[UNIFIED]OnePlus 9 pro Battery, heating and charging feedback thread

1. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 4, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Apr 4, 2021 :
    A note on the 120Hz issue. Reporting 120Hz might mean it uses 120Hz mode. The actual Hz may be different. I'm not 100% sure that any tool can show the true Hz right now. Even Devcheck shows only 120Hz and 60Hz just like if it was my 8 Pro.

2. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Apr 4, 2021

Bobbie63 , Apr 4, 2021 :
    Turn off optimised charging and you’ll see your charging issue is solved

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021

Caoimhín and Shailender Sharma like this.
  3. Swejuggalo

I managed to get approx 8.5h SoT one day. But it's very hard to compare SoT... QHD+ and 120Hz.
    I did a nightly idle drain test this night. With "everything" on that I use all the time. Bluetooth and NFC is on by demand only though. Not great but not very bad either.

View attachment 1585874

Bobbie63 likes this.
  4. Srikar24
    Eclair Apr 4, 2021

Srikar24 , Apr 4, 2021 :
    I turned off optimized charging when i charged earlier,still for 0-100% it took 40 mins

5. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Apr 4, 2021

Bobbie63 , Apr 4, 2021 :
    I don’t know how often you’ve charged your phone since you got it but I wouldn’t worry too much for now. See what times are under different ambient circumstances.

oh, and better don’t drain you battery to 0%!

ColinMcDrei and Caoimhín like this.
  6. Swejuggalo

Maybe if you mention your battery temperature before you start charging. How high is it?
    You can for example use the Devcheck to get a nice overview of all temperatures in the phone + the CPU frequency

Caoimhín likes this.
  7. Swejuggalo

johnjerrinjohn and ColinMcDrei like this.
  8. Srikar24
    Eclair Apr 4, 2021

Srikar24 , Apr 4, 2021 :
    In developer options,there is a setting "show refresh rate".Use that to know exact refresh rate of screen

ministry1978 likes this.
  9. Srikar24
    Eclair Apr 4, 2021

Srikar24 , Apr 4, 2021 :
    I don't know temperature at the beginning but during charge temperature is at 40 C.

10. Swejuggalo

Other users has noticed that around 38°C it starts to noticeable slow down. Even more the closer 45°C it comes.
    It's done to protect the battery. Slowing it down prolong battery life. Completely ignoring battery temp would make it explode. The whole charging system is built to maintain a safe charge.

Caoimhín likes this.
  11. estebanvillela
    Donut Apr 4, 2021

estebanvillela , Apr 4, 2021 :
    I'm not sure the battery temperature is causing the issues.

12. ChristophFuchs92
    Eclair Apr 4, 2021

ChristophFuchs92 , Apr 4, 2021 :
    (Oneplus 9 Pro - 8 GB / 128 GB)
    I have just tested video recording 4k and 8k for 5 minutes - it's getting warm, but seems fine. At least for me no warning that it's overeating while using camera.
    But my battery health is continually showing overheat, even when temperature is b>
    Does it make sense to open a new bug report? There are already some opened...
    Best regards,
    Christoph
    Screenshot_20210404-162140.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021

13. pablofg1978
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Apr 4, 2021

pablofg1978 , Apr 4, 2021 :
    Thread merged

Caoimhín likes this.
  14. pablofg1978

Thread merged

Caoimhín likes this.
  15. pablofg1978

Threads merged

16. MarkoBatrac
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 4, 2021

MarkoBatrac , Apr 4, 2021 :
    Damn , OP9PRO is really battery drainer :) even with normal usage or even better light usage, it drains battery so quick and heats a little. I hope that all logs which I sent do bug hunters will help next update to fix this issue. Last 2 charges my sot is around 3 hours :( I don't know how someone can get 8

Bibz32 likes this.

17. Caomhin

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Apr 4, 2021 :
    Check the links above for help.

But also Clear the Camera App info Cache and App info Storage as well.

See if that can help.

18. abhishekcghosh
    Eclair Apr 4, 2021

abhishekcghosh , Apr 4, 2021 :
    Looks like pretty much *all* apps that I've tried (cpu-z, devcheck, ampere) and so have other people - they're all reporting the battery health as "overheat". Also can't deny the fact that the phone does indeed get quite hot, and cameras turn off pretty quickly (like in a few mins) with some use. In my case, I may have been luckier than some other folks to be getting about 5-6hrs of SoT, but using the camera for a few mins really tosses the temperate out of the window. So how do we really know? And how do we know this does not cause problems with warranty with OP later?

I'm in India, with my ambient temperate varying between 22 to 26 C indoors during the phone use. It would go higher if I went outdoors and tested (which I didn't), but that shouldn't be shirked off as an environmental excuse given OP9pro is intended & marketed for selling big in India, and phone cameras are meant to be used outdoors; so logically such ambient temperatures should have been brought into the phone's standard operating conditions and pre-launch testing.

I really hope the dev team finds out that all this is some software glitch, and puts some fixes to get it report right and solve remaining heating issues with software updates. That's the happy scenario. But as consumers who're spending close to $1000 on this phone, you can see why it's hard to take this so lightly. And given it's happening to so many people, it doesn't seem like a few one-off hardware/manufacturing flaw, rather an endemic problem that reeks of a deeper design flaw, which is what truly worries me - have I indeed wasted my money? :(

Regarding the apps reporting overheat specifically, my guess is that this not an "app is reporting" thing really. Logically it should probably be be what the underlying Android system APIs are reporting that all these apps read off and display. When I generated my device logs & bug report (also to share with the OP team) and scanned through it, the raw logs pretty much read health=overheat across the board even at decent temperatures. So are we saying that the Android system is incapable of detecting dual cell batteries properly and the phones in fact are perfectly fine, and all this is just a software issue? Gosh, I'd be delighted if that were the case, and put everything to rest. We can all go back home happy. But it seems a little too dismissive to say this at this point. I find it strange that the OP dev team would totally miss this before launching to public..?! I'd imagine their lab tests are more thorough, or customers should have bigger worries!