TV Talk Series: Week 3 – What is a truly “Smart” TV?

1. manuel19
    KitKat Nov 26, 2018

Helder_DAlmeida and meatandy like this.
  2. Walterdw24
    Eclair Nov 26, 2018

Walterdw24 , Nov 26, 2018 :
    A television that can be controlled with a cell phone application connected to Wi-Fi, to write more comfortable and use sensors for various things or as a touchpad, I did not see it in any manufacturer and I think it's a great idea.

Helder_DAlmeida and Todd W. like this.
  3. jugegamo
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2018

jugegamo , Nov 26, 2018 :
    may be it's not a smart tv what we need from oneplus, but an addendum that would make a so called "Smart tv" really smart. honour your name and make us say: i have ONE tv PLUS the little gadget you will come up with that will make things really really different.

Todd W. likes this.
  4. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Nov 26, 2018

Its.Leandroo , Nov 26, 2018 :
    We have a 32" Philips TV in our living room with Android TV and a skin on top. We didn't want to spent a lot of money on it, so this was our best bet. It turned out to be a love-hate relationship after a while.

One of the positive things is the Ambient lighting. It's a nice addition that makes looking at the TV a bit more pleasant. I have RGB lighting behind my desk too, to fill up the shadows. Another thing I like are the small bezels. But there the good things end.

I will list a few of my irritations below.
    1. Crashes and lag: This is my main issue. Loading apps is so incredibly slow, that it just becomes uncomfortable using it. For example; You are on the home-screen, and want to listen to a song on Spotify. It takes (I measured) 6 seconds to even open the app itself, let alone navigating through the UI where you need to wait 2 seconds before something happens after you pressed the button.
    2. No always-on feature. When you're not using the TV, it just becomes a big black box. What if you could use that space to display the time and date for example? As a TV is always plugged in, battery usage shouldn't be a problem here.
    3. There is no proper app to control your TV. In my opinion the included remote looks ugly (I find looks important) and the buttons aren't easy to press either. I've tried a few remote apps, but there do not seem to be one that has good features (such as hotkeys to launch frequently used apps).
    4. There is no microphone inside. How ironic is it, when you buy a Smart TV, that has Google Assistant support, but it doesn't have a microphone? To use Google Assistant, you have to use the Android TV Remote app, and speak to your phone. Then why not use Google Assistant on your phone instead? In my opinion you should be able to leave your phone upstairs and just talk to the TV, ask for the weather, set a reminder, etc.
    5. On your phone, you have the option to easily set the brightness of your screen. On a TV, you'd have to go to settings > display > colors > brightness > tap the down button 40 times. How hard is it to just make a quick settings panel, with an option to dim your screen. This panel could also contain toggles for Wi-Fi, Bluethooth, and an option to switch between audio outputs.
    6. There is no proper app for playing audio or video files. On my TV, you can browser the contents of a external drive. That's it. You can't do anything with it. If you want to play an .mp3 file, you'll need a Play Music subscription.
    7. There is a Netflix button on my remote. That's fun and all, but I don't use Netflix. Why are there no re-mappable buttons on the remote? For example, assign button A to launch Google Assistant, and button B to launch Spotify?
    8. Then the last one. Controller support. Now many people will think I'm crazy with this; But why is it still not possible to connect a Xbox One or PS4 controller to your TV to play Real Racing 3 for example? Why are these games in the Play Store for the TV (yes they are explicitly made available for Android TV), when there's no supported input method? This is the same thing on phones btw. I just want to be able to connect my Xbox One controller and play a game. Even map your buttons the way you want to. (It would totally fit into a Gaming section along with the Gaming Mode things).
    Alright those are a few of the issues I have with Android TVs at the moment. They just lack features to actually make them usable other than watching TV.

Cheers!

5. marinobiagio
    KitKat Nov 26, 2018

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  6. malidan
    Marshmallow Nov 26, 2018

malidan , Nov 26, 2018 :
    I've never bought a TV for its so called a smart capabilities, I've bought them based on hardware.
    Oxygen OS on a cheap Vestel in coming.:rolleyes:

7. H1512084347369
    Eclair Nov 26, 2018

8. Cx_1522323
    Froyo Nov 27, 2018

9. Cx_1522323
    Froyo Nov 27, 2018

Cx_1522323 , Nov 27, 2018 :
    I would like the one plus TV to be simple fast smooth and easy to use. I think it would be great if it can run oxygen os and that it is slim. or a clear back to.

10. nyzproof333
    KitKat Nov 27, 2018

nyzproof333 , Nov 27, 2018 :
    I really don't care, just killing time while my daughter is at Gymnastics.

The TV you're launching is likley already deep into production, this is nothing more than a marketing thread to raise awareness.

Yawn....

Helder_DAlmeida and meatandy like this.
  11. Phillyslix
    Gingerbread Nov 27, 2018

Phillyslix , Nov 27, 2018 :
    Having one Smart TV, which is LG WebOS, I have not had any issues with lag or unresponsiveness. My other TVs aren't smart but have Apple TV connected. I've used a Fire TV stick with with a non-smart Samsung TV but I'd constantly lose the connection or have a lot of buffering when watching shows or movies. Mind you, this is the same internet connection and speed that's being used with the LG Smart TV and the non-smart TVs with Apple TV connected. Personally, I ve had a better experience with LG over Samsung, Toshiba, and Phillips. I wish that future smart TVs would use the same platform of Android for a smoother experience across the board for all TV brands.

Helder_DAlmeida, Todd W. and meatandy like this.
  12. James Paret
    Froyo Nov 27, 2018

James Paret , Nov 27, 2018 :

xythiii

I have used web os 4.0 and compared to tizen its quite bettet and faster...
    Oneplus should change the game bring a 4k hdr tv with qled or oled technology, oxygen os and lower price...​

This [e]2b06[/e]️. Also support for HD audio passthrough, because that's missing on a lot of TV's. Like, I have several Dolby Atmos supported devices, but I can only hook one up to my Soundbar (LG SJ9). My TV doesn't support DD+ or DTS-HD passthrough and I hate that... Also while on the subject of Dolby: Go for Dolby Vision support, because HDR10 and HLG aren't that great imo...

edit: my tv is a Panasonic (not sure what OS it uses, I think it's one of their own)

13. Todd W.
    TV Product Marketing Staff Member Nov 27, 2018

Todd W. , Nov 27, 2018 :
    @yash, Great inputs, thank you!! And you made highlights, so nice for my reading!!

Helder_DAlmeida and YRJ like this.
  14. Todd W.

Todd W. , Nov 27, 2018 :
    Sony it is, how is the hardware working so far, display, sound quality, connectivity...

15. Todd W.

Todd W. , Nov 27, 2018 :
    I will make sure it's easy for you to turn on the TV, so you will use it more often, haha, just joking.
    Do you currently have problem turning it off?

Helder_DAlmeida and luxuskamel like this.
  16. Todd W.

Todd W. , Nov 27, 2018 :
    Thank you @gaster , I believe Web OS is a good one, do you find all your favorite apps on it?

17. BadMurdo
    Donut Nov 27, 2018

BadMurdo , Nov 27, 2018 :
    I have one LG and one Sony TV. The LG is a bit sluggish and I almost never use the smart features. The Android OS on the Sony is a easier system to use and I find myself using it from time to time.

I also have an Amazon Alexa fire cube and use it constantly. being able to turn the TV and the attached components on or off, volume control, and selecting what to watch with my voice is amazing. OnePlus, what are you bring to the table???

18. Mat.PL
    Froyo Nov 27, 2018

Mat.PL , Nov 27, 2018 :
    i hope that TV will be not have IPS...only VA or Oled..must have good hdr min.800 or more nits and low input lag on game mode and must look nice! what is the first tv project some information ?

19. johneebee
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Nov 27, 2018

johneebee , Nov 27, 2018 :
    I have a panasonic smart TV.. I love the fact that it has a full keyboard on the back of the remote, sadly it isn't 100% responsive with lots of tiny buttons..

some kind of touch screen on the remote / better keys would be nice, or an android app/ integrated microphone for text input would be nice!

I do love the ambient back lighting, it gives the effect that the screen doesn't actually stops where it stops especially if you have it in front of a white wall

20. SourabhJain1997
    Froyo Nov 27, 2018

SourabhJain1997 , Nov 27, 2018 :
    i have mi tv and navigation really is terrible. , amazon fire tv stick's remote burns down battery within a week if the voice feature is used.. and i hope one tv comes with support of amazon prime videos and stuff.. cause it cannot be used in other tv's , we need to buy a firetv stick for it... it would be so awesome if tv can actually hear you...just like google assistant devices.. like hey (( what you're gonna name your tv)) and tell, Switch to HDMI1 or apps .