TV Talk Series: Week 3 – What is a truly “Smart” TV?

1. Plenkske
    Dutch POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 27, 2018

Plenkske , Nov 27, 2018 :
    I have pretty good experiences with the OS of my Samsung TVs. I have an old one which worked fine at the start, but very slow. And now the apps on that thing dont work at all (maybe some, but not so good). The only thing still working on it is network streaming over DLNA, which I also used most on it. I put a Chromecast in it to do the rest.

My newest tv has Tizen OS and what I use most:
    - Netflix app
    - occasionally other apps (streaming services or Youtube)
    - occasionally casting my smartphone screen
    - network streaming over DLNA which works good, even with 4k content

But, I also have a self build HTPC with Windows 10. Why: Kodi works best with it and I can combine it with my Logitech Remote and audio receiver.

What I would like to see in the Smart part of the OnePlus TV:
    - make sure the hardware is capable so the software experience is fast and smooth ! that means fast cpu, ram and storage. capable of playing native 4k and all video/audio codecs.
    - support native chromecasting. sometimes TVs have something different in casting, and then not all devices can see the TV as possbile casting device.
    - network streaming over DLNA
    - make sure the TV can be remote controlled easily with smartphone and a nice remote that also has a sort of touchpad so you can easily move through buttons instead of using the arrow keys all the time.
    - as for the OS... its very hard to make a choice. I think currently the best choice is Android TV , but as you said there are some downsides aswell. (see next point)
    - the downsides could be solved if you create something extra: a direct link with your smartphone. in two ways:
    1. something like a dashboard that can show general stuff like news, weather, notifications, calendar, notes.
    2. a full desktop experience. so you can browse, mail etc. and also use all your android apps.

2. The_Unkown
    Jelly Bean Nov 27, 2018

The_Unkown , Nov 27, 2018 :
    I have been using Samsung smart TV since past 4 years and trust me it's not smart . even it has browser on which you can't browse (1). It has YouTube and hotstar in built which can't be used (2).

i am keeping my post in limited words as the functionalities of smart TV is limited ... specially when it comes to top brand like Samsung.

Points 1 and 2 are explained below.

1. the key board issue. It's very irritating to type using keyboard on the smart TV . So I will suggest OnePlus team to use some sort of app which uses the mobile screen to type the URL or anything for the smart TV. that will really help.

2. the apps for unknown reason misbehave or doesn't open or sometimes ask for payment. I don't know why. and the support with inbuilt app is not proper. there is always some sort of plugin issues or what ever ( though these things have been resolved or not found in Android TV) but if OnePlus is trying to bring its own OS for TV please be sure to include all the required plug in for different videos format so that user does not have to feel outdated with latest TV .

What smart TV I would like to have should be with following features
    :-

1. Typing of address or anything should be seamlessly easy and comfortable. Use some kind of apps to sync with mobile keyboard or voice assistant keyboard.
    2. Moving from one app to another app should be easy and handy

3. Good support for screen mirroring and internet thing.

4. should be smart enough to switch off itself when no one is watching

5. Auto adjustable volume , bigger screen , 4k support .

6 . and other features which are there now in market as well.

Todd W. likes this.
  3. Rambabu Kella
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2018

Rambabu Kella , Nov 27, 2018 :
    I'm using VU 55" 4K Iconium .
    using that TV from last 3 years.
    this is a great TV, that plays all types of video/audio. even playing my 6T 4K 60fps video in smooth way.
    I never had an issue while playing video from 2TB USB 3.0 hdd.

castings works fine but less quality.

casting with original quality would be a great feature to implement

Todd W. likes this.
  4. Hjhitesh07
    Eclair Nov 27, 2018

5. Hjhitesh07
    Eclair Nov 27, 2018

Hjhitesh07 , Nov 27, 2018 :
    the issues I face while using a tv is that it's not fast and uncomfortable to use I want it to be a but optimized and comfortable to change channels or settings through dedicated remote

6. mewadasandeep
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2018

mewadasandeep , Nov 27, 2018 :
    OP Team, I am using Nvidia Sheild as media and gaming streamer device on my old Philips 4k TV. Experience is extremely worth and speed is best. I can say it is smart as I am able to control many things like from Alexa device to TV, Gaming experience, TV to Google, Google to apps, mobile to TV, voice to TV. Amazon prime also works with this. I would be happy if OnePlus is coming with such kind of worthy experience with the help of TV or Streaming device.
    Use android and on top of it have OP OS.

Todd W. and mtfountain like this.
  7. mtfountain
    Donut Nov 27, 2018

mtfountain , Nov 27, 2018 :
    Interesting topic. What makes a TV 'Smart'? In my experience of several devices over the last 5-6 years I'd have to say that due to the minimal number of true smart apps aimed at the TV experience, it would have to be more than just the movie / TV programme based apps.

As experiences, Tizen and WebOS are reasonably good, while sadly suffering from app deficiency. The earlier Samsung OS was probably better in terms of available apps and developer community, but did tend to crash on a regular basis.

Android TV is a much better experience to me and I use my Nvidia Shield way more than WebOS on my LG, except when Netflix keeps freezing. We have to keep in mind that Android TV is limited again in apps that have been developed specifically for the big screen experience, unless you carry out what I feel are unsatisfactory hacks to shoe-horn in a side-loaded app, which is different to an 'android box' that simply projects a mobile phone OS onto a screen much bigger than it was designed for. Google have work to do in motivating the Android TV developer community.

In the UK, some of the main Freeview digital channels have apps on some smart TV platforms but not others. You can side-load the SDK's onto Android TV but functionality with a TV remote is limited and frustrating. If you have to open a remote control app on a smart phone to get functionality, you might as well just use a chromecast.

If Smart TV is to succeed, it must become the centre of a wider experience, similar to the way Google, LG and Samsung are trying to make their boxes and screens the hub of the Smart Home. Right now I'd find it tricky to give up my Shield as it's the closest thing to what I consider a Smart TV device to be and importantly it has support for just about every major video and audio codec, something other manufacturers omit.

Todd W. likes this.
  8. abhishek bhaskar
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2018

abhishek bhaskar , Nov 27, 2018 :
    "Smart TV" most of the TV manufacturing company doesn't provide features which are truly smart, just by providing Android touch to the TV doesn't truly define Smart, A smart technology which is handy and useful for everyday use defines smartness.

some of the smartness which are missing in smart TV's today are listed below.

hardware

* A powerful chip which is capable of handling awesome gfx.
    * good memory
    * eligant design
    * HDR panel with balanced color, which provides live and ultimate experience.
    * Dolby Atmos sound system, users should not buy additional sound bars unless needed.

software

* Oxygen OS for TV with Android Feel makes sense, an Android TV should not have any boundries like in other TV's. it should be the same as one used in smartphones. like complete access to play store and many more.
    * Make use of Artificial intelligence which is the future technology.
    * one Remote for one tv, less buttons more functionality
    * Google assistant is mandatory for voice commands, commands should not be restricted to search movies or increase volume it should do much more and break all barriers.
    * as always regular updates.

PRICE

when OnePlus launched OnePlus one with lots of features and unbelievable price that's were OnePlus grabbed all eyes. follow the same path for next baby from OnePlus family.

Thanks
    abhi

Todd W. likes this.
  9. sid_magaji
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2018

sid_magaji , Nov 27, 2018 :
    I have a Samsung smart TV from 2014, believe me, the app store hasn't been updated. same old apps, but they added Netflix though, just to be in the game.
    I would love to see a OnePlus TV.

Todd W. likes this.
  10. Jsprince04
    Froyo Nov 27, 2018

11. leo.avneet
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2018

leo.avneet , Nov 27, 2018 :
    I am using Nvidia Shield Pro with my 4k TV and android TV experience is the best so far. Nvidia has been actively working with the shield community for new features and fixing bugs which has allowed shield to survive 3 years since its launch with the same hardware.

mtfountain likes this.
  12. S1539354905592
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2018

13. J1510882088302
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2018

J1510882088302 , Nov 27, 2018 :
    If OnePlus is coming up with TV.
    I expect TV to be very user friendly with all the latest software and Apps available and everyone will get to know what "Smart TV" stands for.
    #IAMWAITING
    #NEVERSETTLE
    #LOVEYOUONEPLUS

Todd W. likes this.
  14. G_Warren_George_Williams
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2018

G_Warren_George_Williams , Nov 27, 2018 :
    Having recently bought a top of the range latest model 4k LG TV I find the latest version of web os to be fluid and quick. The quick launch of apps such as Netflix and Amazon is great as is the wii style remote. Having 3 types of voice control is great for the kids who aren't that great at typing in searches is a plus too. I also have a fairly recent Samsung smart TV that lacks some of these features and is slower and I know a couple of people who own Sony smart TVs and they rarely use the smart features due to the apps crashing and general sluggishness. What TV needs is a common user interface that makes it simple to do stuff and quick like Oxygen OS.

Todd W. likes this.
  15. alexhpeterson
    US Brand Ambassador Nov 27, 2018

alexhpeterson , Nov 27, 2018 :
    Haven't used smart TVs much recently, but having automatic volume control to adjust the volume based on the ambient sound in the room would be fantastic if the TV is on when people are watching and talking at the same time

Todd W. likes this.
  16. cdnfarmer
    Jelly Bean Nov 27, 2018

cdnfarmer , Nov 27, 2018 :
    There are so many type of "SMART" TVs out there. Honestly, I keep coming back to the regular TV because the frustration of its use or its OS is sluggish. my parents has a big Samsung SMART TV yet they had to add on many accessories (e.g. camera, pvr) to make it work at its full potential. Then with the accessories came the remotes. The biggest thing is the OS is slow, navigating the menus is a pain and quite frankly frustrating. With the add-ons, they don't work seamlessly with the OS of the tv which negatively affects the experience. We have a Blu ray "smart" like box. Navigating its menu is a challenge and there is a huge delay between clicking the button on the remote and the resulting action taken on the screen. We have reverted to using the computer.

Honestly, i think OnePlus should keep to their "fast, smooth software for a burdenless" user experience in their TVs.
    • What about keeping the unnecessary code out and just what is needed (like Oxygen OS)?
    • The ability to run main apps (Netflix, you tube, other streaming sites, videoconferencing apps etc) and download apps as needed (with limited to no barriers from product/OS perspective).
    • The capacity to stream HD video, great powerbar (audio) that would suffice on its own, ability to connect with Chromecast, and like others have said, make it easy to use, even connect to the local TV stations?
    • Have sufficient HDMI and USB ports.
    • Do we need plenty of remotes? For remote, a track pad would be nice vs those arrow buttons on the older remotes. Can its use be smooth with the OS and TV? Could there be a place in the tv that the remote can be stored? The ability to use our OP phones ( and other androids phones (for visitors) as a remote but not mandatoy to have so the phone does not need to stay near the tv. It should be smooth to use and a pleasant experience. Kids should be able to use it without trouble.
    • @Todd W. Having the beneficial features mentioned (e.g. great streaming experiences ) in a fast smooth TV to produce a burdenless experience would be great!

buntycubal, Todd W. and meatandy like this.
  17. E1541554515704
    Cupcake Nov 28, 2018

E1541554515704 , Nov 28, 2018 :
    i think one plus make product like fire stick... because many older custmer not changing tv... like me i use sony android tv...

18. asifansaringp
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2018

asifansaringp , Nov 28, 2018 :
    If OnePlus is coming to TV market then making it affordable yet flagship will be awesome.

1. It should have built in best WiFi capabilities.
    2. Should be 4k
    3. Should support Amazon Prime, YouTube , Netflix, and other streaming services.
    4. Should not lag anywhere.
    5. Should have Gaming support too.
    6. Should support file manager operations between two usb devices.
    7. USB 3 would be great.
    8. Casting in any way should be possible.
    9.RAM should br like OnePlus devices. Extra.
    10. Should support SSD like internal memory.

Todd W. likes this.
  19. Suri_395
    Eclair Nov 28, 2018

20. Nithin JJ
    Cupcake Nov 28, 2018