Under Display Camera Phone

1. shubhphoenix
    Donut May 6, 2020

shubhphoenix , May 6, 2020 :
    As we are moving ahead towards the Future, we must also focus on the full screen display without any notches and punch holes.
    If under display technology has been patented by oneplus, then it's the right time to gear up this and bring it to reality.
    Under Display Camera is being tested by other brands but still we trust Oneplus will definitely be the Top Flagship which gives the best of any other phones to be brought in the coming time.
    Cheers! and Stay Safe!
    #NeverSettle #UnderDisplayCamera

2. Liehjan
    Marshmallow May 6, 2020

Liehjan , May 6, 2020 :
    They are probably already testing it, other BBK brands also are doing their research... The tech isn't good enough yet, so expect it earliest on 2021 flagships

3. Liehjan
    Marshmallow May 6, 2020

Liehjan , May 6, 2020 :
    Samsung has already patented this, and Oneplus uses Samsung displays...

aenews likes this.
  4. LegolasX
    Jelly Bean May 6, 2020

LegolasX , May 6, 2020 :
    im pretty sure OnePlus is not gonna do anything before oppo releases a retail product with ud camera.
    OnePlus always piggybacks on them for new tech.

FaleshC, Starcommander and Liehjan like this.
  5. Liehjan
    Marshmallow May 6, 2020

Liehjan , May 6, 2020 :
    Agree, oppo and vivo does everything first... Then oneplus follows 6-12 months later :)

Starcommander likes this.
  6. karthik yadawad
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 6, 2020

7. aenews
    KitKat May 6, 2020

aenews , May 6, 2020 :
    This is incorrect. The 7 Pro was the first QHD/QHD+ OLED released with high refresh rate (90Hz). They paid a premium to get the best from Samsung, something that even months later was not emulated by any other company (Not even Oppo or other companies under the umbrella of BKK Electronics let alone Samsung). As far as I can recall, no one else even used a similar panel until Google did with the Pixel 4XL (QHD+ 90Hz OLED). That was released four months later! If you don't care, that's fine, really. But OnePlus absolutely does choose their parts and have already shown that they will buy premium high-end displays before other companies.

With the 8 Pro, OnePlus opted for a 120Hz QHD+ OLED that is also a 10-Bit Panel (this is, again, the highest configuration currently possible from Samsung, not even the S20 Ultra has a 10-Bit Display. You can get 10-Bit Displays but not QHD+ only FHD+). To top that, they even went with a custom MEMC hardware solution for motion smoothing. You might be a person that hates motion smoothing, and that would be fine too. But again, this is the first I've heard of a custom chip for motion interpolation being implemented on any Android device. I've wanted interpolation on Android for years, personally. So yeah, again, maybe you do or don't care about all these technical achievements. That's cool, we all have our preferences. But OnePlus is clearly buying tech that no one else is using. So it's absolutely wrong to say hardware has to be on Oppo first. With the 7 Pro and 8 Pro, OnePlus proved this is not the case.

On an off-note, I'm disappointed that OnePlus not only switched to a hole-punch camera on the 8 Pro but that the camera is much more low-hanging than on the S20 Ultra. The low-hanging part annoys me because it means the status bar will be pretty big. Also the sides of the display are still strongly curved whereas the S20 line has made the curvature even more subtle than last generation.

8. LegolasX
    Jelly Bean May 6, 2020

LegolasX , May 6, 2020 :
    right there is your answer: Bought from Samsung not developed by OnePlus in-house.

if and when OnePlus uses own resources and time to develop something from scratch to retail unit that is first in market, then it would be counted not something bought from some other company even if it was first for OnePlus.

9. aenews
    KitKat May 6, 2020

aenews , May 6, 2020 :
    Dude. I don't think you checked what I quoted. I was referring to what you said regarding OnePlus releasing products before Oppo. I addressed this thoroughly in my post. This is what I quoted.
    Not to mention, there's tech in the form of the MEMC Chip which is just not implemented on any smartphone. Period. At least not to my knowledge, anyways.

10. LegolasX
    Jelly Bean May 6, 2020

LegolasX , May 6, 2020 :
    okay, you want to play tag.. lets tango..
    have you heard of Oppo Find X2/Pro? it was launched in March 06 2020 a month before 8 Pro.
    they have 8+2 bit display what do you say about that? 10-bit display before your 8 Pro?
    looks like same panel 8 Pro used upto the hole in display.
    OPPO Find X2 Pro also has a similar chip but called the “O1 Ultra Vision Engine” which has a feature called Motion Clear that upscale 30fps content to 60fps or 120fps.

let me quote from an article from gizmochina

"The OnePlus 8 isn’t the first phone to have a MEMC chip. Black Shark introduced it to phones back in 2018 and its Black Shark 3 flagship has a new version called MEMC 2.0. The OPPO Find X2 Pro also has a similar chip but called the “O1 Ultra Vision Engine” which has a feature called Motion Clear that upscale 30fps content to 60fps or 120fps."
    OnePlus calling it custom chip may have just tinkered something to their liking.

also you do realize every OnePlus phone is a basically re-branded Oppo phone, don't you?

i hope this clears things up.

Link to Original article:

https://www.gizmochina.com/2020/04/...t-memc-motion-estimation-motion-compensation/

Also read whose tech OnePlus actually used:
    https://www.pixelworks.com/media/on...fth-generation-visual-processor-and-software/

Last edited: May 6, 2020

Areebanwar, Matt 80 and FaleshC like this.