TV Talk Series: Week 3 – What is a truly “Smart” TV?

1. aalok96
    Cupcake Nov 28, 2018

aalok96 , Nov 28, 2018 :
    i really think a full-fledged android tv os would be great for the upcoming oneplus smart tv. Everyone loves android and use it on bigger screen would be great.

Todd W. likes this.
  2. MilanMoradia
    Froyo Nov 28, 2018

MilanMoradia , Nov 28, 2018 :
    i suggest @OnePlus That I felt while using android and tizen os. that android tv will be lagging after some updates and time while web os and tizen were speedy.

android giving best updates and features. while tizen n other os gaves speed

So I Suggest Bring YOUR Own Os. so i believe that oneplus will give us bestest ever os and speed and features. I believe In You Oneplus.

3. Pull Rushi
    Cupcake Nov 28, 2018

Pull Rushi , Nov 28, 2018 :
    well it all depend on the configuration and the services one provides during the buying and after the buying

I believe that Android TV has potential but clearly too much dependence on Google Android might be bad in the long run it will be interesting to see what OnePlus comes up with and not to mention the price also plays a major role as there is a segment from ₹10000 to ₹70000 in the Indian market as one will buy TV depending on the budget they have

Todd W. likes this.
  4. GuitarHero0179
    Jelly Bean Nov 28, 2018

GuitarHero0179 , Nov 28, 2018 :
    I think fast and consistent performance for the os the TV is running on is really important. And using an OS that's simple but effective and doesn't go outdated in just two years where apps stop working etc. I wouldn't need a lot of fancy features but what the TV offers needs to work perfectly. Same like the Oneplus OS experience on the phones.

Todd W. likes this.
  5. Pull Rushi
    Cupcake Nov 28, 2018

there is a way though by using Linux distributions for is in TV other than android like or loaning risen from Samsung as they will have longer update cycles and won't go out in just a couple if years but it would be interesting if OnePlus could produce an os based on the Linux distributions

Todd W. likes this.
  6. rkidcd911
    Froyo Nov 28, 2018

rkidcd911 , Nov 28, 2018 :
    I must admit I work in a pre owned store and when the chance came to buy a Samsung smart TV at a really good price I jumped at it as my previous TV was a little older and I wanted an upgrade. I do enjoy having the smart features on my TV but I do wish it was a little better integrated with my smart home. Alexa doesn't seem to find it and it also doesn't have Bluetooth built in which I thought would have been a given at its retail price. also when the smart features crash the whole unit becomes unresponsive to the point I have to un plug the power cord before it works again.

7. G_Praveen_R_Acharya_JSNG
    Honeycomb Nov 28, 2018

the_o2 likes this.
  8. P1543405824440
    Cupcake Nov 28, 2018

P1543405824440 , Nov 28, 2018 :
    I m not able to connect my 6t with my LG TV,bcoz i can not find the cast option ,,,can any of new help me?

9. Daredevil23
    Eclair Nov 28, 2018

Daredevil23 , Nov 28, 2018 :
    I guess OnePlus OS on TV will be surely a dealmaker! As the os on their phones are just way up in the top level!!!

Todd W. likes this.
  10. nvnj
    Donut Nov 28, 2018

11. H1541183940311
    Cupcake Nov 28, 2018

H1541183940311 , Nov 28, 2018 :
    Mayb e a remote just like the phone display to control the TV ....just used exclusively for navigation....if we touch on the display, sensors shall activate on the tv screen as same as screen mirroring
    Or maybe an app to support this functionality

12. Darshan jadav
    Donut Nov 28, 2018

Darshan jadav , Nov 28, 2018 :
    Truly smart TV as per My point of view must have following specifications

1.) 4k SOPER AMOLED DISPLAY
    2.) HIGHER RAM AND WITH TB'S OF INBUILT STORAGE
    3.) MOST EFFICIENT AND POWERFULL PROCESSOR WITH MAX GHZ
    4.) HIGHER GRAPHICS TO ENJOY GOOD GAMING
    5.) FAST AND SIMPLE OS LIKE OXYGEN OS
    6.) BUILT IN CHROMECAST, WIFI, ETC...
    7.) SET TOP BOX IN BUILT WITHOUT ANY EXTERNAL ANTENA MEANS BUILT IN STREAMING TECHNOLOGY DIRECT THROUGH SATELLITE LIKE SATELLITE PHONE WORKS NO ANY SINGLE WIRE REQUIRED.
    8.) AND ALSO AI ENABLED
    9.) 3D AND DOLBY SOUND...BIG SOUND
    10.) PRICE IN BUDGET SEGMENT...[e]1f604[/e][e]1f604[/e][e]1f604[/e]
    11.) SLIM BEZEL LESS DESIGN...
    12.) A SINGLE SMART PHONE TO CONTROL EVERYTHING...

NOW, THAT'S CALLED SMART TV...

Todd W. likes this.
  13. Pull Rushi
    Cupcake Nov 28, 2018

better yet if they give ir blaster with TV remote app seems Pretty good

14. Sarath babu24
    Cupcake Nov 28, 2018

15. Akhshay Srinivasan
    Nougat Nov 28, 2018

Akhshay Srinivasan , Nov 28, 2018 :
    Without an IR blaster inbuilt, Op TVs are of no use.

So, any upcoming smartphones from OnePlus needs to have an IRB. Just a comparison with the Mi TV's which are as low as their smartphones with every higher quality a TV user needs.

So will OnePlus satisfy all of 'em @Todd W. ? :)

Ofc yes, but with 5G networks TV's are in no way connected as we use only our WiFi dongle or router to connect with our smart TV / web channels we need or operate.

Hence, what exactly needed is an efficient price module and a well built TV which lasts for long for the price we pay and for the purpose we use !

What do you say @meatandy ? ;-;

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018

Todd W. likes this.
  16. VikasKu303087
    Cupcake Nov 28, 2018

VikasKu303087 , Nov 28, 2018 :
    I believe a smart TV should sync with all my internet enabled devices and apart from entertainment it should provide me a seamless experience of enjoying all my internet enabled devices

17. mailbhaskaran
    Cupcake Nov 28, 2018

mailbhaskaran , Nov 28, 2018 :
    TV should have all the apps and also it should have enough ports for connectivity. Now a days there are HD ready , HD, OLED TV. But the picture quality is not so good. speaker are also not as powerful as expected.

18. raktim_24
    Cupcake Nov 29, 2018

raktim_24 , Nov 29, 2018 :
    I usually have two Smart TVs. One is samsung that has Tizen and another one being TCL (iffalcon) which is officially Android. Though i enjoyed the experience on both the Tvs but as a consumer i believe its not the tv but the experience of content watching that makes a tv that special.

My stand on all these TVs these days is that they should focus on giving the best visual experience that a consumer can get. If u research the market, u will see that no company creates oled TVs which range from sizes 32-49 inches. I belive an average consumer will really love to buy an affordable oled tv with few exceptions on the tv being that smart.

I don't know how feasible this might be... But if atall its possible plz consider an option of producing low priced oled tvs which can support hdr. I know this might affect cost of production.. But again no body has ever done it... And specially nobody wants to settle with LCDs just coz u can't afford. (NEVER SETTLE )

Coming to the question of whats smart??
    Obviously a TV that can give a seamless experience and a future proof smart operating system coupled with the support of best screens with a punch of better specs with make it a super tv but making it so good as market leading brands and that too at feasible cost will be something worth calling SMART.

Finally my specsheet for a smart tv shall be following

32-42" oled tv
    Oxygen os
    Atleast 90hz refresh rate
    Atleast 2gb Ram and latest android built (for gamers)
    Hdr

If u can do this u have already got urself ur first customer... [e]1f61c[/e][e]1f61c[/e][e]1f44d[/e][e]1f44d[/e]

Todd W. likes this.
  19. JT013
    Cupcake Nov 29, 2018

JT013 , Nov 29, 2018 :
    Hi, I'm an owner of two Samsung smart TV. Honestly the only thing smart about is the Netflix app. Surfing on the web and watching YouTube should be as fast as on the OP6.

There should be a built-in Chromecast.

This should make a TV more smart.

Todd W. likes this.
  20. Todd W.
    TV Product Marketing Staff Member Nov 29, 2018

Todd W. , Nov 29, 2018 :
    Great idea it is!

Walterdw24 likes this.