Camera Ultra-wide angle lens shots out of focus

1. Cichy3000
    Cupcake May 23, 2020

Cichy3000 , May 23, 2020 :
    Hi all :)
    I've recently bought OnePlus 7T - as it supposed to be a real beast in elegance box.
    It's really great phone - performance is fantastic - display is fabulous.
    In general I'm satisfied. But I've got issue with focusing of ultra-wide angle lens, it's very annoying - with stills and videos.

What I did:
    1. Cleaned the Camera cache / data
    2. Cleaned lenses (absolutly no dirt)
    3. Removed bumper case (I've read that some of You had problems with focusing when a bumper was installed)
    4. No camera lens protection installed
    5. Macro Mode turned off.
    6. Latest global software

The video presenting problems with focusing on door (OneDrive link):
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aln9kKr1fRzT0CDubGm0nX9n96tc

It's only sample - but one of many (with many other scenes)

And same applies to stills :( catching photo with appropriate focus length is very hard.

In conclusion: it's very tough to rely on ultra-wide angle lens as it's having most of the time big problems with focusing.

I'd be really greatful for any help, any ideas what to do next ?

Best regards,
    Adam C

PS. sorry for the mess on balcony, and many thanks to my Doggy `Pixel` for assist :)

2. Roger.T
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 23, 2020

Roger.T , via OnePlus 7T , May 23, 2020 :
    How should an autofocus focus on a smooth, reflective surface?

To understand...
    The phase auto focus needs a certain amount of light and a minimum of structure or contrast to work..
    If the conditions are not met, he will keep looking for focus..
    Glass and reflective surfaces are the main problems.

And for stills, you can always set the focus point manually where you want it...[e]1f609[/e]

I hope that helps you understand it better...

3. NumberSix
    Honeycomb May 24, 2020

NumberSix , May 24, 2020 :
    Around 30% of the photos i take with the ultra wide lens are out of focus for absolutely no reason really given it is in the main used for landscapes and buildings the AF should default to infinity and not mess around hunting for focus on something that isn't near enough to matter.

Cichy3000 likes this.

5. H1592222388554
    Cupcake Jun 15, 2020

Cichy3000 likes this.
  6. NumberSix
    Honeycomb Jun 15, 2020

NumberSix , Jun 15, 2020 :
    Mine seems to be doing it more and more for some reason, maybe i am just using the camera more i don't know. it is rather annoying though i know that.

7. Cichy3000
    Cupcake Jun 18, 2020

Cichy3000 , Jun 18, 2020 :
    I can not agree with you. Evidently, the programmers focused on working at a wide angle in macro mode (despite the forced option of normal operation - no macro mode preference). The competition does it better - see Samsung / Huawei - the default value of the minimum focusing point is not 15-30cm (hand / table in front of the lens) but 1-2m. Simple.

8. Cichy3000
    Cupcake Jun 18, 2020

Cichy3000 , Jun 18, 2020 :
    only in pro-mode - setting infinity "point" of focus - but it is not comfortable - switch to pro, then go to AF settings, set infinity / adjust AF... oups... I just lost an important moment in my child's life ...

it should be sth like point and shoot - get good / acceptable image - it's not dslr to adjust, set, "think" about shot.

9. NumberSix
    Honeycomb Jun 19, 2020

NumberSix , Jun 19, 2020 :
    And if it is unable to obtain a focus lock it should assume the subject is further away than the maximum AF distance and just default to infinity and not to the minimum focus distance as is happening in this instance.

Cichy3000 likes this.
  10. Roger.T
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 19, 2020

Roger.T , via OnePlus Community App , Jun 19, 2020 :
    Read my post again and understand.....🙄

11. NumberSix
    Honeycomb Jun 20, 2020

NumberSix , Jun 20, 2020 :
    And your post makes absolutely no sense given the main use of the wide angle lens is for landscape photography where there effectively is nothing to focus on and where there is no option to select either infinity or the hyperfocal distance for the lens.

The AF is hunting focus and settling on 2 or 3 feet away which is no use whatsoever, this phenomenon is relatively new so it has been introduced via an update at some point.

12. NumberSix
    Honeycomb Jun 24, 2020

amangoel likes this.
  13. R1593526817928
    Cupcake Jun 30, 2020

R1593526817928 , Jun 30, 2020 :
    Hi, Sorry to hijack the post.
    I know camera app pro mode can take a still image in 'manual focus' with 'ultra-wide lens' but is there any third-party app support 'manual focus' with 'ultra-wide lens' for video?

Many thanks.