TV Talk Series: Week 3 – What is a truly “Smart” TV?

1. Thorodon
    Eclair Nov 29, 2018

Thorodon , Nov 29, 2018 :
    The reality is if you design a whole new tv and try to sell the complete unit it will not sell as well because people dont upgrade there tv's yearly and normally most households have more then one. So the logical route is to go down the route of roku and fire stick by having a way to upgrade your tv a lot easier and at a lower cost. Also a lot greener route. For the device/tv to be appealing it needs to cater for all the mainstream services and pack a decent cpu/gpu to allow for a fluid experience. A market leading standard must be set. apple tv is fluid but limited and too expensive. nvidia shield falls into the same category of being too expensive. They fail because why should some one pay extra for a device when the tv has the services built in. but at the same time all those people who own samsung, lg and sony tvs are unlikely to buy whole new tvs just because it bears a OnePlus logo. Release an additional high powered low cost device to get people familiar with the brand and the software experience. Then release entire tvs made with the brand and software already built in. The reality is here in the UK anyway most people keep there TVs for at least 5 years. There maybe the small techy niche that upgrade more often, but i am talking mass market

As for features.

A smooth ui that has maximum ability to customise.
    All mainstream apps onboard
    Google services to correlate with phones services. ie google play movies. chromecast, google assistant.
    A separate remote and phone remote. choice is key.
    A decent Snapdragon SoC
    It should work seemless with your phone
    If a camera is added add the ability to cover it at choice
    Bluetooth ofc

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018

Todd W. and toastytoast1234 like this.
  2. techarim
    Eclair Nov 29, 2018

techarim , Nov 29, 2018 :
    I have been so excited about OnePlus launching a Smart TV that I forgot about a thing that has always bugged me. Why do people buy Smart TVs worth thousands of dollars when a good Android Box from ********** under $100 can make any TV smart? I, myself have used some Smart TVs, but I still prefer my Android Box which is pretty much good for me.

As for the OS, a customised Android is expected to give the best experience. Moreover, the millions of apps on Play Store is what most people want. But, the usability of these apps on a TV or an Android Box is still an issue to be addressed. I am pretty sure that OnePlus' custom Android port for the TV will be awesome. I would love OnePlus to concentrate more on ways for people to interact with the TV more efficiently. There's already the remote that works as a mouse, voice control, etc. But, still, I find these pretty bad for UX. At the same time, a touchscreen TV is going to be really expensive. It might be absurd, but what do you guys think of a hand gesture controlled TV, like the Kinect on Xbox?

Todd W. likes this.
  3. Chris Ndolo
    Cupcake Nov 29, 2018

Chris Ndolo , Nov 29, 2018 :
    In a few years time One plus will have an eco system,from smartphones to TV to who knows what next[e]1f60a[/e]!

4. TibiTibi
    Nougat Nov 29, 2018

TibiTibi , Nov 29, 2018 :
    My expectations from a smart tv?
    1) the software:
    Imagine a fast and smooth smartphone.
    I await the same experience just on bigger >50'' display.
    Polished and usefull UI. Wide customizations.
    Minimum clicks to achieve a desired action.

2) the hardware:
    Minimalistic and high performance display with just one signal/power input cable.
    Separated tv box with all popular inputs and outputs - maybe in form of soundbar.

3) mutual mirrorring: phone to TV and TV to phone.

buntycubal, Todd W. and YRJ like this.
  5. OPAndrew
    Donut Nov 30, 2018

OPAndrew , Nov 30, 2018 :
    Most Smart TV Platforms are sorely lacking in my opinion. I've used Vizio and Samsung. For Vizio, both the Mobile App and actual Smart TV platform version. The biggest issue IMO is lack of a good search or a good way to enter text quickly. Think logging into many different streaming platforms. Entering text is tedious.

Android TV based Smart TV's are pretty good though as most of those TV's have voice input, voice search, etc. They work pretty well. It's the best alternative to an actual Android TV or Roku.

I have to admit, I've not extensively used Roku (I'm an Android guy) or Roku based TV's. They do come highly rated though, so I'd say that should be a benchmark.

YRJ likes this.
  6. aris
    Jelly Bean Nov 30, 2018

aris , Nov 30, 2018 :
    Most smart tv's are slow when you try to use the apps on them. I hope that Oneplus TV will be faster.

7. MikaAleksandroff
    Cupcake Nov 30, 2018

MikaAleksandroff , Nov 30, 2018 :
    In my experience, all reasonably priced TVs are horribly slow. By "reasonable" I mean <$1500. I don't know about $2000+ TVs.

What I want/need from a TV:

- Speed. If I open TV Guide to see programming I want it to appear "immediately" instead of after waiting for 10 seconds
    - Good image quality
    - Excellent co-operation with Android devices

Based on past experiences I don't need or prefer my TV to be "Smart". So far basically every single one I have tried may have been more or less smart but most of the time utterly annoying. My phone, on the other hand, is not slow and most of the time not annoying. The usability of Android TV is also quite far from what I get on my mobile.

As more and more TV time is moving towards streaming anyway I would prefer a good picture quality yet "stupid" TV, which supports Chromecast (and others) so that I can use any streaming app I might have installed on my mobile devices and cast it on TV.

Todd W. likes this.
  8. amywu
    Froyo Nov 30, 2018

amywu , Nov 30, 2018 :
    We own a Samsung smart TV at home, tbh it was fun to play with for the first month. The built in website browser was super laggy, typing in a website was unbearable, it took a few seconds for it to register. I even paired it with a USB keyboard, it did not help the situation much. The Samsung smart TV “SmartHub”, is still at its infancy stage. (Constant updates)

The YouTube app on the Samsung smart TV is pretty cool though, you can choose whatever video you would like to watch on your smartphone and cast it onto the TV.

For now, I just use an old desktop and use the Samsung smart TV as the monitor. It basically does everything what the Samsung smart TV can do and more.

Todd W. likes this.
  9. G_Joel_Kruse_iFxq
    Donut Nov 30, 2018

G_Joel_Kruse_iFxq , Nov 30, 2018 :
    I have a "smart" TV at home which Samsung claims can handle apps like Netflix, YouTube, hbo and more but even browse the hole internet from the TV and stream directly from the internet. but I does not work, at all. it's really slow, it's complicated, and the browsing menu breaks down all the time. The TV tries to log in all the time in to my Samsung account but fail miserably every time.
    A smart TV for me should be simple and fast. You only need to log in one time, and that's it. And that's what I think you should aim for with your TV, a TV that's simple, fast and effortless.

Todd W. likes this.
  10. Ray_ofLight
    Gingerbread Nov 30, 2018

Ray_ofLight , Nov 30, 2018 :
    A stock OOS on OnePlus Smart TVs would be a good start, just as OnePlus phones ship with clean OOS without useless junkware.

PreshitK likes this.
  11. jvodonos001
    Donut Dec 1, 2018

jvodonos001 , Dec 1, 2018 :
    Honestly, the WebOS platform for LG works great for me and I think OnePlus should take some of the best elements from it. It's very fast to navigate with the Wii kind of remote and I loved how the menus were out of the way of the content you were watching. Most important, the selection of apps is very important, I need to have all of my streaming platforms with 4k resolution because I rarely watch regular TV.

12. Todd W.
    TV Product Marketing Staff Member Dec 1, 2018

Todd W. , Dec 1, 2018 :
    Thank you for the review, it dose help! There is a lot to get improved on a TV OS.

YRJ likes this.
  13. Todd W.
    TV Product Marketing Staff Member Dec 1, 2018

Todd W. , Dec 1, 2018 :
    Many people use TV as a bigger screen or monitor, no problem with that, display is the fundamental function of a TV.

kaihp and YRJ like this.
  14. craigsn
    Cupcake Dec 1, 2018

craigsn , Dec 1, 2018 :
    [/QUOTE]

I agree with this, but if you have a oneplus phone (and others of course), why not use the phone to enter the letters/numbers. In fact, there should be a TV app on the phone that allows you to control the all of the features.

Todd W. likes this.
  15. PreshitK
    Donut Dec 1, 2018

PreshitK , Dec 1, 2018 :
    My suggestion to you about OS is use our own OS for TV, Oxygen TV OS. It will be easy to stay connected to TV with your OP mobiles.

16. Louioo
    Honeycomb Dec 1, 2018

Louioo , Dec 1, 2018 :
    You can currently do this with Android TV, it's just very fiddly and when you haven't got your phone nearby, it would be a good idea IMO.

Todd W. likes this.
  17. H1532183300912
    Cupcake Dec 1, 2018

18. H1532183300912
    Cupcake Dec 1, 2018

19. IRSHAD.ABDULLAH
    Honeycomb Dec 1, 2018

IRSHAD.ABDULLAH , Dec 1, 2018 :
    Recently I bought Mi TV 32inch 4C Pro, it states itself an Android smart TV but it actually isn't completely Android TV, let me state here some of the cons.
    Firstly, the PLAY STORE of Android TV doesn't have all the streaming apps as in Play Store of Android mobiles. And if somehow an app is installed it doesn't work.
    Secondly, the built-in streaming apps of Mi's Patchwall are most of them paid services, every app asks for subscription hence one cannot enjoy truly Android experience and one has to resort to make a connection of cable TV or of Satellite Dish TV.
    And thirdly the most annoying and irritating is typing with the given remote.

I hope OnePlus can come with most amazing and real life solutions to the woes of existing Android TVs and Smart TVs.

Todd W. likes this.
  20. soare_body
    Froyo Dec 1, 2018

soare_body , Dec 1, 2018 :
    From my point of view, a truly smart TV should have Google assistant or better yet, an Alexa built in and turn on as you say the assistant's name. It should have all other functionality of an AI assistant to control other smart things around the house. Integrated Android OS would be nice and, moreover, all TV functions should be controllable by voice like "Assistant, turn the brightness down.". You should really try it! All the best to you and I'm waiting for the next OnePlus product, whatever it may be [e]270c[/e]️