Unified Op3 heating issues thread

1. G_Aman_Srivastava_Idkp
    Eclair Apr 14, 2017

2. MarkLR
    Jelly Bean Apr 14, 2017

MarkLR , Apr 14, 2017 :
    For the millionth time, the phone getting hot IS ENTIRELY NORMAL 99% of the time.
    Consider the following:
    • This phone is entirely made of METAL which is very heat conductive, as you probably know if you're over the age of 7
    • This phone has a very powerful CPU and other electronics inside it, and electronics are known to generate heat
    • We are in the hot season, and as you probably know if you live in a desert, in a volcano, or in India (or even here in Italy where the seasons no longer exist and it's basically summer in april) the temperatures are rising
    What does this make you think, children? Timmy, you got any clue? Little Jim over there, have you figured it out? What about you Sammy, did you get it?

That's right kids, the temps are rising because we're in summer and shit's getting hotter, especially metal shit which is heat conductive! Very clever, all of you! I'm sure you'll all end up becoming scientists when you grow up, even though you're all 30 years old already.

Now, even thought I'm going so simplify it a lot, I'm going to teach you something extremely hard to grasp, please stop reading if you don't have a master in theoretical physics, or your head might self combust for excessive neuron activity.

A phone has a CPU inside just like a computer, and when a CPU is doing a lot of work, it will draw more power. More power = more heat. More heat ≠ "I must annoy everyone on the Oneplus forum with another stupid muh phone hot plz help naughut thread". So as you probably figured out by now, if you browse the web, play a shitty game, or watch videos, your CPU will work hard and the phone will heat up. This is a good thing, because it means that heat is getting dissipated through the casing and not kept inside the phone, as it would happen with a non heat conductive material, such as glass.

IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH?

But there are some cases where your phone might have an issue, and the cases are as follows:
    • Phone turns off on its own due to heat. This might indicate an issue with the battery, or you didn't pay attention and you keep using your phone inside a volcano. In this case, you need to call support and tell them your phone shuts off, they will replace it.
    • Phone gets hot while it's not doing anything, ie, sitting in your pocket. This means some app has locked up and using the CPU to 100%. So your problem is not the heating but an app causing the heating. In this case, you must identify the app that's locking up your CPU, and to do so, look at the battery graph. As I explained above, the heating is a CONSEQUENCE OF CPU USAGE not a CAUSE, so if you open your little thread about this and just say da phon is hut naugut plz halp we are not going to be able to help you.
    Unless you fall into one of these two situations, you don't have a problem so deal with it, take a walk, and most importantly stfu.

Also, here's my experience: when I bought the phone I was testing it for stability, and it was summer (I bought it in June and the temps here were nearly 40C and very humid), I tried to overheat it on purpose by playing Asphalt 8 and running 3DMark over and over while also dash charging to try and overheat it, and yes the phone got really really hot, like almost scary-hot, but it still worked just fine. So shut up with this non-issue already, you've annoyed everyone and on top of that made a fool out of yourself.

I hope this was useful. Have a nice day.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

3. varma246
    Lollipop Apr 14, 2017

varma246 , Apr 14, 2017 :
    Let's agree to disagree....... Just kidding.

Totally nailed it[e]1f44d[/e].

4. fonzobreaker
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 14, 2017

Wahoux likes this.
  5. prakash1986
    Gingerbread Apr 14, 2017

prakash1986 , Apr 14, 2017 :
    In physics, power is the rate of doing work. It is the amount of energy consumed or produced per unit time.Therefore, more POWER ≠ more HEAT

Vedant620 likes this.
  6. ahkamul_arnob
    Cupcake Apr 14, 2017

7. danielck
    Honeycomb Apr 14, 2017

danielck , Apr 14, 2017 :
    can someone provide a tl;dr?
    you know that the heating issue happened after people updated to 4.1.3? and they did not encounter the same level or frequency of overheating while doing similar tasks with their phone. people who have done clean flash, who have tried clearing cache and factory resetting are experiencing this.

8. 36dbldz
    Honeycomb Apr 14, 2017

36dbldz , Apr 14, 2017 :
    you should do a post about all these: when will i get an official OTA im on 3.1.2 shit, and how VPN is the answer

9. AbhiKudo
    Cupcake Apr 14, 2017

AbhiKudo , Apr 14, 2017 :
    I feel the little heating i experienced on 4.0.3 has vanished. Check for background sync and wipe system and app cache after every update
    Cheers

10. danielck
    Honeycomb Apr 14, 2017

danielck , Apr 14, 2017 :
    what's vpn? I'm using OnePlus's oneplus X and running on 2.3.1 gingerbread i think. how do i get to Android 8.0 Oreo?

11. _DEDSEC_
    Jelly Bean Apr 14, 2017

_DEDSEC_ , Apr 14, 2017 :
    Me and by Brother discussed the exact cause of heat issue is the Space grade aluminum, I come here to see you have mentioned it made me think you where my brother :)

12. _DEDSEC_
    Jelly Bean Apr 14, 2017

_DEDSEC_ , Apr 14, 2017 :
    A computer's CPU works by either enabling electric signals to pass through its microscopic transistors or by blocking them. As electricity passes through the CPU or gets blocked inside, it gets turned into heat energy. Thus in tech world Power = RAM,CPU,HDD and GPU making the device as powerful as it should.
    P=T/W

varma246 likes this.
  13. rahuldw181
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 14, 2017

rahuldw181 , Apr 14, 2017 :
    I know the issue of heating
    but I was unaware about indian temperature is equal to desert temperature. for so many years we were living in desert. we were told that India has four seasons

prakash1986 likes this.
  14. AlphaCygni
    Honeycomb Apr 14, 2017

AlphaCygni , Apr 14, 2017 :
    It's more likely due to defective batch of the Snapdragon 821 chips. Some devices barely get hot (if at all).

15. kartik104
    Eclair Apr 14, 2017

16. SuhailAhmad
    Gingerbread Apr 14, 2017

17. dimitriskalaf
    Cupcake Apr 14, 2017

18. grk007
    Honeycomb Apr 14, 2017

grk007 , Apr 14, 2017 :
    Comparing to last version..Yes..It has heating issue while streaming videos and while playing games and while charging..It's was pretty gud before.. and for everyone who want to experience this issue..Use phone naked without any case for a day.. install cpuz and notice the thermal heat readings on charging for maximum shoot up.. anyway I can overcome this heat by adding Spigen case..

19. F_William_Kaserton_yuQD
    Cupcake Apr 14, 2017

20. blackdemon19190
    Gingerbread Apr 14, 2017

blackdemon19190 , Apr 14, 2017 :
    Hello everyone, yesterday i updated my phone to oxygen 4.1.3 and noticed amazing improvement in EIS when u used 1080p 60fps setting
    however since then i have been facing heating issues, even a minute of camera use causes heating on my phone.
    Is anyone experiencing the same?
    Any suggestions are appreciated
    Thanks in advance