UK/Europe 4G/LTE Incompatibility

1. demob
    Cupcake Apr 12, 2014

demob , Apr 12, 2014 :
    Ahhh this is real disappointing, I had basically decided to buy this phone without even seeing it but if there is no band 20 support than no way dudes. I almost can't believe a company that seemed so switched on and in tune with what a tech-savvy consumer would want would even consider releasing a phone with crippled 4G/LTE capability.. It doesn't make any sense.

If I can't use this phone with Giff Gaff which is on the O2 network then I can't buy the phone, it's as simple as that. I think the majority of potential OPO buyers are in the same category.. The kind of people who find the GS5 unappealing also find EE and their ripoff deals and poor service totally unattractive. You will lose almost all giff gaff customers, a HUGE overlap with your target market in the UK. I and everyone else I know on the network would rather stay on giff gaff and get another phone, one with FULL 4G capability (something not hard to provide! Every other major 2014 phone does this?) I guess I'll get a Z2 or wait for G3 or Nexus 6. It's a shame cos I like everything I've heard about this phone and this company.. But sorry guys a weird omission like leaving out something as basic as Band 20 support kind of makes me doubt all the other promises as well, it's kind of unforgivable from a tech standpoint and appears to directly contradict your "Never Settle" motto and best of the best brand styling. Disappointing.

What was the rationale for leaving out Band 20 capability? Costs? Bizarre cos its absence is going to lead to a significant reduction in sales. For a company that seems eager and focused on making a massively positive first impression releasing a phone with poor LTE functionality is rather the boner move. The processor, camera, battery, etc is all meaningless if the phone is stuck on 3G. What is this, 2009 or wha? Unless the phone can hover alongside me, laser people on command, scratch my back and give me a massage, there's no way I'm signing up to a crappy network to accommodate its out of date LTE limitations. Anyway I hope this all a misunderstanding.. If not best of luck with marketing this device and better luck next time

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014

Rianames, Noel and GavDroid like this.
  2. fishwarp
    Donut Apr 12, 2014

fishwarp , Apr 12, 2014 :
    It would be great to have an official response to this thread, there are obviously many anxious perspective buyers.

May I Taste likes this.
  3. riffraff81
    KitKat Apr 12, 2014

riffraff81 , Apr 12, 2014 :
    you may have answered your own question.

AlexM likes this.
  4. plikmuny
    Honeycomb Apr 12, 2014

plikmuny , Apr 12, 2014 :
    Guys if they are planning on releasing OPO in European countries also, I am sure that they will not make mistake regarding this. Europe is very potential market for any smart phone market.
    Let's wait till 23rd of this month. I am quite confident that they will not disappoint us, instead they may give surprises !

AlexM and Noel like this.
  5. ll_jin28
    Froyo Apr 12, 2014

6. RichJo86
    Gingerbread Apr 12, 2014

RichJo86 , Apr 12, 2014 :
    Before we all jump to conclusions whithout a definitive official answer, the Qualcomm 801 has the, option, Gobi 4G LTE World Mode. If the Qualcomm is able to support all bands what could be the reason not to support all bands?
    My provider Simyo (KPN) is also using band 20 (800MHz). It would be a big let down to find out it's not supported. Hopefully OnePlus is able to sqeeze the requested band in.

May I Taste, AlexM and fishwarp like this.
  7. kingcedz
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 12, 2014

kingcedz , Apr 12, 2014 :
    There has been apparently official responses and their answers has been big fat NO so far.

I guess that's why many of us who are affected by this silly decision have been expressing our views on this thread to try to bring it to their attention.

Below is a link from a German Website that apparently had confirmation from OPO that 800MHz channel/LTE Band 20 will not be supported:
    http://www.areamobile.de/news/26950-oneplus-one-in-deutschland-nicht-voll-einsatzfaehig

Google Translate it has the following quotes "...The OnePlus One is not supported all three frequency ranges used in Germany for the high-speed data standard LTE (Long Term Evolution). This was confirmed by a spokeswoman for the Chinese start-ups on request from Area Mobile..."

I suggest everyone keep posting on this topic. They ll only really know how big the mistake is if people tell them so.

8. Darren
    Froyo Apr 12, 2014

Darren , Apr 12, 2014 :
    Well if that so I will not be getting one+ phone and I think many Uk and Europeans will feel the same way as me.There are many choices for phones these day from other manufacturers with full 4g compatibility.I hope I am wrong and they will support band 20.

billbutchart and fishwarp like this.
  9. Rodjeur
    Gingerbread Apr 12, 2014

Rodjeur , Apr 12, 2014 :
    That could be a no go for me witk lack offm lte bandwith.....that couldnt bring the best expérience user in that case :(

fishwarp likes this.
  10. Vinkel
    Jelly Bean Apr 12, 2014

Vinkel , Apr 12, 2014 :
    There will be 9 Band LTE, and Band 20 is not one of them. Official statement from the AMAA on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...rl_and_david_from_oneplus_tech_ask_us/cfuplun

I really don't understand why people keep asking the same questions, when so many have been answered here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ag4sg3qiGhLtdFp3THVsUkcyS1M3cGhNMzBvWVdzU1E

Luckily the whole Band 20 issue is not a problem for me here in Denmark as only one carrier use the 800MHz frequency but not limited to that.

11. yoplaboum
    Eclair Apr 12, 2014

yoplaboum , Apr 12, 2014 :
    Idem for me

12. lvpl
    Honeycomb Apr 12, 2014

lvpl , Apr 12, 2014 :
    This problem of Band 20 concerns a lot of european countries that OnePlus has to fix quickly.
    I agree it's not a problem for you in Denmark and i'm glad to hear that but can you imagine that you can't use your smartphone in another european countries when you will be in vacation for instance UK, France, Germany..., what a pity, right ? ;)

13. volteon
    Lollipop Apr 12, 2014

Vinkel likes this.
  14. Vinkel
    Jelly Bean Apr 12, 2014

Vinkel , Apr 12, 2014 :
    I can see and understand that people are concerned, I just don't see why people can't search the forum and read the information already been given to them. :-/

As to the whole vacation question, I wouldn't use data outside my own country, since it is too expensive, and would only use wifi, and if I would get a temporary local payg card I would do with HSDPA(3G) if the only LTE Band would be 20. ;-)

OTT likes this.
  15. OneOver Zero

OneOver Zero , Apr 12, 2014 :
    [​IMG]
    If this is true, I can't settle on this. No compromises, right? These were your words. I'm still waiting and hopefully this was a mistake of the answering agent.

16. kingcedz

kingcedz , Apr 12, 2014 :
    People are really not asking the same questions, people are telling them they need to support band 20 for it to be useful in most of Europe/UK.

Its good for you that Denmark is not affected, but sadly, as much as the people of Denmark would like to think so, Denmark doesnt quite rule Europe yet LOL :)

adeng and Vinkel like this.
  17. Martin Z
    Honeycomb Apr 12, 2014

Martin Z , Apr 12, 2014 :
    Can't you guys switch provider? In the Netherlands band20 is the most used but not the only option fortunately. o_O

My guess is that Oneplus has to sell x-million phones just to break even, making three different versions (for all the different bands) means they have to sell WAY more phones... Is that still economically feasible for a start up?

If band20 is not implemented it's going to be true hell trying to get additional hardware in there from this point on, if possible at all.

True global LTE is not happening before the 805 IF combined with the gobi9x35 chipset modem and the WTR3925 RF transceiver chip. The 801 has it all build in and just isn't up for the task.

- Even Oneplus can't transform the now into the future -

801805_3.jpg

18. Rianames
    Gingerbread Apr 12, 2014

Rianames , Apr 12, 2014 :
    I was so excited about this Phone and jumped in the air of joy when i found out they will be releasing in the Netherlands but....now I read the do not support the most used 20 band (actually it is the only used band in the Netherlands save for some few high traffic spots where the Dutch carriers use 2 other bands.

I cannot not understand why a company, releasing in Europe, do not properly do their research otherwise they would have found out the one band used the most in quite a few countries in Europe for 4G is the 800 mhz band.
    Sadly this will make me switch to the Find7, apparantly OPPO have some better informed staff members who know what it takes to be succesful in Europe.

This ruined my day, actually, if you oversee such a big technicallity I am starting to wonder what else might pop up.....

billbutchart likes this.
  19. billbutchart
    Donut Apr 12, 2014

billbutchart , Apr 12, 2014 :
    If we take it that Band 20 is NOT supported (current status) then my questions are

What is the business logic / technical issue / product financials or other to not incorporating Band 20 ?

Perhaps we can help you to help us !?!

May I Taste likes this.
  20. OTT
    Froyo Apr 12, 2014

OTT , Apr 12, 2014 :
    In Italy are covered bands 800/1800/2600 MHz (n° 20-3-7).

The main (and best) Italian carrier uses all three of them, so I think we have no problem here.

Also, I totally agree with Vinkel: I absolutely can live without LTE outside my country, not only because it's very expensive but also because unless you're planning to live abroad for weeks / months there is really no need for it.

Please be realistic: our life does not depend on a ultrafast internet mobile connection. At least not mine.

Of course if in your own country there are no alternatives to the band 20 (or these are not feasible for economic and / or quality of service reasons) then it's another matter and the problem is serious : sadly you need to look elsewhere :(

Vinkel likes this.