UK and Indian price difference foreign imports

1. Lukeet
    Froyo May 16, 2019

Lukeet , May 16, 2019 :
    is it a good idea to order a OnePlus 7 using an Indian VPN? I wouldn't bother but the price difference is enormous base model OnePlus 7 is £499 in UK(which I thought was a good price untill I saw the Indian price cut from the 6t) the 7 in India cost 32,999 rupees that's £366. now my question is could you by a OnePlus 7 through the Indian site using a VPN considering OnePlus phones are region unlocked all with the same model number and bands it shouldn't cause problems. are there any reasons not to do this?

animewolf21 likes this.
  2. superplus
    English POC Assistant Head Moderator May 16, 2019

superplus , May 16, 2019 :
    It's not about VPN or not; when you go to a different website than your IP is from they will just make you aware you're visiting the store of a different country and whether you are sure you want to proceed. It is rather about all of the following:
    - If you order from OnePlus India, you will need to provide an Indian postal address. They are not going to ship it to you in the UK for free of course. Let's say you have a friend who lives there, they will still need to forward it to you, and I imagine you will want to have the parcel well insured, lest something happens to it, so I imagine that won't be cheap, but I suppose it might still be less than £133. If you don't have anyone there though, you'll need to use a mail forwarding service. It might be worth spending quite a bit on it to make sure you have a reliable one that doesn't just make off with your product. But then you're not there yet, next:
    - As soon as your parcel arrives in the UK, you will have to pay the import taxes and duties on it. If you order from OnePlus UK, all this has been taken care of already. And by now it's likely that your overall costs have already exceeded the UK price. But there's still more:
    - Obviously you hope that nothing will happen or be wrong with your device, but in case there is and you want to avail yourself of the warranty, for any repairs you would probably need to visit an Indian service center or you will need to pay for the shipping costs to and from India, at least that's what I've seen across the forums from people who bought devices in other countries and e.g. tried to get theirs repaired while on holiday or after having moved to another country.
    - In addition to this, I think it is also the case that you will get just one year warranty in India, as opposed to, I believe, two years in the UK.
    - Then there's some further minor things like: you might receive a charger with an Indian plug. If you already have a charger that would be compatible with the fast charging technology of the OnePlus 7, then this might not be a huge issue to you, but otherwise it's again something worth to consider. Buying a separate UK charger plug will again add quite some costs, especially if you don't reach the free shipping threshold.

Now let's say you are actually going on holiday there or have a friend or family member from there coming to visit. All of the latter four points will still apply. Sure, you can take your chances and go through the "nothing to declare" line at customs, and maybe no one will stop to search you, but for repairs you might still be told to resolve the situation in India.

In the end it's all up to you. If you thought the price was fair, don't worry about India and go for it. If now you are put off, don't go for it. If you want to take your risks going the India route, then by all means, please do, but be aware of all of the above, especially of the fact that you might not be able to exercise any warranty rights and that they will be reduced, compared to what you would get here, so be sure that you are happy to bear the consequences of any of these risks yourself.

puccellino, SoniaB, the_o2 and 3 others like this.
  3. Tobikage
    Nougat May 16, 2019

ghostofcain and Lukeet like this.
  4. Tobikage
    Nougat May 16, 2019

Tobikage , May 16, 2019 :
    Don't tell me you typed that out you robot ! :p

Cheetosdust, superplus and Lukeet like this.
  5. Lukeet
    Froyo May 16, 2019

Lukeet , May 16, 2019 :
    you're right I was under the impression that OnePlus offered international warranty due to all there devices having the same model number regardless of region but looking it up they only offer domestic so it would be better to buy it from the UK. Still makes me wonder how last the year the rupee price was only a £20 difference. how did they manage to drop the price so significantly from the 6t for the Indian market?

superplus likes this.
  6. Lukeet
    Froyo May 16, 2019

Lukeet , May 16, 2019 :
    lol

7. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow May 16, 2019

ghostofcain , May 16, 2019 :
    You been under a rock this last year, have you seen what Brexit has done to the £? And the competition in India is much more intense than here in the UK.

TheIT_Technician likes this.
  8. Lukeet
    Froyo May 16, 2019

Lukeet , May 16, 2019 :
    Brexit has absolutely nothing to do with it or the state of the £, the OnePlus 7 is releasing at exactly the same price as the 6t. I'm just wondering how the managed to cut the 7 price so drastically for the Indian market. Brexits such an easy excuse for everything...

ironass likes this.
  9. superplus
    English POC Assistant Head Moderator May 16, 2019

superplus , May 16, 2019 :
    don't tell me I could have copied + pasted it from somewhere :( I should indeed have just made it as succinct as your post :D

no idea, it's a completely different market, maybe they're trying a promotional stunt with the OnePlus 7 to secure a(n even) bigger market share there, we can but speculate really, don't think there's ever going to be a forum post or tweet by Carl about the matter :rolleyes:

Tobikage, Cheetosdust and Lukeet like this.
  10. Lukeet
    Froyo May 16, 2019

Lukeet , May 16, 2019 :
    you're right the Indian budget market is much more competitive tbf maybe they'd price themselves out of competition if they went with the UK price in India?

11. Captain tan
    Cupcake May 17, 2019

Captain tan , May 17, 2019 :
    About price cuts , I think price difference might be justified since , UK model come with X50 chip for 5g , where as I am not sure whether Indian market has the the same chip or cheaper chip ?

12. Gav_W86
    Starting Point Expert May 20, 2019

Gav_W86 , May 20, 2019 :
    [​IMG]
    Notice the drop on Brexit result day....

puccellino likes this.