TV Talk Series: Week 3 – What is a truly “Smart” TV?

1. kaihp
    Jelly Bean Nov 26, 2018

kaihp , Nov 26, 2018 :
    I have a Samsung TV from 2014. The UI was always sluggish (especially the web browser), and still is.
    Originally I could stream directly from motogp.com, but they no longer support "Smart TVs" - so now it's a dumbTV.

But I rarely use my screen for anything else than watching MotoGP races live, so I'm not really a good (potential) customer to ask. I just want my Windows7 and Linux boxes to work forevah! and a nice dumb screen to go along with them.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018

2. luxuskamel
    Lollipop Nov 26, 2018

luxuskamel , Nov 26, 2018 :
    I have a half-smart-TV at home. I don't have LAN cables so everything relies on my wifi. But that bs Samsung TV doesn't have wifi build in and i have to buy an adapter to make it work. That's crap!
    I don't like the software on it as it's slow, no clear design principles, few and bad apps....

The firetv stick that I use instead well isnt great either. Slow, few apps, it relies on Amazon, and the menus are bad! It's almost impossible to turn that thing off :mad:

@Todd W. make sure it's easy to turn off :p
    And if possible make it somehow open source :rolleyes: so people can flash their customROMs there:D

3. gaster
    Lollipop Moderator Nov 26, 2018

gaster , Nov 26, 2018 :
    Hey Todd,

In general, I am very satisfied with my LG 4K Smart TV. About the panel and the image quality, I really enjoy everything. Even when I am playing 4K games in my PlayStation 4 Pro. About the apps, I am able to use any of these that I need, for the almost 1 year that I am using it. The LG's TV operating system aka Web OS (version 3.3), looks nice and user friendly when it comes to its usage, but I appreciate I would like it more if it was faster. Personally I can see as a needed improvement, the speed of opening, processing and using speed of the Smart TV's OS and its apps.

I hope OnePlus can offer something that it can surpass this. OnePlus already did this in the smartphone industry, with the OxygenOS surpasses in OS performance and speed almost any Android phone software UI out there. So I have positive thoughts that the same can be happen in the OnePlus Smart TV. Thanks for asking our opinion. Cheers.

4. marian_1x
    Donut Nov 26, 2018

marian_1x , Nov 26, 2018 :
    Guys, a perfect smart tv, should have an Android OS with enough ram and processing power, ambilight like technology on at least 3 sides and a remote with qwerty keyboard.
    one addition would be powerful speakers, at least 40w.
    Currently I own 3 Philips Android TV's with ambilight and they're a blast, especially the 8601 model with hexacore proc. and 4 side ambilight which can be extended with Philips hue.

5. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Nov 26, 2018

dsmonteiro , Nov 26, 2018 :
    For me it's Android TV all the way. I'm using an Android TV box at this point and it has all the features I need. The only thing I'm not entirely happy about is the launcher, that, while functional, prioritizes contents I'm not interested in.

The main apps I use is Netflix, YouTube and Plex, but recommendations often come from Google Play content that I don't really use.

6. Todd W.
    TV Product Marketing Staff Member Nov 26, 2018

Todd W. , Nov 26, 2018 :
    Good idea on events!! Let's see.

7. YRJ
    Marshmallow Nov 26, 2018

YRJ , Nov 26, 2018 :
    consider me in in that case..... [e]1f602[/e]
    I'm down!
    this time in the labs are gonna get waaay tougher [e]1f609[/e][e]1f60a[/e]

8. 7r.st1
    Froyo Nov 26, 2018

7r.st1 , Nov 26, 2018 :
    Android TV is the best one and the easiest to use. The other OS feel cheap and doesn't really have the apps that Android have

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  9. G_david_hartono_S_iAtI
    Froyo Nov 26, 2018

G_david_hartono_S_iAtI , Nov 26, 2018 :
    i've only used samsung and lg smart tv. both are bad,but i think LG is a bit better. im also intrested at those xiaomi smart tv that are cheap because they have chromecast built in so i can connect it with my google home. So OnePlus should build a smart tv that is based on android tv but with a better UI ..

Helder_DAlmeida and Todd W. like this.
  10. Icecreamypie
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 26, 2018

11. B.yashaswi

B.yashaswi , Nov 26, 2018 :
    I hope oneplus TV to be a unique one when compared to other Tvs in terms of OS and i also hope that Oneplus TV to be a 4K supported one
    And the tv which we use is of LG containing web os speaking about os it is unresponsive at times and also takes time to open an application.

12. rameshshreyas

rameshshreyas , Nov 26, 2018 :
    I'm in!

13. nithesh.rs
    Eclair Nov 26, 2018

14. YRJ
    Marshmallow Nov 26, 2018

YRJ , Nov 26, 2018 :
    17th December 2018

15. G_Shivam_Gupta_hGaK
    Eclair Nov 26, 2018

G_Shivam_Gupta_hGaK , Nov 26, 2018 :
    well i use amazon fire tv stick in my non smart LG led tv...its quiet good and support maximum apps which one will be needing on his tv..now it also support alexa so overall its worth the price..

16. powerofred
    Jelly Bean Nov 26, 2018

17. PierreChauvelot
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2018

PierreChauvelot , Nov 26, 2018 :
    Hi ! :)
    I personnally have A LG TV (OLED, with WebOS) and I recently bought a FireTV Stick (Black Friday :rolleyes:) to put on a non-smart TV. Both are good for me, I can't really choose between them... But there are some good and less good points.

First, the remote :
    FireTV (or other external stuff) involve an additional remote. It's not a big problem but... You see. But the FireTV remote is very small and minimalistic (similar with the AppleTV remote but subjectively better, I can't explain why).
    My LG TV has an amazing gyroscopic remote. That's very convenient.

App store :
    WebOS app store is so shitty... There are not many apps, and to search for an app... Good luck :D But actually, I only use Molotov, Prime Video and YouTube apps so... There is Netflix too.
    FireTV have a better store I think. For now I didn't see anything really good or bad on it. Oh yes, one thing, there is no YouTube app on FireTV :eek: (at least in France, I don't know about others countries). I read somewhere that Google don't allow Amazon to use their apps... But Amazon are smart so they put a shortcut to YouTube.com in the app list. :rolleyes:

Perfs :
    FireTV is really fluid and quick, almost instant.
    WebOS is more... Heavy, and sometimes slow... But maybe is it because my TV is a "low cost" OLED...

I don't know what else to say more so... Good bye :D

PS : I'm so impatient to see what OnePlus will do, so, please, say it quick quick quick ! o_O

18. shyind
    Eclair Nov 26, 2018

shyind , Nov 26, 2018 :
    I have Vu 4K resolution, 40 inches with Tizen OS. It was the cheapest and best of all Smart TVs which costed me only 40k INR. But I always thought it would be great if it has Android OS and a cam to avail proper features of an Android phone. I expect One Plus to have such features and offer them at the same price range to have the best of them.

19. jhfernandez80
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2018

jhfernandez80 , Nov 26, 2018 :
    I´ll start using my FireTV from amazon tonight.....but as I don´t live in USA I believe I won´t enjoy all the "good stuff".
    Will try OneplusTV for sure if you let me!
    Keep sharing with us...#NEVERSETTLE

20. MrMysakovich

Helder_DAlmeida, Todd W. and meatandy like this.