TV Talk Series: Week 3 – What is a truly “Smart” TV?

1. H1532183300912
    Cupcake Dec 2, 2018

H1532183300912 , Dec 2, 2018 :
    120hz refresh rate n built in google home (voice control) & chromecast n remote like apple tv remote that have trackpad on remote

2. Stevenwashere
    Cupcake Dec 2, 2018

Stevenwashere , Dec 2, 2018 :
    the most seem less experience has been the Chromecast so far. the reason it's better than Android TV is only because it can handle what it says it can handle. so many Android TV's are under powered. too little ram. too little storage. and not all apps working for some reason despite working on Android in general. also updates and just software support in general.

to be honest you don't need to make a full tv. just an Android TV box. with 3 or 4 gigs of RAM. at least 32 gigs of storage. SD card or USB 3.0 support. and a relatively new Qualcomm SOC . people will be playing games watching movies and just about everything on it.

Todd W. likes this.
  3. Todd W.
    TV Product Marketing Staff Member Dec 3, 2018

Todd W. , Dec 3, 2018 :
    Great inputs! Thank you for the details from your market, and you did your own research!! We find the same issue that people are getting away from regular TVs and turn to mobile phone, tablet and other things. However, we also see there is a lot to improve on "Smart TV" to make it more than a bigger screen.

Drewbikscube likes this.
  4. KekieM
    Froyo Dec 3, 2018

KekieM , Dec 3, 2018 :
    A TV should be as stupid as possible. A good TV is a fantastic screen with up-to-date connections. no wifi, no apps.

The smart part should be in a separate box that can be upgraded within a year or two without replacing the TV.

TibiTibi likes this.
  5. אייל קוץ
    Cupcake Dec 3, 2018

אייל קוץ , Dec 3, 2018 :
    oxygen os is the best because it takes stock Android and adds to it only if it actually helps the user.

you should do the same thing for your T.Vs but with Android t.v.
    on top of that you should add great always on microphone and speakers so it can function as a smart speaker/display (as well as sound well in general)
    you should also add a built-in router (you can hide the antenas behind the screen so you can make them as clunky as you wish and make people put their routers in a centric location in the house)

EDIT: please make the smart part replaceable (we won't change t.v every 3 years)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018

Todd W. likes this.
  6. ktappana1
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2018

ktappana1 , Dec 4, 2018 :
    I thing Android TV with built in apps like prime video and music is important and a smooth interface that's easy to use while also being stutter free. I also think there should be specific features for us OnePlus users like extra features and whatnot.

7. Drewbikscube
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Dec 5, 2018

Drewbikscube , Dec 5, 2018 :
    I agree that Smart TV's should be more than just a big screen and there's certainly improvements that would be well received when it comes to smart TV OS's etc.. I'm hopeful OnePlus will deliver something that's unique and something that stands out in comparison to the current market offerings. I just think it's an incredibly difficult market to get into at this point for anyone not just OnePlus, (mainly speaking about here in the US), unless OnePlus is truly going to offer something the rest of the competition can't. Whatever it is, it'll certainly have to have that WOW factor for many of us here in the states and hopefully it's at a great price point like the rest of OnePlus's offerings. Otherwise I really don't think it'll be a success here in the US. Our current market for ALL smart things, not just TV's right now is heavily flooded with too many options. Many of these options are pretty solid and do what most are looking for like a ChromeCast, AppleTV, Fire Stick, etc.. I look forward to what OnePlus has to share and again I'm rooting for you, just a bit skeptical regarding this particular market choice OnePlus has chosen to dive into given all of the options we already have today.

buntycubal and Todd W. like this.
  8. Todd W.
    TV Product Marketing Staff Member Dec 5, 2018

Todd W. , Dec 5, 2018 :
    Hi, pls make sure your LG TV supports CAST; in your 6T phone, you can find "Cast" in setting manu-->Bluetooth&Device Connection -->Connection Prefernces.
    Hope it helps, if not, i will get technical team to support you.

9. Plenkske
    Dutch POC Assistant Head Moderator Dec 5, 2018

Plenkske , Dec 5, 2018 :
    Sometimes in TVs this is a problem. They can support CAST, but not the native version. They changed something so it cannot be used by all devices inside the "cast setting" of android.

10. Todd W.
    TV Product Marketing Staff Member Dec 6, 2018

Todd W. , Dec 6, 2018 :
    What are the favourite TV steam apps in UK?

11. Vignesh_chandz
    Honeycomb Dec 6, 2018

Vignesh_chandz , Dec 6, 2018 :
    Samsung TV's tend to give us more , but in reality they are very limited. sluggish most of the times. But have to admit color accuracy is on point , but the software on it is too heavy just like their phones.
    LG TV's, actually gives us a better perspective of software in a Television , one thing which stands out is is gesture control of the cursor , with motion control. WebOs is on point with a better software clarification but lack the necessary price and the hardware.
    Mi TV's are awful to look and their so called "Android software" feels so outdated. They don't even support Netflix and Prime video. this is so Hard!

A Smart TV is truly Smart , only when it follows the acclaimed
    software and hardware integration governing us the snap speed of a finger. When we can unlock the speed in a 6.4 inch screens in our hands being more fluid with software updates , I personally feel 55 inches screen deserve more.
    Storage was a main concern in all the smart TV present today. it has very limited Ram and on board storage which keeps us exploring from the limits of a true visual experience.

Smart TV 's , should adapt themselves to the shows we watch , adapting and the audio and visual experience to the next level. unlike Samsung and LG TV's , the rest of the TV really suck in Audio systems.
    Assistants lack the type with keyboards or phones.
    it's so much painful to open YouTube on a present smart TV and type the entire line using the remote which is so frustrating. it's better to type with a phone.
    Everything I mentioned above is a symptom of half baked products.
    I really wish OnePlus TV solves all the problems , giving us the best experience just like their phones did. Support the latest apps , latest extensions and Yess Netflix and Prime video. Dolby sound.
    thanks ya. @Todd W.

buntycubal and Todd W. like this.
  12. brian.sedore
    Honeycomb Dec 7, 2018

brian.sedore , Dec 7, 2018 :
    Best thing that I have done was get a normal TV, which was cheaper than "smart TVs", and but a $40 Chromecast that allows pretty much everything that a smart TV could do. Maybe there are more functions that super expensive TVs could do, but how much do they really add for the extra cost?

13. G_Arvind_Tk_jdms
    Cupcake Dec 8, 2018

G_Arvind_Tk_jdms , Dec 8, 2018 :
    I am waiting for One Plus TV and waiting to see it with true HDR of DOLBY VISION WITH Dolby Atmos audio and should have dled backlight with IPS PANEL FOR BUDGET FRIENDLY AND HAVE LATEST ANDROID with oxygen OS AND WITH 4GB RAM AND 32 GB STORAGE AND CONNECT WITH EVERYTHING.
    and price should be below ₹50000 rupees and have 3 years warranty

14. elanglois
    Lollipop Dec 10, 2018

elanglois , Dec 10, 2018 :
    I think CastOS, like a Smart Display uses might be a good alternative, but only if a list of app shortcuts were added. I don't need to read my email or surf the web on my TV, and if I did, I can just cast my phone and get a better experience anyway

buntycubal likes this.
  15. elanglois
    Lollipop Dec 10, 2018

IPS? Hell NO! Contrast sucks. VA please

16. elanglois
    Lollipop Dec 10, 2018

Agreed! Add a Google Home mini and you can just tellbit what you want to watch, no remote or phone needed

17. elanglois
    Lollipop Dec 10, 2018

There are multiple standards for different things

You speak of "Cast" like its one thing and you can't judge one by the other

18. elanglois
    Lollipop Dec 10, 2018

Why 120? there is no content that is at 120 hertz except maybe games

19. elanglois
    Lollipop Dec 10, 2018

90Hz? Your content is 60Hz. If you have 60Hz refresh, each screen is shown once. If you have 120Hz refresh, each frame will be shown twice ... which is the same effect as keeping a 60Hz display and changing the backlight off and on! Thats how virtual refresh rates work.

90Hz???? You want to show one frame, then 2 frames, then 1 ... motion will be choppy and could cause seizures. I don't know why people think that more is better. Your content won't go above 60 anyway. SMH. An non integer multiple is just crazy, and native refresh rates above 60 are only for active shutter glasses used for 3D

buntycubal likes this.
  20. elanglois
    Lollipop Dec 10, 2018

I actually do this. I get home and say, "OK Google, I'm home" and lights change, the TV comes on and switches to Haystack News, etc. I can say "Toggle Bright Mode" and it will switch between the dimmer mode I use for TV and the brighter one with more contrast that I use for movies.

I can even say "enhance the audio" and "eject the disk", etc

buntycubal likes this.