[UNIFIED]OnePlus 9 pro Battery, heating and charging feedback thread

1. Tanay Bhalani
    Eclair Apr 2, 2021

Tanay Bhalani , via OnePlus 5T , Apr 2, 2021 :
    I got my new one plus 9 Pro today. No apps installed and not recording or capturing anything.
    But after 10 to 15 min of moving mobile here and their with camera app on, to check camera quality, i noticed the area on the back around camera, mostly the upper half of rear was hot. It was not very hot but i can feel that it was warm enough to say phone is heating up, i have never noticed such issue on prior device i have( 5t, 7t, Nord).

2. L1617385197444
    Cupcake Apr 2, 2021

L1617385197444 , Apr 2, 2021 :

3. L1617385197444
    Cupcake Apr 2, 2021

L1617385197444 , Apr 2, 2021 :
    was super excited for new OP9. 15 mins out of the box, just doing the set up stuff, wanted to try hyped up camera, took 2 pics, just regular light, sitting at my dining room table in average temp house, went to take a 3rd pic and got the error it was high temp and it locked me from taking any more pics!!! I am turning it in for a new one!

angelolombardo, RahmonGin and Bibz32 like this.
  4. ankitmotwani07
    Cupcake Apr 2, 2021

ankitmotwani07 , Apr 2, 2021 :
    I have updated the software on my new OP 9 pro and it's still heating. 6 out of 10 times when I call someone, the person on the other side can't listen what I'm saying. So mic issues too.

5. Couches
    Froyo Apr 2, 2021

Couches , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Thank you for your screenshots in this and the last post I made as well. Incredibly helpful. I used the app you suggested and found my results to not be the same. After around 3 minutes it consistently hovered around 60 percent. Thanks so much for your help!

6. RahmonGin , via OnePlus 9 Pro Pine Green , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Same thing happened to me, I was just finishing set up and plugged it into my one plus 7 pro changer and it got SO hot that within a minute or two of just finishing set up right out the box it got the high temp warning. I contacted customer services one person told me to try battery optimization and the other told me that they don't suggest using the phone while charging. I've been using OnePlus since OP5 and I have to say, I've never had these issues. My OnePlus 7 pro is performing better in terms of battery and temp. I'm really bummed. I love the OnePlus brand and I always sing it's praises, but at this point I do not feel comfortable recommending the 9 pro. Not with these launch issues.

Bibz32 likes this.
  7. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 2, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Apr 2, 2021 :
    In your case how hot is your ambient temperature? Is the device rather hot even before the test? If the phone does not have issues with a high background activity it should do pretty good, if the ambient temperature allows it and leaves enough thermal headroom to do so.

Caoimhín likes this.
  8. Swejuggalo

Sounds strange. Sure there was nothing going nuts in the background hammering the CPU that could cause this?
    My own tests has shown great results so far.
    There can of course be faulty devices, but I would try to exclude all software related issues before that... Devcheck let's you view both CPU activity and temperatures at the same page.
    Know someone with a 7 or 8 series that had to replace the device. In that case even a phone call indoors at 20°C almost killed the phone of overheat. Nothing helped. The replacement was fine.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021

Caoimhín likes this.
  9. RahmonGin , via OnePlus 9 Pro Pine Green , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Could be, and if I did I have no idea what it could have been. I literally was only setting up right out of the box. I've since installed the update right after I talked to customer service, and it's not overheating. However, my concern is that it will overheat when I plug it into the charger. Hopefully it was just a fluke🤞

10. Swejuggalo

I hope so. Very happy with it myself so far. Trying to replicate every issue I can find on the forum.

Caoimhín likes this.
  11. nickdepagter
    Donut Apr 2, 2021

nickdepagter , Apr 2, 2021 :
    I have the same issues. Battery temp constantly around 35 degrees celsius and cpu around 40. I just sent my logs so i hope this gets resolved!

12. MarkoBatrac
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 2, 2021

MarkoBatrac , Apr 2, 2021 :
    I have exactly the same

13. abhishekcghosh
    Eclair Apr 2, 2021

abhishekcghosh , Apr 2, 2021 :
    My Oneplus 9 pro (12gb/256gb) battery health status constantly remains in a "overheat" state, even if I am not using the phone at all - like leave it for the night, in the morning the status still remains "overheat". Tested on multiple apps like CPUZ, DevCheck, Ampere. Temperature range for battery stays at 32 to 36 C, around 35 C most of the time, without any heavy use. CPU temp between 38 to 45 C. Restarting, full discharge and recharge, or battery saver mode does not help. Can this be solved by a software update or does it seem like the hardware/battery is faulty?

Attached Files:

14. Fr33noX
    Eclair Apr 2, 2021

Partythosh likes this.
  15. Izenberg
    Eclair Apr 2, 2021

ministry1978 likes this.
  16. RahmonGin , via OnePlus 9 Pro Pine Green , Apr 3, 2021 :
    Okay so, im no longer having any issues with the phone. The battery life is pretty great now and no overheating. Maybe there was some thing I was doing. I also let my phone completely discharge it's battery and charged to a 100% and now it's doing well. That quick charge is no joke!! Hopefully others can resolve their issues, too

Swejuggalo likes this.
  17. Fr33noX
    Eclair Apr 3, 2021

Fr33noX , Apr 3, 2021 :
    I don't know but I try to reset it and restart the calibration in the apps.

I will make a update ASAP.

But new info, I left my oneplus 9pro on a cooler for some time and I retest the temp of the battery :

27,1°c but always overheat :(

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. estebanvillela
    Donut Apr 3, 2021

estebanvillela , Apr 3, 2021 :
    I've had overheating messages by just watching YouTube and charging device. I have also tried recording 4k video and it overheats while not charging. Just got this phone after using op7pro for the longest time and that never occured on that phone in the same conditions. I've tried using battery saver feature and closing all apps before recording, however if it's warm outside the temperature quickly rises and once the SOC gets around 114 degrees F it will not let me take pictures and shows to stop recording. Using dev check pro with temperature overlay. I've also noticed the SOC temp rises when I open the camera app without even hitting the record button.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021

Revssai55 and Bibz32 like this.
  19. McLarenMania
    Honeycomb Apr 3, 2021

20. abhishekcghosh
    Eclair Apr 3, 2021

abhishekcghosh , Apr 3, 2021 :
    AccuBattery showing less than half the capacity is the case for me as well (shows 45%). But I think it makes sense that it is somehow picking up just one of them. What really bothers me is that the battery health state is continuously showing up as "overheat" and the temperature is commonly >= 35 C most of the time.

I can also confirm that even if I kept the phone near a cooler like @Fr33noX did and let the battery temperature cool down to around 22-23 C, the battery health status still shows "overheat"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021

johnjerrinjohn and Fr33noX like this.