Underclocking OnePlus 3T

1. mrbanoffeecrunch
    Froyo Sep 4, 2018

mrbanoffeecrunch , Sep 4, 2018 :
    I have a rooted OnePlus 3T. I would like to underclock it slightly but I'm unsure if I need a custom kernel for this or if I can do it on the stock ROM and kernel?

Edit: I installed the ElementalX kernel and underclocked my phone and wow what a difference. my phone was reaching temperatures of 60c before and now it's really cool. I used the conservative governor so I still get good performance with minimal lag.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018

Arkinos likes this.
  2. 0slawek
    Jelly Bean Sep 4, 2018

0slawek , Sep 4, 2018 :
    You need custom kernel for that,
    I would recommend Franco Kernel for OP3T, which is compatible with OxygenOS

3. mrbanoffeecrunch
    Froyo Sep 4, 2018

mrbanoffeecrunch , Sep 4, 2018 :
    thank you I'll check it out

4. Horsault
    Nougat Moderator Sep 4, 2018

Horsault , Sep 4, 2018 :
    Please mind that this is the kind of manipulation which will completely void any warranty and support from OnePlus.

5. SurajLoharia
    KitKat Sep 4, 2018

SurajLoharia , Sep 4, 2018 :
    not at all

6. 0slawek
    Jelly Bean Sep 4, 2018

0slawek , Sep 4, 2018 :
    Thats not true, maybe in newest smartphones they've changed their policy but when 3/3T was the latest device everyone could ROOT / Flash anything they wanted and it didn't void the warranty.
    Different story if you failed and damaged the hardware :]

RASTAVIPER likes this.
  7. RASTAVIPER
    Jelly Bean Sep 4, 2018

RASTAVIPER , Sep 4, 2018 :
    Boeffla kernel also supports such function and has also a totally free app to change such parameters.

8. Paschfire
    KitKat Sep 4, 2018

Paschfire , Sep 4, 2018 :
    Your statement is completely false. OnePlus does not void warranties from unlocking the bootloader, rooting the device or from using custom software.

They are deemed development devices for a reason.

9. Horsault
    Nougat Moderator Sep 4, 2018

Horsault , Sep 4, 2018 :
    You're free to root your phone, to flash it or anything.
    But if you damage your phone by doing something hazardous, like playing with hardware, it's on you own.
    But you're all perfectly free not to trust me, and make your own experience, of course, it's your phone after all.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018

ghostofcain and SurajLoharia like this.
  10. RASTAVIPER
    Jelly Bean Sep 5, 2018

RASTAVIPER , Sep 5, 2018 :
    Your assumptions are wrong.
    Why to scare people by mentioning that hardware will be having problems after rooting?

11. Horsault
    Nougat Moderator Sep 5, 2018

Horsault , Sep 5, 2018 :
    Not by rooting in itself, if you read what I wrote, but by attempting to alter the way the phone is working, like playing with clock speed.
    Once again, it's your phone, you're free to play with it and break it as you like, as long as you don't come back complaining after OnePlus has refused any kind of help for a purposefully damaged device.

12. RASTAVIPER
    Jelly Bean Sep 6, 2018

RASTAVIPER , Sep 6, 2018 :
    If the user removes root, how anyone can tell if the device had underclock/overclock etc??

13. Ak@oneplus
    Gingerbread Sep 7, 2018

Ak@oneplus , Sep 7, 2018 :
    If you have ElementalX then try AKT(advanced kernel tweaking) for our device from xda..... Specially try FusionOBeta22 from thier..... Much more balanced profile in terms of battery and performance..... I m getting 6-7 hr of sot with my op 3...you could even get better with 3t

14. Ak@oneplus
    Gingerbread Sep 7, 2018

15. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Sep 7, 2018

ghostofcain , Sep 7, 2018 :
    He wasn't, he was suggesting that using root to remove inbuilt hardware protection, would void guarantee.

How are you going to do that if you end up with a device you can't boot?

Sun90 likes this.