[UNIFIED] Battery and heating feedback thread OnePlus 8 pro

1. Jose_Lizarazo
    Gingerbread Jul 14, 2020

Jose_Lizarazo , Jul 14, 2020 :
    It's true that the first week the battery is not that good, but after a couple of days, it starts improving.

I'm able to make more than 6-7 hours SOT with full display configuration (QHD@120Hz) and over a day of usage, but it's a matter of being patient and configuring your device properly. Take in mind that signal and mobile operator play a big impact in the battery, as well as region and location. For some reason, some bands and companies drain more battery than others.

Also sometimes the backup produces unexpected behaviour when is not properly done, so I would recommend to configure the device as new if you are facing any battery drain.

I have been with the device more than 3 months, and I can say that so far I'm happy with the battery, but you need to dedicate time to check the options and configure it properly.

;)

Neodaandroid likes this.
  2. Neodaandroid
    Cupcake Jul 14, 2020

E1587459749968 likes this.
  3. Birdie69
    Donut Jul 14, 2020

Birdie69 , Jul 14, 2020 :
    I quickly get heating issues sitting outside in the sun. 25C outside so not that hot.

4. Jose_Lizarazo
    Gingerbread Jul 14, 2020

Jose_Lizarazo , Jul 14, 2020 :
    I don't have any specific settings, I just use the phone and that's all. The whole time I'm on QHD@120Hz, and luckily for me, in the region where I live I don't have issues with signal or data.

As I said, I'm able to achieve really good battery life, so for me is kind of crazy when some people come here and say they can't do more of a couple of hours SOT and they need to charge the phone twice a day.

By the way, this was my battery from yesterday:

Screenshot_20200714-100522.jpg

Screenshot_20200714-100530.jpg

;)

5. Akshay Neotia
    Donut Jul 14, 2020

Akshay Neotia , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 14, 2020 :
    After the update which was supposed to enhance the battery life it has reduced the battery life. The battery is draining without using and with less usage it not even going a full day. Before the update I was getting a full day without problem with 3 hrs of gaming. Anyone else noticing?

pendragon, Mhand and Farias16 like this.
  6. sam.roscoe
    Donut Jul 14, 2020

sam.roscoe , Jul 14, 2020 :
    I have no issues with battery life, but the overheating is even worse on latest 15.0.10.

I took a 30 minutes video yesterday with the phone on a stand sitting in the shadow of a sunshade. Outside temperature around 24°C.
    After max. 10 minutes the display went dark with the overheating message.

The phone was never touched, the brightness was not maxed out due to the shadow and the video was only 1080p60 an not 4K.

This is not only disappointing, this is a shame.
    Back in april I had absolutely no overheating issues. I could sit in direct sunlight for hours and display on max brightness.

Never had this kind of warning on any other smartphone yet.

7. PROMCRdog
    Donut Jul 14, 2020

PROMCRdog , Jul 14, 2020 :
    Click show full device usage on the top right with the three dots. And check how much battery your screen network connectivity is using. Or if there might be some things you left turned on but you don't actually need like NFC.

8. DillyTex
    Cupcake Jul 14, 2020

DillyTex , Jul 14, 2020 :
    My battery runs down 20% overnight. Whether it's in flight mode or not.
    I've reset the phone twice now. The second time I did not install any apps or anything else just to see how the battery behaves. Unfortunately there is also 20% overnight lost again.
    I already installed the latest software with the Oxygen Updater because OnePlus did not offer me a new version.
    If you don't get this under control soon I will switch back to my 7T.

9. Farias16
    Cupcake Jul 14, 2020

Akshay Neotia likes this.
  10. Mhand
    Froyo Jul 14, 2020

11. Ozymandias_Osiris
    Gingerbread Jul 14, 2020

12. GChadha19
    Cupcake Jul 14, 2020

GChadha19 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 14, 2020 :
    Model: OnePlus 8Pro(IN2021)
    Date of Purchase: 24.06.2020
    Usage: FHD+, 120 Hz, Vivid Screen mode. Motion Smoothening, Vivid Video mode off.

The first 5-7% of the battery drops in only 9 minutes of Screen On Time.

I got a battery drain of 5% with only 7 minutes of Screen on Time. This Screen-On time only involved some light emailing and a phone call. Further, the total time since last full charge is only 21 minutes and I have lost 6% battery, without running any apps other than the 2 mentioned above.

Usage data 14th June:

1594763045675.jpg

1594763045707.jpg

Anyone knows if this is an issue with my phone or just the 8Pro in general? Or do I not know how to use a phone, LOL?

13. GChadha19
    Cupcake Jul 14, 2020

14. GChadha19
    Cupcake Jul 14, 2020

15. GChadha19
    Cupcake Jul 14, 2020

16. JuneTwo
    Eclair Jul 15, 2020

17. sephstyler
    Froyo Jul 15, 2020

sephstyler , Jul 15, 2020 :
    Guys, batteries dont drain for no reason.

Lets make these thread more constructive, can you guys share some stats and information?
    Can you share screenshots of what is using the battery? is it hardware? or is it a rampant app in the background?

I've personally also had some good days since the update, and some bad. Yesterday was bad. My phone was on standby, on my desk, and went from 95% to 85% in a matter of 10-15 min, and it was warm.

My offending app seems to have been Facebook, I've temporarily disabled background FB data access, and will report back.

But its worthwhile you guys checking, from battery stats in the phone, or third party apps that monitor resource usage, to see where the battery is going. If indeed it is hardware related, like cell radios, or screen, we can then give that to OnePlus as an issue.

AndroidPurity likes this.
  18. MPre
    Cupcake Jul 15, 2020

MPre , Jul 15, 2020 :
    yup.. exactly the same here... thy optimised. Battery drainage it seems, its musch better now! OnePlus, we're a bit dissapointed here.

EDIT: After 5-7% battery / hour drain in standby (screen off, no apps, freshly restarted system) after last update .... I decided to turn phone off (actually off) and than on again...
    Issue resolved... to my big surprise!!!
    Now I'm back to regular use, 50% batery with 4,5 hours on screen time, half of this gaming.
    Try it out. Wish you luck!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020

19. DillyTex
    Cupcake Jul 15, 2020

DillyTex , Jul 15, 2020 :
    Hi guys

Yesterday I was looking through the posts in the OnePlus 8 (not Pro) Support Forum.
    There are similar problems with the battery life.
    A user wrote that you should turn off the pocket mode.
    I did that yesterday and now I had only 3% battery loss over night. I had everything turned on on the phone. WLAN, Bluetooth, mobile data.
    Maybe that helps some of the users here.

upload_2020-7-15_8-5-38.png

20. Jose_Lizarazo
    Gingerbread Jul 15, 2020

Jose_Lizarazo , Jul 15, 2020 :
    I don't think that will help, since I have it enabled and my phone is behaving properly.

:rolleyes: