Unable to prevent the navigation bar from disappearing

1. ouyamaster Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 24, 2019

ouyamaster, Apr 24, 2019 :
    Ever since the pie 9.04 update my navigation bar stays hidden unless I swipe up. this is great when watching videos etc. However there is no button to unhide it. I wish there was a toggle to turn it on and off because sometimes I want to slide my finger over it to hybernate the phone. I don't have hide the navigation bar on in display settings. no matter whether I have hide the navigation bar on or off it hides anyway. is there a way to stop it from hiding when I don't want it to hide?

2. Waveform Modifier Lollipop Apr 24, 2019

Waveform Modifier, Apr 24, 2019 :
    Navigation bar is not in display settings.

3. ouyamaster Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 24, 2019

Waveform Modifier

Navigation bar is not in display settings.​

Ok I mean buttons but I still can't stop it from hiding. Hide the navigation bar is not on but it's still hiding.

4. Waveform Modifier Lollipop Apr 24, 2019

Some screenshots might help with identifying stuff and what phone are you on?

5. ouyamaster Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 24, 2019

I don't have hide the navigation bar checked
    1556139189823.jpg
    But it's hidden anyway
    1556139227518.jpg

I have to swipe up to the app drawer to see the navigation bar and use it
    1556139273456.jpg

even in this forum I have to swipe up in order to see the navigation bar

before
    1556139364643.jpg
    after

1556139384280.jpg

how can I toggle on and off whether the navigation bar hides itself or not?

6. Waveform Modifier Lollipop Apr 24, 2019

Again. What phone are you using?

7. ouyamaster Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 24, 2019

one plus 5T

8. ouyamaster Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 24, 2019

9. Waveform Modifier Lollipop Apr 24, 2019

I just tried to replicate what you are claiming, I can't. But from looking at your screenshots, the nav bar seems to be there (sort of). Have you tried changing themes by any chance?

10. ouyamaster Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 24, 2019

Waveform Modifier

I just tried to replicate what you are claiming, I can't. But from looking at your screenshots, the nav bar seems to be there (sort of). Have you tried changing themes by any chance?

No I've just dirty flashed every update since Oreo for this phone. I have tried installing the full screen app and when it looked like it wasn't working I uninstalled it. I just noticed recently that I can't unhide the navigation bar anymore. I used full ROMs because I'm rooted and I use Exkernel. I dirty flash with twrp. the disappearing nav bar can be worked around it's just a little annoying that I can't stop it from disappearing.

11. Waveform Modifier Lollipop Apr 24, 2019

Maybe it's worth a full backup and do a full clean flash. Might clear up some of these issues.

12. ouyamaster Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 24, 2019

Waveform Modifier

Maybe it's worth a full backup and do a full clean flash. Might clear up some of these issues.

I've had a perfect track record of dirty flashing and I'm in the middle of a move so that is not an option right now.
    Although this is annoying it is not impossible to wok around. That would just waste to much time right now. If the next update doesn't it fix it I can always attempt it after that. my update was broken before I reached the second version of pie and it just took finding the right recovery to use. I'm a strong believer that annoyances that do not prevent me from working are better to work around until I find a fix then to waste time wiping and reinstalling everything. It might seem that in some weird way my home screen is stuck in immersive mode.

13. Waveform Modifier Lollipop Apr 24, 2019

Since you are on a 5T, why don't try using the Nav gestures? Or you just don't like it? (I do get it, it's sometimes it's just not for everyone).

14. ouyamaster Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 24, 2019

Waveform Modifier

Since you are on a 5T, why don't try using the Nav gestures? Or you just don't like it? (I do get it, it's sometimes it's just not for everyone).​

Kind of it's very apple like and I've never really seen a benefit to using them. Thanks for your help though. I appreciate it.

Waveform Modifier likes this.
  15. stark2991_PL KitKat Apr 25, 2019

stark2991_PL, Apr 25, 2019 :
    So it's still disappearing after flashing a full ROM? Have you tried it with the stock kernel?
    Have you tried wiping the data? Make a Nandroid backup, do a wipe and see. You will restore data later.

16. ouyamaster Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 25, 2019

ouyamaster, Apr 25, 2019 :
    stark2991_PL

So it's still disappearing after flashing a full ROM? Have you tried it with the stock kernel?
    Have you tried wiping the data? Make a Nandroid backup, do a wipe and see. You will restore data later.

if this continues till the next update I might or experiment with the gestures. I just don't have time for it right now. Seems like they would do something like this to try to force people to use the gestures.also though more annoying I can swipe up and still get the navigation bar. So the trouble of reinstalling everything right now is just not worth it. it isn't even worth it to remove exkernel. I would imagine what's happening is it's as if hide the Navigation bar is checked when it really isn't. so it still appears when swiping up. it's more annoying than being able to turn it off but I honestly will not reformat my entire phone just for that right now. I can also swipe across the icons to put my phone to sleep even though I'm used to swiping across the navigation bar.

17. Mr_Cyrox KitKat Apr 25, 2019

Mr_Cyrox, Apr 25, 2019 :
    You shouldn't just assume OnePlus is doing this on purpose as you're the first one I personally see having this kind of issue...

stark2991_PL likes this.
  18. ouyamaster Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 25, 2019

Ok maybe I shouldn't blame them but I fixed it with this
    1556193918815.jpg

Now it looks like this
    1556193955362.jpg

really this
    1556194018225.jpg

Now since this app and fix saved me hours of time I'd like to recommend this app as a fix and I hope to help anyone else with this same issue.

19. stark2991_PL KitKat Apr 25, 2019

stark2991_PL, Apr 25, 2019 :
    I'm starting to think that you are just a bit lazy :) Nandroid backup takes 3 minutes, wiping data another 2, booting to the system and checking another 2, and restoring the backup takes 5. It's less than 15 minutes to make sure if it's a system bug or bug caused by your settings/apps and other stuff.
    I don't really think that the next update will fix this for you, because I also didn't see anyone else with this issue.

20. ouyamaster Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 25, 2019

stark2991_PL

I'm starting to think that you are just a bit lazy Nandroid backup takes 3 minutes, wiping data another 2, booting to the system and checking another 2, and restoring the backup takes 5. It's less than 15 minutes to make sure if it's a system bug or bug caused by your settings/apps and other stuff.
    I don't really think that the next update will fix this for you, because I also didn't see anyone else with this issue.

you don't necessarily know wiping this will fix it either. Did you read it's fixed. really fixing something means you found a solution. anyone can keep clean wiping. clean wiping also won't fix the autorotation not staying on or the 30 second time out. I use locale and autorotate for that. to many issues not resolved clean wipe or not. So no I have real life issues like moving right now and this app works great and I recommend it to anyone whose navigation bar is disappearing. If I was lazy as you say I wouldn't have bothered unlocking the bootloader or installing exkernel. I just don't waste time with pointless reinstalling when I have multiple apps fixing multiple issues already. another interesting thing is I taught myself to also use the gestures and they aren't as bad as I thought, and with this add on navigation bar I can enable gestures and keep a navigation bar enabled at the same time and get the best of both worlds. since there are some situations where a navigation bar is still better.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019