TV Talk Series: Week 3 – What is a truly “Smart” TV?

1. elanglois
    Lollipop Dec 17, 2018

elanglois , Dec 17, 2018 :
    Just a note for everyone who favors a "modular" approach.

What you are basically saying is that you don't want a OnePlus TV, but a OnePlus set-top box running Android. Oneplus would never be able to compete in the TV world by producing a plain monitor with zero value-added features and just picture quality to compete in. Those looking for cheaper brands will find them, those looking for better picture will pay more, and no one is looking for a no-name, middle-priced, medicore TV. So the monitor is out, and the set-top box is all you get.

Electronics have cheap parts. Everyone is always quoting how cheap a part is. What costs is engineering and manufacturing. You have to factor current draw, signal interference and all sorts of stuff, and those factors become incredibly difficult when you factor in multiple boards. Multiple boards also means physical connectors, which are more expensive because of the difficulty of installing them. The cheapest solutions are to put everything on a single board with the fewest number of chips (to ease engineering costs) and the fewest physical connectors as possible.

So, do you want OnePlus's lower price point with reduced features (Oneplus phones have fewer extras and ports than a Samsung ... they don't even include an LED or headphone jack anymore) or do you want an expensive modular arrangement that costs more and takes up way more space? Oneplus competes by putting high end CPUs and more RAM into phones because those contribute a lot to customer's perceived value while contributing very little to the manufacturing and engineering costs.

buntycubal likes this.
  2. InfinityPlusTV
    Cupcake Dec 19, 2018

InfinityPlusTV , Dec 19, 2018 :
    InfinitiPlusTV,What do you think of such a name? And a version of the logo on my avatar. I think it should fit.

3. TibiTibi
    Nougat Dec 19, 2018

TibiTibi , Dec 19, 2018 :
    So you said that this approach is wrong?

4. elanglois
    Lollipop Dec 19, 2018

elanglois , Dec 19, 2018 :
    I said its expensive. Thanks for proving my point with a $3000 example!

TibiTibi likes this.
  5. sommersy
    KitKat Dec 19, 2018

6. derinus
    Froyo Dec 21, 2018

derinus , Dec 21, 2018 :
    If that is true. OnePlus should not make a TV. But I think it's wrong: consumers will not compare a TV to a monitor and there aren't many big size monitors on the market (yet).

Simply put
    From FullHD to 4K wasn't breath taking. 8K will not make a difference. The color depth of OLED is great but expensive. What else is there to compete?

Sony and Philips both use Android TV. Sony has a crappy X1 SoC en Philips a slow MediaTek SoC even in there high end TVs

Sound: With basically no bezels and the screen as thin as a nickel there is not much room for speakers. In most TVs speakers face downward or to the wall and sound is damp
    Connectivity:HDMI input and USB on the back is not Ideal

I understand. But let's think ahead...: 4 monitors (55" 65" both LCD and OLED) in the lineup. and 1 Set-top box to support and update. Wouldn't that save costs? The box and monitor can be sold separately to generate more revenue.

There aren't many set-top boxes that will replace the functionality of a smart TV. many lack HDMI input and the ones that have DVB-T or DVB-C do not have a great CPU and/or OS

TibiTibi likes this.
  7. elanglois
    Lollipop Dec 21, 2018

elanglois , Dec 21, 2018 :
    I can plug a Chromecast into any TV I want and get a smart TV that rivals most stuff out there. I say, "Hey Google. Play Shameless" and it days, "OK, playing Shameless from Netflix on Alice" (Alice is my TV). Why would I buy a box from OnePlus that does less?

Demo:

And BTW, OLED doesn't have better color, often inaccurate color. It just has darkest blacks. Widest and most accurate color spectrum (and brightest) is quantum dot. And 4K/Dolby Vision is night-n-day better than standard 1080p!

buntycubal likes this.
  8. Shubhamkhichi
    Donut Dec 23, 2018

Shubhamkhichi , Dec 23, 2018 :
    I believe we should take bits from each player in the TV market and make one truly unique smart TV. I have the samsung smart TV where everything is controlled via voice command like just speak Netflix and Netflix will appear etc. if OP could integrate voice command for everything including numbers then there might not be a need to configure the 100 buttons which are present on a TV.

Connection between OP phone and TV- Since it's the same company I would love to see my OP phone to be put to good use while I'm watching the TV, like how unused iOS apps are automatically off loaded to save space and memory, OP should integrate the TV in the similar fashion to off load apps if not needed to not make the TV slow.

Use some AI - A stupid TV is when I have to sit down and figure out for hours what I want to see, if there is a setting which I can configure which allows me to see the recommended things during a certain time of the day or night or if there is a breaking news I should be able to see that right upfront in a notification or something. I think that will be kind of cool.

Moreover, if there is a proprietory messaging app inbuilt on phone and TV then it becomes easier to switch from the phone to TV.

hope that helps

Todd W. likes this.
  9. Mat.PL
    Froyo Dec 24, 2018

Todd W. likes this.
  10. derinus
    Froyo Dec 25, 2018

derinus , Dec 25, 2018 :
    You probably wouldn't. Could you explain why you would want a TV that has the functionality that you already have?

Thnx for the demonstration BTW

11. elanglois
    Lollipop Dec 25, 2018

elanglois , Dec 25, 2018 :
    Rephrase your question?

Are you asking why I would buy a new TV? Or why anyone would want the level of functionality that I use now?

Personally, a few things I don't like .... on a normal Chromecast, I know what's playing. On my Vizio, anything started from a builtin app will show blank to protect Vizio's interfaces from being used elsewhere. I can't launch apps programmatically without using IR control macros, and this tends to be slow and the "cast interface" must load all the time.

If I were to design it, I would do a few things differently.
    1 - Use the Smart Display (ex Google Home Hub) as the base OS, not Chromecast, including builtin mics and Google Assistant.
    2 - The list of apps across the bottom of the smartcast display should be cached. Pressing the SmartCast button should slide it up from the bottom allowing easy access without waiting for the whole smartcast screen to load.
    3 - The recommended/featured programming and the google smart-screen (Home Hub, etc) display should be combined. Normally, the smart-screen displays pictures or a clock when not in use. We can use the featured programming as an optional slide in during backdrop mode, with a clock added and the apps removed (less clutter this way)
    4 - All HDMI inputs should feed into a RAM buffer for PiP effects and to allow input switching to display a live "overview" mode.
    5 - Open Programming API to allow Android to switch apps, push buttons, and control system features without IR. This should include the ability to display notifications and caller id when the phone is not in DND, and to allow the phone to set DND when the TV has satisfied various conditions - ex: program currently watched has duration longer than 65 minutes (movie).

As for the screen, I would say a kick-*** video processor and a quantum dot display, 4K with all modern HDR standards supported. Quantum dots get blacks almost as good as OLED, are brighter than OLED, more accurate colors, and cheaper.

buntycubal likes this.
  12. G_Sanket_Trivedi_tyXa
    Cupcake Dec 25, 2018

G_Sanket_Trivedi_tyXa , Dec 25, 2018 :
    Oneplus may give a try to following idea.

A dumb tv with upgradable (including hardware)smart box fit into it.

Smart box should be fixed into the TV unit and can be upgraded (both hardware & software), time to time.

13. elanglois
    Lollipop Dec 25, 2018

People keep saying this, but you want Oneplus to compete with a Chromecast or Roku stick?

14. derinus
    Froyo Dec 25, 2018

derinus , Dec 25, 2018 :
    Neither, I believe many people have some form of smart device in there home. Could be a Chromecast, Kodi device or Google home. Why would people with a setup like you need a TV that offers this same functionality. Wouldn't that just add another remote to the coffee table?

As for your #3 idea: I have had the same thought but with a screensaver of a picture of the wall behind the TV dimmed depending of the lighting in the room in a way that would make it look transparent. This way my girlfriend might approve an 88" I would just tell her it's invisible.

I think the quantum-dot filter is patented by Samsung, not sure if that would be an option.

15. elanglois
    Lollipop Dec 25, 2018

Remote? Who uses a remote? I just talk out loud and the TV does it [e]1f603[/e]

The hidden TV thing is done by a couple manufacturers. I think Samsung?

Quantum dot technology is generic.. The name QLED is Samsung, but Vizio makes a Quantum version of it's P Series now that is quite a bit cheaper than the Samsung.

buntycubal likes this.
  16. derinus
    Froyo Dec 25, 2018

derinus , Dec 25, 2018 :
    I still prefer a remote. Alexa Siri and Google assistant seem to work well in English but aren't just there yet in Dutch. I don't want to keep repeating a trigger command like "ok Google" it would take more time to find a TV channel this way. also there is quite a delay when processing voice commands.
    Having good HDMI-CEC support is a must have for me

17. elanglois
    Lollipop Dec 25, 2018

Why find a TV channel? I say "Hey Google. Play BBC America" or "Play The Big Bang Theory"

As for remote, my To-Do list includes exploring how to create a Google Assistant app that you can "talk to". Then you can just say button names "left down ok" or whatever.

I have a lot planned for my little project.
    https://github.com/uudruid74/RestHome/blob/master/README.md

buntycubal likes this.
  18. Sentamil
    Cupcake Dec 27, 2018

Sentamil , Dec 27, 2018 :
    Several YouTube videos can't be run on Sony BRAVIA TV, it says have less memory to run, browsing also faces with same memory issues

19. vbhoj74
    Donut Dec 29, 2018

vbhoj74 , Dec 29, 2018 :
    Most of the Smart TVs that are available are sluggish with their interface with few to no future updates. I strongly believe picture quality and then sound should be the primary focus on any TV. There are good android boxes available, like Shield TV, Fire TV, etc. However, I love OOS, and the ONePlus phones, I'm sure Oneplus will do justice to the TV OS as well, still I would prefer it to be a separate box that built into the TV.

Todd W. likes this.
  20. elanglois
    Lollipop Dec 29, 2018

elanglois , Dec 29, 2018 :
    Which model/year Sony?