[UNIFIED] Battery and heating feedback thread OnePlus 7t pro

1. jmanes
    Eclair Dec 14, 2019

jmanes , Dec 14, 2019 :
    As I understand it, this is going to be a problem for all major phone manufacturers next year. Qualcomm does not build the 5G modem into their CPU like they do with the 4G modem. It is a separate chip that requires its own dedicated power source. This means even if you disable 5G, that chip will be consuming power. Sadly, I think this is out of OnePlus' ability to fix.

limaoscarlima likes this.
  2. Abhilash_PM
    Froyo Dec 14, 2019

Abhilash_PM , Dec 14, 2019 :
    How we managed to fix battery drain and screen lagging/stuttering issues on OP7T Pro McLaren (OOS 10.0.4)

Hello Guys. We found a workaround to battery drain along with screen lagging and stuttering issues found on update to OOS 10.0.4. My friend who got his OP7T Pro McLaren edition about 3 weeks back was experiencing severe battery drain issues and screen stuttering on his device. His device came with OOS 10.0.3 out of the box and he did an update to OOS 10.0.4 on the same day he unboxed his phone. Ever since he's been experiencing severe battery drain and was getting about 3 Hrs 45 mins of screen time with basic apps installed. Most amount of usage was accounted by Android System 21% and Screen 19%. He had to charge his phone at least twice a day. We closely monitored the device and compared it with mine where I was getting about 7 hrs and 20 mins of screen time (I own a OP7T Pro McLaren too). My device did not have any screen lags or stuttering but his device did and battery life was half of what I was getting.

Solution:

Solution was simple!
    1. We wiped cache from the boot loader (tutorial here),
    2. Re-flashed the device with a full rom OOS 10.0.4 (downloaded from here),
    3. Once it was re-flashed, we did a factory reset on the device!
    4. The device was brought back exactly as it was manually (not restored or synced backed from cloud) with the same apps and settings
    Crazy as it sounds yeah? Well it did the trick. No more screen stuttering/lags and battery life improved to 7 hrs and 50 mins of screen time with the same apps installed! We've seen this result consistently for about a week now.

This also solved many other minor issues that we were experiencing like camera shutter delay, camera hanging during videos.

UPDATE:
    I've started to experience similar battery drain what my friend was experiencing as well and for some time it was very upsetting. This fix completely turned it around!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019

3. LukeLumley , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 14, 2019 :
    That'll be a deal breaker for a lot of folks I'm sure.

4. frwood2000
    Cupcake Dec 14, 2019

frwood2000 , Dec 14, 2019 :
    Not sure if this helps, but yesterday I turned off RAM Boost and my overnight screen off battery drain was significantly lower. That hasn't helped my screen on battery drain, but I reduced the screen brightness a bit and that seems to help. This has all been at home on WiFi with default network settings. Overall, it's still the fastest battery drain I've had on a phone since my Nexus 5. But the performance and sound quality on the phone is awesome. I've also had a pretty consistent 5G connection when out and about.

1576329208686.jpg

1576329208723.jpg

1576329208756.jpg

1576329208791.jpg

5. Abhilash_PM
    Froyo Dec 14, 2019

Abhilash_PM , Dec 14, 2019 :
    How we managed to fix battery drain and screen lagging/stuttering issues on OP7T Pro McLaren (OOS 10.0.4)

UPDATE:
    This was tested on the non-5G device experiencing battery drain after updating to OOS 10.0.4.

Hello Guys. We found a workaround to battery drain along with screen lagging and stuttering issues found on update to OOS 10.0.4. My friend who got his OP7T Pro McLaren edition about 3 weeks back was experiencing severe battery drain issues and screen stuttering on his device. His device came with OOS 10.0.3 out of the box and he did an update to OOS 10.0.4 on the same day he unboxed his phone. Ever since he's been experiencing severe battery drain and was getting about 3 Hrs 45 mins of screen time with basic apps installed. Most amount of usage was accounted by Android System 21% and Screen 19%. He had to charge his phone at least twice a day. We closely monitored the device and compared it with mine where I was getting about 7 hrs and 20 mins of screen time (I own a OP7T Pro McLaren too). My device did not have any screen lags or stuttering but his device did and battery life was half of what I was getting.

Solution:

Solution was simple!
    1. We wiped cache from the boot loader (tutorial here),
    2. Re-flashed the device with a full rom OOS 10.0.4 (downloaded from here),
    3. Once it was re-flashed, we did a factory reset on the device!
    4. The device was brought back exactly as it was manually (not restored or synced backed from cloud) with the same apps and settings
    Crazy as it sounds yeah? Well it did the trick. No more screen stuttering/lags and battery life improved to 7 hrs and 50 mins of screen time with the same apps installed! We've seen this result consistently for about a week now.

This also solved many other minor issues that we were experiencing like camera shutter delay, camera hanging during videos.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019

X1571771288355 likes this.
  6. jsode425
    Cupcake Dec 14, 2019

jsode425 , Dec 14, 2019 :
    Yeah, battery life is terrible for some reason. But I don't believe it's because of the 5G signal/chip at all. Doubt it. I think it's something with the OS. Maybe apps draining in the background, even though it doesn't reflect this in the battery usage settings. I don't know. I plan to root soon, so hopefully I can get a better idea. Also, how exactly is the GPS not working? Is it just intermittent? I used Waze yesterday in my car and it was fine. But that's really the only time I've tried it.

7. jsode425
    Cupcake Dec 14, 2019

jsode425 , Dec 14, 2019 :
    T-Mobile users in the states can't do this yet. Not if they're using the T-Mobile variant at least. Also, I can't tell what version of Oxygen OS I even have installed. It doesn't show this info in the system settings.

X1571771288355 likes this.
  8. jrsystems
    Gingerbread Dec 14, 2019

9. jhovictor19 , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 14, 2019 :
    So guys, just to share with you. I contacted TMobile and according to them that they are not still aware of the battery issues with the 7t pro mclaren. according to them the phone should last 28 to 48 hrs from moderate to heavy use. All they can suggest is return for replacement or get a different phone. TMobile rep also had me try to reach out to Oneplus customer care which I did, they said the same thing, phone should last us a day or two depending on the usage and not 7 to 8 hrs til we need to re charge and also they said they cant do anything on their end, it has to go through TMobile. Either get a replacement or get a different phone.

10. jrsystems
    Gingerbread Dec 14, 2019

11. mghwater
    Cupcake Dec 14, 2019

12. jrsystems
    Gingerbread Dec 14, 2019

13. M1576372844317
    Cupcake Dec 15, 2019

M1576372844317 , Dec 15, 2019 :
    I just received mine and it's battery life is pretty decent but do have an issue on transferring notes to the OnePlus phone? I just received my OnePlus 7T pro McLaren 5G edition and transfered everything from my Samsung S10+ plus but my notes didn't cross over. I have over 200 notes and I don't want to lose it or rewrite it over. I would appreciate any advice. thanks in advance. I also searched threads and no results. thanks

14. limaoscarlima
    Cupcake Dec 15, 2019

limaoscarlima , Dec 15, 2019 :

jmanes

As I understand it, this is going to be a problem for all major phone manufacturers next year. Qualcomm does not build the 5G modem into their CPU like they do with the 4G modem. It is a separate chip that requires its own dedicated power source. This means even if you disable 5G, that chip will be consuming power. Sadly, I think this is out of OnePlus' ability to fix.​

I agree I remember reading something about that. As 5G is new and so is the technology it will probably be a generation or two before they really work out all the kinks and get everything where it's running the way it should.

15. jhovictor19 , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 15, 2019 :
    I tried numerous times with T-Mobile, its either they are playing dumb or they know that theres a problem with the phone and , i tried to reach out to Oneplus customer care and its the same they told me to go have TMobile replace the phone. I think no matter how many times we replace the phones if its the phone and the 5g signal issue not compatible or making problems it will be a nom stop replacement til the admit that they ****** up on the release.

i wonder if the Samsung note 10+ 5g having the same issue like us.

16. Joe.Dirt
    Gingerbread Dec 15, 2019

Joe.Dirt , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 15, 2019 :
    T-Mobile are sales not tech. They don't care if they take that one back and give you a different one as they are not eating the cost of a phone and they still get to make a sale either way. They suck at troubleshooting. It's OnePlus' phone and software.

Disable wifi search and automatic connect,disable all background apps, disable GPS other than when an app is actually running.

My 7T Pro 5G is getting a full day of battery life going in and out of 5G, I did not and will not disable 5G as it negates the purpose of the phone, but I have everything above disabled other than a couple few background apps.

Best of luck to you

H1542153384332 likes this.
  17. kitturk
    Cupcake Dec 15, 2019