[UNIFIED] Battery and heating feedback thread OnePlus 8

1. F123456789
    Froyo Oct 19, 2020

2. I1594372313796 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Oct 19, 2020 :
    I was experiencing huge battery drains in oxygenos 11 until I turned off AOD. These are my stats. BTW I CHARGED MY PHONE TILL 93%. KEEP NOTE OF THAT. I DIDN'T FULLY CHARGE IT TO 100%. MOREOVER, I MOSTLY USED YOUTUBE, SOCIAL MEDIA, BROWSING, ETC (I DON'T PLAY GAMES)
    1603112519934.jpg
    Do let me know ur battery performance after turning off AOD. For me AOD is still not optimised and it makes no sense at all to it at night bcoz of how bright the screen becomes when using AOD....
    SO THE MAIN CULPRIT HERE IS AOD. JUST KEEP IT TOUCH TO WAKE AND WAIT TILL ONEPLUS ROLL SOME PATCH TO FIX AOD....

ashishmahaju likes this.
  3. O1603116072065
    Cupcake Oct 19, 2020

O1603116072065 , Oct 19, 2020 :
    Hi
    I have only today bought new 8T.
    It heated up the first time I was agreeing to TnC and then again while transferring apps and files. It heats up pretty bad too, could not hold it up to my face.

Is heating up going to be a persistent issue or can you suggest a solution?

4. ashishmahaju
    Gingerbread Oct 19, 2020

5. I1594372313796 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Oct 19, 2020 :
    Yea it could be bcoz you're transferring huge files. This process is similar to playing heavy games... So dont worry and if it heats up again while using normally, then maybe you should contact OnePlus or return it (if you've purchased from Amazon)

6. mr_raptor_pilot
    Eclair Oct 19, 2020

7. Y. Vikas Reddy , via OnePlus 8 Glacial Green , Oct 20, 2020 :
    My battery seems to be draining faster after the Oxygen 11 update. It drains fast even when I am using the phone.
    I don't feel like I am getting the same screen time before the update. Is there any fix or do we have to wait for one plus to fix it

8. eyal258
    Cupcake Oct 20, 2020

eyal258 , via OnePlus 8 , Oct 20, 2020 :
    Hi, I have heating issue in my new Oneplus 8.
    I got it 2 months ago, and notice the phone getting hot to the touch in varible situations.

I own Oneplus 1, 3t, 5t.
    non of them get heat like this phone, It gets so hot that I can't put my finger on the top of the screen, where the procceser is.

It get to this heat when i use my phone intensively, I usually game, and use youtube, some whatsapp, and Waze.

the heat can come from games (Summonerswar, Genshin Impact) and from other apps like youtube or chrome.
    the same app I played on my 5t recently.

I always put auto brightness, and not using Fanatic, just normal setting, and still getting the notification of overheating, it really can be burning hot.
    on the games I have use the lowest setting, and the lowest fps just not to get this heat and it still does after a few minutes.

It also affect battery life, of course.

I dont know why this is happening, maybe my device it had a problem out of the box, but now that i read Im not the only one that really makes me so frustrated.

oxygen os 10.5.12.in21AA

9. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Oct 20, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Oct 20, 2020 :
    How long since the update? Tried a nightly charge? (or 100% plus a few hours extra)

Some investigation beyond just looking at the basic battery stats might help you. That way you might solve it yourself depending on the cause or get more info ready for when you report it to Oneplus via the feedback tool.

View attachment 1458248

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/guide-lower-battery-drain.1260498/

Background optimizing (adb shell) : cmd package bg-dexopt-job
    CPU usage (adb shell) : top -m 10 (or a other number of your choosing).

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...-and-battery-calibration-myths-busted.993896/

Alternate battery stats app.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm
    ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro )

10. ektarabel47
    Cupcake Oct 20, 2020

ektarabel47 , Oct 20, 2020 :
    I’ve had my op8p since launch and I’ve noticed that recently my phone has randomly been getting hot at first I thought I had apps that ran in the background or using my location all the time and I turned off what needed to be turned off and it didn’t help, factory reset it same problem I’ve also dropped it down to 60hrz and FHD+ and although it still heats up it’s not as hot or stay hot as long I mostly noticed this when I’m on my phone for about 30-45mins but not all the time. One thing I have definitely noticed is that it heats up when I use tiktok but not YouTube. After the two updates I’ve received the phone still heats up just not as bad, Ive never gotten a warning issues so I’m just confused on if this is normal or not. Other then that I have no problems, if there’s any tips and tricks y’all could tell me that would be great thanks in advance and stay safe.https://omegle.onl/

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020

11. Kunjan_Patel
    Cupcake Oct 20, 2020

Kunjan_Patel , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Oct 20, 2020 :
    Are you using Oxygen OS 11 ?

12. deadwarrior
    Honeycomb Oct 20, 2020

deadwarrior , Oct 20, 2020 :
    my OnePlus 8 Pro doesn't charge as fast anymore, even though it actually shows "Warp Charge". i noticed this started happening after the Oxygen OS 11 update.

13. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Oct 20, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Oct 20, 2020 :
    Could be heat related. If you get more heat of some reason the charge slows down.

14. deadwarrior
    Honeycomb Oct 20, 2020

deadwarrior , Oct 20, 2020 :
    my phone is lying idle without me using it. and i'm in a perfectly cool environment. don't think it's because of the heat.

15. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Oct 21, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Oct 21, 2020 :
    Have you checked the temperatures when it is charging?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flar2.devcheck

View attachment 1465470
    Some have had issues with higher idle drain/activity and therefor also additional heat.

You can both force an background optimize and then check what processes that are using the CPU. If nothing special seems to raise the SoC temperature (and in the end also the battery) and battery remains cold during charge then we atleast know something.

Background optimizing (adb shell) : cmd package bg-dexopt-job
    CPU usage (adb shell) : top -m 10 (or a other number of your choosing).

16. deadwarrior
    Honeycomb Oct 21, 2020

deadwarrior , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Oct 21, 2020 :
    Thanks, I'll check this out.

17. Abhi_Singh31
    Froyo Oct 21, 2020

Abhi_Singh31 , via OnePlus 8 , Oct 21, 2020 :
    Okay then try to wipe up cache by following these steps:
    First turn off your device
    Then press volume down button+power button together
    Now select English
    There you'll find wipe data and cache