge extra for it. With how much a Chromecast is, there's no point in having a smart tv that costs a ton extra because of the "smart" capability.

18. MangoDogi Honeycomb Dec 16, 2018

MangoDogi, Dec 16, 2018 :
    I hope that OneplusTV will come with AndroidTV-based OS, maybe with Oneplus's own UI, but it must be fully supported with streaming apps like netflix.

I got bad experience two weeks ago, when i buy Xiaomis MiBox 3, it was modern, and designed well, but it didn't work well with netflix even it was integrated app. approx half of series and movies failed to play with error "tvq-pm-100 (5.2.5)". it has something to do with HDCP version, which was "unprotected"state. This was so bad bug that wasn't getting any fix so i had to return box to the store.

What i try to tell, is that if/when OnePlus launches OnePlus TV, it must work flawlessly with no bugs. also it would be good if there isn't many unnecessary apps what you don't need but you can't uninstall. customer should choose himself apps what are installed to his product.

Todd W. likes this.
  19. draghav Cupcake Dec 16, 2018

draghav, Dec 16, 2018 :
    To me..It has to have a good android os support which includes gms.. A better refresh rate and hdr capability..And future proofing..If am being expected to pay premium..

20. derinus Froyo Dec 17, 2018

derinus, Dec 17, 2018 :
    1 word: Modular.

The TV is just a 55"/65" monitor with a HDMI or Display port on the back.
    Then there is a separate box that fits on the back of the TV or on the stand.

I can use a OnePlus Android TV box that may or may not be included or my own box like the JBL Link bar which will also have HDMI input ports or Kodi?

3 years from now I can update the box hardware while still using the same screen.

I like my current LG TV but really hate WebOS..
    The "Live TV" item is always in my face but there are no channels because I have to use an external IPTV tuner.
    It's a great screen for a nice price with a terrible OS.
    Most high end TV 's have a just-enough-soc. I do not understand why manufactures save 30 bucks by using a cheap soc on a 3k TV set.
    Do not make the same mistake.