UK/Europe 4G/LTE Incompatibility

1. mamualra
    Froyo Apr 11, 2014

mamualra , Apr 11, 2014 :
    I was really looking forward to buying the oneplus one phone, however I came across a few threads which indicate that 4G/LTE connectivity may be limited in UK/Europe.

From what I understand, the phone will not be capable of connecting to band 20 or the 800mhz spectrum which is commonly used by UK/European carriers to provide 4G/LTE data speeds, which means we won't have access to the faster data speeds available on certain networks.

Is there any chance that band 20 may be supported on launch? I know that the Find 7 does.

It's a shame really, as I was certain that I was going to buy this phone, but now I am having to rethink whether I can live without 4G/LTE speeds... I may still end up with a OPO, but if it supported band 20, it would have definitely made my decision a lot easier.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014

arturr, tEf0o, Oyathnkso and 10 others like this.
  2. Adam Krisko
    NA Community Consultant Staff Member Apr 11, 2014

Adam Krisko , Apr 11, 2014 :
    The final specs have not been announced yet, and like in the past, things might change. But as of now it's not supported. You can find all the up to date specs in my thread in my sig.

3. kingcedz
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 11, 2014

kingcedz , Apr 11, 2014 :
    couldn't agree more.

As mentioned in the main feature thread, 1+1 will HAVE to have band 20 to be successful in the U.K. What's the point of having CyanogenMod support for 2yrs but can not get on LTE. I think its a bit silly to have left band 20 out. It doesn't make any sense at all!

There are too many choices already, without Band 20 LTE it's simply a no go.

Oyathnkso, ravi28, oscarvanl and 3 others like this.
  4. tunde
    Cupcake Apr 11, 2014

5. kingcedz

quite opposite, you gotta make the noise and let them know what mistakes they are making.

I mean is there even anyone from OnePlus is based in Europe/UK at all to even have an idea of how much of a market they are missing out by omitting Band 20.

6. lvpl
    Honeycomb Apr 11, 2014

lvpl , Apr 11, 2014 :
    I support you ! ;)

In fact, the lack of Band 20 is a problem of software or hardware ? If it's only a problem of software, CyanogenMod can fix it by an update, right ? :rolleyes:

However, if it's a problem of hardware, unfortunately, it's too late for us (EUROPE) ! :(

7. kingcedz

It's gotta be hardware related, they need the correct radio for it basically.
    I don't think its too late for them to change hardware, but people should let them know that THEY NEED TO INCLUDE BAND 20!

Codagon and jbuster like this.
  8. fishwarp
    Donut Apr 11, 2014

fishwarp , Apr 11, 2014 :
    Well it would certainly be helpful to have band 20 supported. A number of networks would be locked out without it and coverage on the others would be impacted. I'd be wanting to use the Three network due to the unlimited data SIMS , and they use band 20.

9. blueboy1971
    Donut Apr 11, 2014

blueboy1971 , Apr 11, 2014 :
    We really need an official answer as to why band 20 is not supported and if it will or will not be possible soon.I don't believe for one minute that the team building the phone do not have the stats for all networks and bands across the world so they must have made a decision based on something.

If things are set then its a shame because i will be looking back at the Find 7. If we get a change of heart before release date then the 1+1 gets my money.

DroidWalker, AlexM and Noel like this.
  10. Wouter
    Froyo Apr 11, 2014

Wouter , Apr 11, 2014 :
    I sure hope 20 will be supported. The Netherlands mainly works on that band

sapedro and Noel like this.
  11. Rohit D
    Gingerbread Apr 11, 2014

Rohit D , Apr 11, 2014 :
    oh thanks for this thread. It will be a big no no if they can't support all the 4G bands in UK. :-(

Noel likes this.
  12. Wouter
    Froyo Apr 11, 2014

tapamus likes this.
  13. Nuno

Nuno , Apr 11, 2014 :
    @Carl In Portugal we have the same problem since 20 is widely used, mainly outside cities.

sapedro, José Saldanha and Noel like this.
  14. Rohit D
    Gingerbread Apr 11, 2014

Rohit D , Apr 11, 2014 :
    I was all set for buying this phone and suddenly this LTE coverage made me nervous and more anxious....

Come on OP, don't let us settle for some other phone. 4G support and SD card is all we ask for UK :)

José Saldanha and Noel like this.
  15. RichJo86
    Gingerbread Apr 11, 2014

José Saldanha likes this.
  16. kingcedz

For me, this is the first make-it or break-it moment for OnePlus.

Do a simple search on the forum, many people have asked for Band 20, clearly there is a need for that. Now it's really up to OnePlus if they are going to listen to the potential users and do something about it.

There are many things they can potentially implement to solve this issue: they can change the LTE radio hardware to include all, or less ideally (but would probably still be acceptable) they can release different versions of One that include different LTE frequencies, etc. So there really isn't much excuse here.

And please do not suggest people to change network to get around OnePlus' lack of feature. people choose various network for their own specific reasons, some might be coverage related, some might be customer services related. In the case of U.K., EE is just rubbish in terms of service in my view. I would be happily continue using my HTC One or Nexus 5 and stay on Giffgaff than switching to EE just so that I can use 1+1.

This lack of band 20 issue is really a small snapshot of what they should prepare to face. They must know that they also have the FDD LTE/TDD LTE issue at hand (especially given OnePlus is China based). Surely, they must have a plan in mind if they want to be truly different from other brands.

Sometimes it's not always about having the fastest CPU or biggest memory, it's about listen to what people actually want and will be useful - what's the point of having the fastest processor in the world but stuck on 3G speed?

If they can't address this Band 20 issue properly, I think they should probably consider changing their "Never Settle" motto straight away.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014

foongming, Oyathnkso, nex3r and 14 others like this.
  17. pjm1891

pjm1891 , Apr 11, 2014 :
    Same problem over here in Sweden some carriers use band 20. Without support for it I'm not sure I will be buying the OPO. Can't go back to 3G once your used to 4G.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014

18. Londinium
    Donut Apr 11, 2014

Londinium , Apr 11, 2014 :
    I agree. OPO must be aware of the issue by now, and would be nice to hear an official word from them. I certainly not going to buy out my 2year contract with O2 simply to change phone.

AlexM and Noel like this.
  19. Noel
    Jelly Bean Apr 11, 2014

Noel , Apr 11, 2014 :
    I have been asking this question for weeks with no answer from op it affects quite a few countries and I can't recommend my friends to buy it unless it has band 20 most providers here in Ireland use band 20

AlexM and Rohit D like this.
  20. Londinium
    Donut Apr 11, 2014

Londinium , Apr 11, 2014 :
    Maybe they should just settle on this one occasion....