[UNIFIED]OnePlus 9 pro Battery, heating and charging feedback thread

1. Bibz32
    Eclair Mar 30, 2021

Bibz32 , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Moderator edit:

Please use this thread for any questions, SOT, tips, issues and all things related to battery, heating and charging of the OnePlus 9pro .

Please note that the way you use the phone (daily usage scenarios and habits) will make a huge difference to the battery/heating performance. In a scenario where there is a heavy performance workload, such as photo shooting/video shooting/mobile gaming/video consumption, the power consumption and heating of the phone will increase accordingly, which is a normal phenomenon.

You are more than welcome to share any battery tips and tricks in the comment section and ask a forum moderator to pin your post on the first page of this thread.

Battery optimization never ends. To help OnePlus better resolve battery/heating-related issues, please submit a bug report via the Feedback Tool in the Community app or here

Thank you in advance.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unfortunately I keep finding nothing but bugs and issues with this device. I was trying to take a 4k 60fps video clip that overheated the phone so quickly that I only got about 1 minute of filming (Smooth UHD states it will record up to 5 minutes).

If it can't handle more than 1 minute at 4k 60fps, you can probably forget 120fps. This was repeatable while in the stock gray stone case and naked without a case. No other apps running, the only load on the CPU was the camera.

OnePlus has some serious software issues to work out with this phone. Out of every OP phone I've bought or pre-ordered, this is the worst experience I've had (which also includes the latest update making it not Google Play certified. (Forget watching the pre-installed Netflix app, Disney+, etc.)

OnePlus needs to address these issues.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2021

2. jtkung
    Eclair Mar 30, 2021

jtkung , Mar 30, 2021 :
    What version of OS are you on? I just got an system update today. I have no issues with Google Play certification. And I just filmed a video 4K@60fps for like 45s. Phone was cool the whole time. No case. It does seem strange that I see some people with lots of issues while others have few ...

3. ShreyasPatil_
    Jelly Bean Mar 31, 2021

4. McLarenMania
    Gingerbread Mar 31, 2021

5. sam.roscoe
    Donut Mar 31, 2021

sam.roscoe , Mar 31, 2021 :
    I tested 4K120 now after I saw this thread. It took 2:21 minutes until the recording stopped and I got an overheat warning...

The phone has also the same overheating issues in direct sunlight like the OnePlus 8 Pro had.
    You can only use it for a few minutes until you get a warning and everything is going dark.

6. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Mar 31, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Mar 31, 2021 :
    In what kind of temperatures does this happen? What temperatures are you having under fairly idle use?

View attachment 1579473
    If you look in the app Devcheck what kind of temperatures do you see on battery and CPU? Anything abnormal about the CPU activity (high freqency a lot).
    Still waiting on my 9 Pro myself.
    In Sweden I practically needed a very sunny and "warm" (according to Swedish messurments 😉) summer day on the beach to make my 8 Pro get a heat warning (while browsing and typing).

Caomhin likes this.
  7. sam.roscoe
    Donut Mar 31, 2021

sam.roscoe , Mar 31, 2021 :
    @Swejuggalo I am living in Germany and we have currently sunny spring weather with 20°C.
    So far away from 30°+ in summer.

I recorded this video of my 9 Pro:
    https://streamable.com/0djqc5

In a stand, no heavy tasks, no apps installed (so no heavy background CPU activity).
    Just facing the direct sunlight. Otherwise the brightness wouldn't boost and I wouldn't see anything on it.
    Sometimes it doesn't even take the 5 minute from the video to shut down.

I didn't check the CPU and battery temperature, but from the "in hand" feeling, it is way cooler than my OP8P before it overheats.

The overheating during 4K120 recording happened inside, with 22°C room temperature.

Will definitely return it. (facing also other issues)

8. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Mar 31, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Mar 31, 2021 :
    Does not sound good. Could be something bad with the device too. Know users that had defect phones that could barely manage a phone call without issues. One user got a replacement and it was fine after that.

As soon as I get my device I'll do some heat benchmarks and tests and report as many issues as possible.

Heat issues without a trace or logic behind it could be a defect. However if it also shows signs on massive CPU usage it could be software. Know users that got system components going nuts and pulling 100% from one core. Something cryptic about crash logs and stuff was the only thing I could find out about the process responsible (a other model though).

For people that want to push the cooling system to the max and see how much it thermal throttles during extreme loads this app can be useful.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=skynet.cputhrottlingtest
    For me (used 7 Pro and 8 Pro so far) Oneplus has preformed great in such tests.

Caomhin likes this.
  9. Akshat Sehgal
    Gingerbread Mar 31, 2021

10. Bibz32
    Eclair Mar 31, 2021

Bibz32 , via OnePlus Community App , Mar 31, 2021 :
    I'm on 11.2.1.1LE15AA.... the first one. It seems they're releasing an update with the same build but I haven't received it yet.

11. JoeRodge
    Donut Apr 1, 2021

JoeRodge , Apr 1, 2021 :
    I just tested on mine and after two minutes straight of 4k, 60fps. There wasn't any heat at all. No difference in heat. Sad that people are having issues. I have the 8 pro and 9 pro. The 9 pro is a much better phone. They refined the hell out of this design. Battery life is only slightly better than 8 Pro in real world.

I keep hearing weird stuff and I haven't had any issues. Though I have had it get too hot because of temp but that happened constantly with my 8 Pro. I do live in Sacramento though.

R1616196719501 and Bibz32 like this.
  12. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Apr 1, 2021

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021

nickdepagter, Lucille and Bibz32 like this.
  13. indesisiv
    Gingerbread Apr 1, 2021

indesisiv , Apr 1, 2021 :
    Nevermind video I couldn't even take a picture in sunlight due to overheating (I was just sat outside in about 21 degree sun)
    First time I have ever had a phone say that before.

ramkaran555 and Bibz32 like this.
  14. MakB
    Honeycomb Apr 1, 2021

MakB , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Apr 1, 2021 :
    My few hours old OnePlus 9 pro is heating at 44-45 degrees while charging. In normal usage, it reaches up to 41 degrees. Camera and all other apps are getting shut down giving a warning of overheating. Is it normal?

Maruti Textiles likes this.
  15. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Apr 1, 2021

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021

16. Bibz32 , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 1, 2021 :
    Good to hear!

Edit by Moderator SoniaB: the more users that report the bug = more logs which will help bug hunters identify the cause and work on a fix.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2021

Nipu_1998 likes this.
  17. Bibz32 , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 1, 2021 :
    When you pay $1k for a phone and it does this, it's infuriating.

I expect bugs with all phones, but major bugs on standard features is a big miss.

volanti818, RahmonGin and indesisiv like this.
  18. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 1, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Apr 1, 2021 :
    I will do as many tests as possible tomorrow (got my device).
    Both some heavy CPU thermal testing and Camera heat tests.

My device is clean device. Empty, nothing imported, not even Google data from during setup.

I have already reported a kernel issue though.

Caomhin and Bibz32 like this.
  19. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 2, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Apr 2, 2021 :
    I did a 5 minute 4k 120Hz recording a while ago while taking a walk.

1617362132178.jpg

1617362132211.jpg
    SoC peak was close to 60°C I guess (estimate) but battery remained at nice values. I used High Efficient Video, main lens and original case on. Sunny but reported temp is like 9°C in the shadows.
    Screenshots quickly after recording.

I can only assume some ambient temperatures would struggle if idle temps would be high even before recording. The thermal headroom when looking at idle temps would be an important detail to have in mind.
    This is my idle temps a longer while after the recording.

1617362801315.jpg

Partythosh, Nipu_1998 and Caomhin like this.
  20. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 2, 2021

Caomhin likes this.