Unable to Understand OPO's Modus Operandi

1. Esthz25
    Jelly Bean Jun 26, 2014

Esthz25 , Jun 26, 2014 :
    Ok 30k a month! and only allotted 5K to international market.
    Doesn't OP need to come out with a definitive plan and production numbers - official Q1 numbers profits, quantity of units produced and sold and finc'ls, or are they willing to walk the thin line of Patience and Wait.
    Patience may be a virtue of Mankind but not Marketing.

2. zerozed
    Honeycomb Jun 26, 2014

zerozed , Jun 26, 2014 :
    First off, let's put the unvarnished truth out on the table--OnePlus has consistently failed to produce the OPO in any significant quantity for the international market. They have, however, produced tens of thousands for China--enough to fully stock resellers who are now marketing them online. So OnePlus had both inventory (to build the phones) as well manufacturing capacity--they just allocated all their resources to China.

What has occurred on the international side (besides ongoing scarcity)? Constant contests that require spamming multiple social media sites (Facebook, Google+, Instagram, & Twitter). And all the while they were holding these contests and stoking demand, they were neither manufacturing or selling phones for the international market in significant quantity. In fact, they were lying and being deceitful (numerous instances, but posting photos of a warehouse with boxes back in May stands out as particularly offensive).

Of course OnePlus always has an excuse as to why they haven't/can't/don't deliver product to the international customers they exploit to do marketing--but all the while they keep selling phones in China without issue.

Occam's Razor suggests that they never intended to sell the phone in significant quantities to international customers--obviously not in Q2, and probably not even in Q3. Instead, they will continue to trickle out a few hundred or even a few thousand each month--but I doubt it will be easy to purchase the OPO anytime in the next few months. So what has OnePlus gained? They've established their name in the Western press unlike any other Chinese manufacturer. Their name is now more recognizable in the Android community than Lenovo and all the other lesser Chinese handset makers. This was their real strategy as it pertains to international customers...create demand in order to leverage free advertising--establish your brand and then capitalize on it with a (future) product with higher profit margins.

Eistod and superchinook like this.
  3. superchinook
    Honeycomb Jun 26, 2014

superchinook , Jun 26, 2014 :
    I read your post & agree with it; the thing about production yield I'm just calling that straight BS. They sell the EXACT SAME hardware to Chinese customers with pre-orders, while the rest of international customers are stuck with invite systems. The only difference between international & chinese versions are the LTE bands plus some markings at the back cover for hardware. It's not the 64 GB memory as they have enough for the Chinese market with pre-order to boot (though that explanation is being thrown around in the forum).

Software is not the delay clearly, as CM 11s is good-to-go according to CM folks.

So if hardware is the issue, and I don't see any issues with OP releasing it to internal market with pre-orders, then the only logical argument is that they are artificially lowering the # of units available for external (i.e. international) market.

4. Esthz25
    Jelly Bean Jun 26, 2014

Esthz25 , Jun 26, 2014 :
    Buddy if: The phone was meant to be for enthusiasts and tech people - how is it going to be a Flagship Killer?
    Why are they marketing it that way right away - the 2 points don't offset each other.
    DO they intend to be a Flagship Killer in 2050? WIth the way Tech moves how is it possible they target the techies and then claim to be a Flagship Killer.

5. superchinook
    Honeycomb Jun 26, 2014

superchinook , Jun 26, 2014 :
    Glad to see another logical mind; and you beat me to it by just mere seconds/minutes :D

Esthz25 likes this.
  6. fallenelf86
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 26, 2014

fallenelf86 , Jun 26, 2014 :
    Again (notice how I'm saying this a lot? It's because you don't read the entirety of what I write), they had a plan with production numbers, but demand for the phone (something you choose to ignore despite me linking a graph showing just how much demand increased) forced them to completely change the plan they had.

They have no line to walk. They've accomplished their main goal of making a stellar device and making a name for themselves.

7. fallenelf86

I think this is what I've been saying, albeit over numerous posts.

8. Esthz25
    Jelly Bean Jun 26, 2014

Esthz25 , Jun 26, 2014 :
    BINGO: This is their Modus Operandi.
    This is causing more curiosity, more ppl flocking Social Media Sites and more ppl getting to know what is OPO and then when time comes they will release it in bulk so that thry are able to get a good share of the market internationally.

9. fallenelf86

I really can't keep arguing with you since you just kind of ignore things and interpret them in really odd ways. Just read @zerozed 's recent post, he summarizes most of the ideas I've written over our long debate.

10. Esthz25
    Jelly Bean Jun 26, 2014

Esthz25 , Jun 26, 2014 :
    Ok do your analysis: you never said anything he said you only defended OP.

First off, let's put the unvarnished truth out on the table--OnePlus has consistently failed to produce the OPO in any significant quantity for the international market. (You have never mentioned OP has failed - you have defended them throughout) They have, however, produced tens of thousands for China--enough to fully stock resellers who are now marketing them online (I never saw you mention there are re-sellers - and then markups and black market is a whole new issue). So OnePlus had both inventory (to build the phones) as well manufacturing capacity--they just allocated all their resources to China.
    What has occurred on the international side (besides ongoing scarcity)? Constant contests that require spamming multiple social media sites (Facebook, Google+, Instagram, & Twitter). And all the while they were holding these contests and stoking demand, they were neither manufacturing or selling phones for the international market in significant quantity. In fact, they were lying and being deceitful (numerous instances, but posting photos of a warehouse with boxes back in May stands out as particularly offensive).(Did you ever mention OP was lying throughout)

Of course OnePlus always has an excuse (you never said they made excuses)as to why they haven't/can't/don't deliver product to the international customers they exploit to do marketing--but all the while they keep selling phones in China without issue.

Occam's Razor suggests that they never intended to sell the phone in significant quantities to international customers--obviously not in Q2, and probably not even in Q3. Instead, they will continue to trickle out a few hundred or even a few thousand each month--but I doubt it will be easy to purchase the OPO anytime in the next few months. So what has OnePlus gained? They've established their name in the Western press unlike any other Chinese manufacturer. Their name is now more recognizable in the Android community than Lenovo and all the other lesser Chinese handset makers. This was their real strategy as it pertains to international customers...create demand in order to leverage free advertising--establish your brand and then capitalize on it with a (future) product with higher profit margins. - This is the answer I wanted - This is their REAL MODUS OPERANDI - did you now get that BRO)

YKK likes this.
  11. beany
    Jelly Bean Jun 26, 2014

beany , Jun 26, 2014 :
    Interesting - thanks for the link. I doubt whether there are that many invites, or phones out there. Though I have no evidence.

OPO is the sort of device that really appeals, I am more techie than many. But OPO do seem to do some strange things and therefore you wonder whether you are going to get a quality unit and if not will you ever get satisfaction from OP customer service. The main reason I hang around so much is trying to understand. If I'd gone and got a part time job instead of coming here I'd have paid for a G3 by now!

12. zerozed
    Honeycomb Jun 26, 2014

zerozed , Jun 26, 2014 :
    In addition to what I wrote above, I fully believe that OPPO and OP are the same company (despite their claims). They are certainly closely related as, at a minimum, both share the same owners. With that said, they might see the OnePlus One has primarily a lower-cost device meant for China while positioning OPPOs phones as their (higher priced) export brand. OPPO has enjoyed more than its fair share of exposure due to the OPO launch and I'm sure the Find7 sales have greatly benefited from the artificial scarcity of the OPO.

YKK, Esthz25 and Eistod like this.
  13. fallenelf86

I can't tell if you are really that ignorant, are trolling, or just don't read what I wrote.

Yes, I defended OP, I fail to see why that's a problem. I said they didn't get enough to the international market since they were focusing on the Chinese market. You're response to this was that you didn't want to hear about the Chinese market.

I don't think OP was lying since they sent everything in that picture out. Most probably went to their primary market, China.

You call reasoning excuses. That's just a small difference.

I disagree with the final assertion made by this post. I don't think they're going to mass release the OPO in the future. I think they're going to release a newer device instead within the next year.

14. Esthz25
    Jelly Bean Jun 26, 2014

Esthz25 , Jun 26, 2014 :
    DUDE now you are not made up of your words - you just wrote that you fully agree to @zerozed 's post.
    And then when I point out the differences between your thoughts and what he mentions, you claim I am ignorant.
    Take it to a 5 grader and they will tell you what your views and your perceptions about OP and what @zerozed mentioned in his post is completely OPPOSITE. If you want me to give you the Oxford dictionary meaning of Opposite I sure can send you the link.

15. fallenelf86

Once again, you don't read what I wrote.

"Just read @zerozed 's recent post, he summarizes most of the ideas I've written over our long debate." He does summarize many of the ideas, I just disagree with his final comment.

I pointed out that I actually said many of things he did. If you're going to say I didn't mention the Chinese market and how they're selling well there, or that they are not meeting demand internationally, etc then I think you're a little slow.

16. coham
    Jelly Bean Jun 26, 2014

17. Esthz25
    Jelly Bean Jun 26, 2014

Esthz25 , Jun 26, 2014 :
    Buddy your ideas are completely opposite @zerozed 's. I pointed out in all three paragraphs.
    If you agree to his points then by now you must have realized OP's Modus Operandi.

The whole point of me creating this thread is to bring out the ARTIFICIAL SCARCITY that OP is creating. THEY are of course liar and they are not here for non profit. They here here with an operation and you have failed to mention that in any of your arguments - but only were a mere Yes Butters to OP.

18. fallenelf86

Rofl, I think you're a bit of a joke buddy.

We made similar points throughout, but our end conclusion was different. My basic assumption of you that I made earlier proved to be correct, you're just looking for someone else to call them liars. That's fine. You must live in a very sad world.

19. Esthz25
    Jelly Bean Jun 26, 2014

Esthz25 , Jun 26, 2014 :
    If you tell me you share the same views as @superchinook and @zerozed then all the arguments you made For OP goes down the drain becoz the views they posted are not what you reflected throughout.

20. fallenelf86

Sigh, you're really not a bright individual. Many of the basic facts presented in both of those posts were similar to mine, the main difference being I don't think OP is lying. You're just choosing to ignore that, and now I'm just choosing to ignore you.