TV Talk Series: Week 3 – What is a truly “Smart” TV?

1. elanglois Lollipop Dec 29, 2018

buntycubal and Todd W. like this.
  2. ThomasSeiz Donut Dec 30, 2018

ThomasSeiz, Dec 30, 2018 :
    Be able to connect your phone via Bluetooth app that acts as the remote control and it works even when the TV is in standby. *

have the option to turn on the TV when you walk in the room/come home, like a smart home type of thing.

have the cast option in the input menu.

make it Miracast compatible so it supports windows laptops also.

*make a OnePlus TV app that automatically syncs the channel list with an epg and shows it in the app. be able to pick shows from IMDb and have the app show you where and when it's on. in the app have the option for installing apps on the TV from there, and launch them from there too.

Todd W. likes this.
  3. ronaksworld Jelly Bean Jan 3, 2019

ronaksworld, Jan 3, 2019 :
    I need a TV which had Set-top box inbuild all I should so is insert the card of the DTH operator of my choice.

4. Prajwal BH Eclair Jan 4, 2019

Prajwal BH, Jan 4, 2019 :
    Is there any progress in the TV development ???
    Please update with some information...

5. asifansaringp Froyo Jan 8, 2019

asifansaringp, Jan 8, 2019 :
    Just clear out when you're releasing new TV. Waiting for that. Else users will switch to mi tv 65" which is recently launched. Give us some date.

Prajwal BH likes this.
  6. Todd W. TV Product Marketing Staff Member Jan 8, 2019

derinus, meatandy, Prajwal BH and 2 others like this.
  7. Shubhamkhichi Donut Jan 8, 2019

Shubhamkhichi, Jan 8, 2019 :
    Wondering what the OP team is thinking as of CES 2019 with Samsung and LG unloading epic AI enabled TVs.

Todd W. likes this.
  8. Todd W. TV Product Marketing Staff Member Jan 9, 2019

Todd W., Jan 9, 2019 :
    Interesting topic, a lot of cool products happening in CES, let's give a review.

Shubhamkhichi likes this.
  9. Shubhamkhichi Donut Jan 9, 2019

Shubhamkhichi, Jan 9, 2019 :
    absolutely but I can't create a new thread. if you have enough points you can and I will contribute

10. derinus Eclair Jan 10, 2019

derinus, Jan 10, 2019 :
    @elanglois I do not understand why 120Hz is a bad thing. My OP6 can capture 240pfs@1080p, Games go above 60fps. (Xbox One X) New TVs announced at CES2019 are 120Hz.

Why else would we need 4K, 8K, HDR 10-bit, HDR 12-bit with an HDMI 2.1 port @ 48 Gbps?

It's in the future, sure. But when developing a new product it might be 1 or 2 years before it is released and it should last many years before it is outdated.

11. elanglois Lollipop Jan 10, 2019

elanglois, Jan 10, 2019 :
    120Hz isn't bad but other than a few Xbox and PC games, there is ZERO 120Hz content. Why are so many people asking for a feature that you literally have NO way to use?

And your OP6 doesn't play back at 240fps. It captures at that speed for slow motion playback.

buntycubal likes this.
  12. JohnKS Cupcake Jan 11, 2019

JohnKS, Jan 11, 2019 :
    What is the "Smart" in the tv? It is just software.. I'm not dependent on the software/hardware of the tv. I use the Nvidia Shield for this, but if Oneplus would have developed a better goodlooking OS/UI ? I will try it !

13. Robin Liu TV Product Marketing Staff Member Jan 11, 2019

Robin Liu, Jan 11, 2019 :
    There is no battery in TV, so don't worry about it.;)

the_o2 likes this.
  14. Robin Liu TV Product Marketing Staff Member Jan 11, 2019

Robin Liu, Jan 11, 2019 :
    It must be better.:)

derinus and JohnKS like this.
  15. darren190390 Eclair Jan 12, 2019

darren190390, Jan 12, 2019 :
    For me, a real smart TV is the one that can be sensibly operated with speech. Opening apps, or changing TV programs. Of course, all this has to be done quickly, just as you know it from oneplus devices.

The device knows my habits, be it movies, appointments, the weather or the like. He also points this out to me. For example, with the TV switched off, you could still display the dates and the weather as widgets.

Todd W. likes this.
  16. the_o2 Lollipop Jan 12, 2019

the_o2, Jan 12, 2019 :
    You just killed a good old joke :p:p:p

Btw, can you tell when we see OnePlus TV in real, with OnePlus 7/5G launch or sooner or later than that :rolleyes::rolleyes:

buntycubal likes this.
  17. Robin Liu TV Product Marketing Staff Member Jan 12, 2019

Robin Liu, Jan 12, 2019 :
    A minute's silence for the joke.:p
    The product is under developing, we will bring you an exciting smart product when it's ready.

eye842 and the_o2 like this.
  18. Ajith_Aji Cupcake Jan 20, 2019

Ajith_Aji, Jan 20, 2019 :
    [/QUOTE]LG has the remote control act as cursor !

19. elanglois Lollipop Jan 20, 2019

elanglois, Jan 20, 2019 :
    LG has the remote control act as cursor ![/QUOTE]Every try and USE that damn thing? Better not drink any coffee. It amplifies the tiniest motion and you feel like you are trying to play a game of Operation with Parkinsons!

At my mom's house, it can't integrate with the set-top box from dish because the internet is so slow and the TV wants to download ads, so you need to use the guide key. The TV remote doesn't have one, but the on-screen remote does. Hit the button, wait, now carefully position the stupid bird cursor over the Guide key of the pop-up remote. Finally you can switch the remote to dish mode and use the cursor keys.

Half the built-in menus don't support the bird-mouse cursor and NO external devices. It's a poorly implemented marketing gimmick.

And don't even get me started on the UI. You hit a button and start counting waiting for something to happen. NOT cool for a device that costs 4 figures (USD)

My Vizio has no special bird mouse cursors, no on-screen remotes, no fancy anything. It's just a screen with a built-in Chromecast. I say "Hey Google, play The Orville" and my Google Home Mini starts playing it on my Vizio. I don't need a remote. I don't need any special UI. It just works.

Ajith_Aji likes this.
  20. Ajith_Aji Cupcake Jan 20, 2019

Ajith_Aji, Jan 20, 2019 :
    Every try and USE that damn thing? Better not drink any coffee. It amplifies the tiniest motion and you feel like you are trying to play a game of Operation with Parkinsons!

At my mom's house, it can't integrate with the set-top box from dish because the internet is so slow and the TV wants to download ads, so you need to use the guide key. The TV remote doesn't have one, but the on-screen remote does. Hit the button, wait, now carefully position the stupid bird cursor over the Guide key of the pop-up remote. Finally you can switch the remote to dish mode and use the cursor keys.

Half the built-in menus don't support the bird-mouse cursor and NO external devices. It's a poorly implemented marketing gimmick.

And don't even get me started on the UI. You hit a button and start counting waiting for something to happen. NOT cool for a device that costs 4 figures (USD)

My Vizio has no special bird mouse cursors, no on-screen remotes, no fancy anything. It's just a screen with a built-in Chromecast. I say "Hey Google, play The Orville" and my Google Home Mini starts playing it on my Vizio. I don't need a remote. I don't need any special UI. It just works.[/QUOTE]I'm not promoting that thing for him to buy, I'm jus telling him that they are present in LG. vizio, good for you.

I'm using Samsung NU8000 that has fantastic screen and some issues are the same said before not all major apps are available, the os need an upgrade for me not to hate samsung. Also the universal remote voice control sucks.

eg I say "play 2 cello"
    reply "Hello"