TV Talk Series: Week 3 – What is a truly “Smart” TV?

1. elanglois
    Lollipop Jan 20, 2019

elanglois , Jan 20, 2019 :
    I'm not promoting that thing for him to buy, I'm jus telling him that they are present in LG. vizio, good for you.

I'm using Samsung NU8000 that has fantastic screen and some issues are the same said before not all major apps are available, the os need an upgrade for me not to hate samsung. Also the universal remote voice control sucks.

eg I say "play 2 cello"
    reply "Hello"[/QUOTE]My point is that everyone keeps pointing fingers at every OTHER manufacturers gimmicks rather than being forward-looking at how we can best interact with our devices.

Your mention about not having built-in apps is a good point. Android TV is likely the best solution, but that opens up the mess of on-device storage and local processing.

Maybe I need to make a mock-up of the idea I've been working on ....

2. CharanVeda
    Gingerbread Mar 21, 2019

3. Helder_DAlmeida
    Honeycomb Mar 24, 2019

Helder_DAlmeida , Mar 24, 2019 :
    Hi! There is some news about the OnePlus TV [e]1f4fa[/e] development? It's going to be released? There's some date for the realease? "never settle"

4. Arghus
    Donut Mar 26, 2019

Arghus , Mar 26, 2019 :
    What in personally need on a smart TV is mainly ease in casting from phone to TV, possibly with direct connection bypassing the home WiFi network, which often just cuts out.

I would like to be an Android Tv with embedded Chromecast functionality but made better by the OnePlus OS

Kinda like oxygen os makes Android stock even better.

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  5. elanglois
    Lollipop Apr 19, 2019

elanglois , Apr 19, 2019 :
    I just wanted to leave a note to mention that there are multiple ways of casting. You may know this, but other users may not.

Casting "from phone" is ambiguous since you may be referring to Miracast (which requires the "Enable Wireless Display" to be turned on). This protocol should NOT be used for watching movies. It relies on your phone to do the heavy lifting and will THRASH your network trying to stream a movie. And you will lose many features and need to keep your phone on during the movie.

Chromecast works differently. The phone tells the Chromecast (or TV) where to find the content and then becomes a simple remote control. Very little data is exchanged between the phone and the Chromecast and the movie content is only sent to the TV. On Miracast, video would be sent to the phone and then to the TV - double trouble!

I would always use a wired connection to the TV. Its faster and more reliable and you already have plenty of cables on the TV, why not one more?

6. Ramana_Ghugloth
    Donut May 11, 2019

7. meatandy
    Oreo May 11, 2019

meatandy , May 11, 2019 :
    Maybe a 5G TV coming soon..

Last edited: May 11, 2019

8. elanglois
    Lollipop May 11, 2019

9. meatandy
    Oreo May 11, 2019

Do you think a 5G TV would not be possible in the next year or two ?

10. elanglois
    Lollipop May 11, 2019

elanglois , May 11, 2019 :
    Its not a matter of possible. It's a matter of looking at what these technologies are used for and the costs involved.

Putting a TV on a metered cellular network is pretty damn pointless. It sounds like a pure case of jumping onto the latest buzzwords and I really hate that.

Use 5G to watch TV on your phone. Use your home broadband for your TV. Your TV doesn't need to travel, deal with cell handoffs, and its likely going to be streaming for much longer durations than my phone. You also want to share the bandwith it uses with other things in your home. And yes you can hotspot your phone to your TV, but that would mean the TV is WiFi, not 5G! You want to give the TV it's own cellular plan and its own SIM! WTF for?

Do you think cellular bandwidth will be free? My TV is 4K. Know how much bandwidth that sucks down? I'll tell you. A 4K stream runs about 25Mbps or more, or roughly 2.5MBps. A movie would eat about 18GB! My cell phone plan is 3GB/mo. Think your "unlimited" plan is going to let you stream bandwidth like that all the time? And you want that kinda cell phone bill to be added to your other media services ... why? You not paying enough for your TV services already?

Now ask WHY? Because you can? What's wrong with the existing broadband infrastructure we already have? Think 5G will get into rural areas better? Maybe ... and then you can just have a 5G to Ethernet/WiFi gateway (they make them for 4G already) so that your whole house gets networking (computers, phones, smart appliances, security systems, etc) rather than replacing everything in the house, like your TV, with 5G versions .... which would EACH require there own unlimited plans.

11. meatandy
    Oreo May 11, 2019

:eek: You seriously put to much effort into that reply to defend your POV.

12. elanglois
    Lollipop May 12, 2019

elanglois , May 12, 2019 :
    I'm very thorough

13. Petr Melichar
    Cupcake Jun 11, 2019

Petr Melichar , Jun 11, 2019 :
    So I could not wait longer so I bought new Sony 65 inch TV a month ago :) So I am changing my requirement for you - please deliver some great OnePlus Android TV box - better than Nvidia Shield. Right now I have great screen, but crappy Mediatek based Android TV HW in my TV, just because there is nothing better on the market :) So please change it ;)

14. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 11, 2019

elanglois , Jun 11, 2019 :
    What exactly do you need that a Kodi box can't do?

15. Petr Melichar
    Cupcake Jun 11, 2019

Petr Melichar , Jun 11, 2019 :
    I use a Kodi as one Android TV app. In addition to that I use Netflix, HBO Go, YouTube and other apps. In general I like Android TV as a platform/concept. But I want to see it on more fluent and performant HW than my current Sony 2018 model TV. (Sony ATV2 platform). Also I think that Android TV needs some additional development - for example I must use crappy Sony app for viewing photos because no other app can display photos using 4k resolution - Android TV UI is only full HD and the Sony app is probably using some undocumented API....Maybe with the more performant HW the UI can run natively in 4k....To summarize: I would be happy with perfectly working Android TV. current implementations are not perfect yet...

16. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 12, 2019

elanglois , Jun 12, 2019 :
    Kodi can't display your photos in 4K???

I have a Libre Renegade. The UI runs in 1280x720 I think, but video will play just fine at 4K, and using the modded version for the hardware, it will do HDR. Netflix doesn't work, but since I have a Vizio TV, I don't need many apps. It's not fast, but doesn't feel slow either.

The Vizio is HTML5 based apps (cloud, no local storage needed, no downloads, no upgrading) which display to the TV via the built-in Chromecast Ultra. I can cast directly from my phone and most apps are already built-in to the native interface. The interface speed of the Vizio is based on web speed, so it can feel a bit sluggish at the main menu or when loading an app, but most of the time the UI stays out of the way and I tell Google Assistant what I want to watch

However, the Vizio can't do Android apps and I wanted a local media server that could play to the TV and also stream to my other devices. So, the Libre Renegade fills that gap while also bringing all the android game emulators to the big screen, since trying to play these in your phone and cast them just sucks.

I do have some repetition. I have iHeartRadio on the Vizio, castable on my phone and also on the Renegade (the launcher sucks, so I boot directly to Kodi and let Kodi act as my UI for everything). HBO works great on the phone or Renegade, but no HBO app on the Vizio cast interface. Netflix would never work on an open device like the Renegade at full capacity, but both the built-in Vizio app and casting by phone fine.

I'm sort of looking to expand the Renegade and explore what capabilities are useful on a TV box like that. For example, I have the Audials app recording multiple radio stations into mp3s all day long [e]1f603[/e]