TV Talk Series: Week 3 – What is a truly “Smart” TV?

1. mokaeswar
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2018

mokaeswar , Nov 26, 2018 :
    The touchpoint between TV and Me is Remote. So, Make the Remote hyper-convinient to me.
    Some features maybe Voice Control, Air Gesture Control and Non-Confusing.

And Also you can try make the users control OnePlus TV by their OnePlus Mobile (By WiFi Connectivity or a better sensor alternative)

2. Predict23
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 26, 2018

Predict23 , Nov 26, 2018 :
    All i can say is OLED is a must and the OS should work fast unlike other Smart TV's, if possible to build a UI based on Android pie or greater and not use Android TV which is limited for alot of apps or features.

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  3. G_Usha_K_zXfk
    Cupcake Nov 26, 2018

4. G_Sudha_K_vxdW
    Donut Nov 26, 2018

5. Shaurya 221
    Honeycomb Nov 26, 2018

Shaurya 221 , Nov 26, 2018 :
    a TV that does what it is advertised to do.
    without problems without bugs just doing what it is supposed to do. "for example my Sony TV was marketed at being one of the first of their models to have hdcp link with the PS4 enabled which basically allows you to turn your TV on when you turn on your PS4 and vice-versa. this works to an extent... as in if my TV is on and is on another HDMI output let's say q and my PS4 is on HDMI 4. then the TV takes me to HDMI 4 automatically when turning the console on. which is good HOWEVER it does not do that it was advertised to do."
    so OnePlus create your TV in such a way. that it does what it is supposed to do nothing more and definitely nothing less that my ideal smart TV

6. EverythingWithAlex
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2018

7. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Nov 26, 2018

Dunnow , Nov 26, 2018 :
    If you guys do not release a TV with Android TV on it no one is buying. That simple.

8. kaihp
    Jelly Bean Nov 26, 2018

kaihp , Nov 26, 2018 :
    Mine has WIFI, but I have turned it off because I REALLY wired (1Gbps) Ethernet. WIFI is a half-dulex (simplex) shared medium; wired is full-duplex medium with full BW on all ports on the switch at the same time (as.s-u-me'ing you organize the traffic well).

I'm a nerd, so I have 10Gbps fiber between my NAS, switch and the desktop PC o_O. 300MB/s disk-to-disk sustained wroom wroom! :D :cool:

Helder_DAlmeida and Todd W. like this.
  9. HTK
    Honeycomb Nov 26, 2018

HTK , Nov 26, 2018 :
    I have a sony TV with android os.

I think Android os is a great and easy to use, apart from that it integates to the smart home eco system with no headaches, something that i think is really important, because I don't have to use 3rd party devices. My experience could be way better with the tv if it had more ram for navigating thru menus and apps.

Now! where they got me disappointed was with the remote! The tv brought a traditional remote. Typing, navigating thru menus, interacting with google os (no microphone) and basically the whole tv interaction is tragic.

Make a remote that feels part of the tv! And that will make the user complete the connection.

10. Guru0277
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2018

Guru0277 , Nov 26, 2018 :
    Yeah, you are correct. Samsung and LG are covered most of the market. I have using LG for last three year. From purchase i just got a only one update for software. After they are stop to give anything to WebOS For my TV.(picture quality and sound quality still up to date, no complaint for anything in last three year except software update)

Play store of LG have only limited apps and too slow to open it .
    Youtube and Netflix are working fine they have time to time update for both the software and its mostly used on that.

While OP you have to develop a Great TV with Great Helium OS for TV. So user can get best experience with best quality

Helder_DAlmeida, Todd W. and meatandy like this.
  11. TheRealGamer
    Lollipop Nov 26, 2018

TheRealGamer , Nov 26, 2018 :
    So, My Suggestions are Here !

( Attention ! These are all my suggestion, So it may/May Not like you )

Let's Go !

Cast - For the TV to make it really Smart, it should have stable Cast feature. Most of Cast is just terrible to connect or just takes a lot of time, So Cast should be a thing, As we often use our phone to display some pics We took in holiday.

Remote App - We don't need to find remotes everytime, because sometimes it's a frustrating thing, So always an app for TV is Most welcome. This functionality can be done with Bluetooth AFAIK.

UI - The Text & Images should be Big. As TVs are getting bigger and we basically try to see the image than reading the small text, So The Image should be large.

Display - Ofcourse it's the main thing in a TV. Though all I can say is use the Best Display ! OLEDs are Better So I hope you've already thought about it.

Bezel - Yup, Even Some Smart TVs has bezels, you need to buy the Costliest to get rid of bezels. So OnePlus I hope you will shove the bezel off, at a Low Cost

Wallpaper Mode - I've seen on quite lots of TV. This is basically camouflaging the surrounding ( as per Samsung TVs ) This is not an necessity feature, But it could help in marketing.

About My TV - I've Panasonic 3D TV that has Plasma Display. But for past many years, I've never used 3D because it's not much of useful and even new Smart TVs aren't including 3D feature. it's sort of Gimmick or we can say Marketing Strategy. the 3D looks good, But Yeah not useful for long time.

Helder_DAlmeida and meatandy like this.
  12. choby
    Froyo Nov 26, 2018

choby , Nov 26, 2018 :
    I have an LG smart tv it's good....but Android TV and the App you can use on it are awesome
    it's like have an 55'' smartphone android :)

meatandy likes this.
  13. ThinkOfANumber
    Cupcake Nov 26, 2018

ThinkOfANumber , Nov 26, 2018 :
    Whilst WebOS and Tizen are good for TV "smarts" Android TV is a more comprehensive ecosystem. The Sony and Philips implementations are hobbled by out of date OS versions running badly on underpowered SoC's.
    I think you should be aiming at least for Nvidia Shield TV level as it's already on Oreo, soon to be on Pie and even though it is 4 years old is still one of the most advanced and comprehensive solutions out there. It will run a Plex server, Kodi client and it will let you sideload apps.
    If you can't match that as a starting level you will be so out of date so quickly which would be such a shame. Whatever you put on the TV has to keep relatively up to date for the average 5-year life of a TV.

Helder_DAlmeida and meatandy like this.
  14. dermot33
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 26, 2018

dermot33 , Nov 26, 2018 :
    One thing you guys could work on and other TV's do, for the most part badly is gaming mode for image enhancement and input lag,you have to fo lot of tinkering on my Lg TV to get game mode and hdr to look good

Todd W. likes this.
  15. YummdudeMohit
    Froyo Nov 26, 2018

YummdudeMohit , Nov 26, 2018 :
    I call Something SMART when I can control it by my smartphone or easily connected to my other smart devices.
    Like 1.Smartphone
    2. wireless Headphone
    3. Voice Assistance devices
    4. Smart Lights
    5. SmartWatch
    6. SmartCCTV or Doorbell Camera

16. Drewbikscube
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Nov 26, 2018

Drewbikscube , Nov 26, 2018 :

Hey @Todd W. ,

I'm loving the 6T right now. Especially after the latest update. I'll share more details specifically about that soon on my LAB review, Stay Tuned!

When it comes to "Smart" TV's, I've had a few with various OS offerings from Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, LG, etc.. Currently in our living room we have a Samsung curved 4K smart TV and in our bedroom we have a LG 4K Smart TV. However we never use the "smart" software on the TV's themselves. We have an Xbox One S for each of the TV's. We also have an Apple TV in the living room. Before selling them recently, we also had a chromecast on both TV's. We sold the chromecasts because we never used them having the Xbox's and the Apple TV. If it wasn't for having movies already purchased from Apple, we'd probably ditch our Apple TV and just use the Xbox's. We also don't have cable so we only use Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, HBO, etc.. We're a household of 6, (4 kids ranging from 4-10 years of age). We have a "Minions" profile on all our streaming services for the kids and a profile for ourselves. The kids know how to use each and typically access these from the Apple TV in the living room or the Xbox in our bedroom. Both offer an incredibly intuitive interface and the remotes are incredibly simple. Even the 4 year old can navigate to Netflix and play her favorite show. I cannot imagine us ever using the TV's software.

I surveyed my office, as well as quite a few friends outside of work, and it sounds like they all have smart TV's but none of them use the TV's OS. They all have another device whether it's an Apple TV, Fire Stick, Chromecast, Xbox, PS4, etc.. Out of easily the 30+ people I surveyed, no one said they're using their "Smart" TV. 80% of those I spoke with don't even have their TV connected to their network. They all turn on their TV and immediate change to their preferred HDMI device. I think it's fair to say this is probably very similar for most, at least in the US I'd think. As I've mentioned previously, I think the market is already heavily inundated with "Smart" devices and Smart TV's that allow us to stream. I think this will be a very, VERY, difficult market for OnePlus to dive into at this point in time. Easily OnePlus will need to be able to provide at least 3-5 new innovative features that make their "TV" or "TV Device" smarter in comparison to all the other devices already offered. If OnePlus offers a device or TV that does all the same things that all of my current devices already do, I myself wouldn't be interested and wouldn't purchase it, even being a fan of OnePlus and typically carrying a OP phone as my daily driver. I think this will resonate with many. I'm curious though to read more responses and to hear what others think. I'm especially curious to see how many people out there use just their primary TV's smart features versus another device.

Todd W., cdnfarmer and meatandy like this.
  17. aidangaller
    Froyo Nov 26, 2018

aidangaller , Nov 26, 2018 :
    This is amazing, OnePlus will make a great TV with good software and support. I have a Google TV from LG that no apps work on anymore do to end of support after a year and bad software. Create Oxygen OS for the TV, Google's different tv softwares suck.

Smart Is:

Good Software
    Good Features
    Lasts For A Good Amount Of Years
    Good Technology
    Functional

18. Navjeet1989
    Cupcake Nov 26, 2018

Navjeet1989 , Nov 26, 2018 :
    The major issue I have experienced is the time it takes for a smart TV to boot up .
    then there is the issue of the remote , it just takes a lot of time to type even though some of the company have started including a minimalist design and a voice search on their remote .
    you have already mentioned the lack of apps but thoes apps are what we are looking for in a smart TV
    the most interesting part is that I am looking forward to to seeing a oxygen/hydrogen os for a TV that has a easy connectivity with any smartphone .

19. Crucible
    Cupcake Nov 26, 2018

Crucible , Nov 26, 2018 :
    Personally I would like to see some casting capability. my experience with most smart TVs is fine save for some cheaper Android based ones but having the ability to cast wirelessly from a computer to play say a video game would be phenomenal

20. Poghos Petrosyan
    Cupcake Nov 26, 2018

Poghos Petrosyan , Nov 26, 2018 :
    In my opinion Oxygen OS can be fitted for One Plus TV. If there is no possibility to do that kind of changes in Oxygen OS it will be nice to have Android OS based TV because there is lots of interesting application in play market for TVs.