[UNIFIED] OP6 Battery/Heating Issues and Tips: Share Your Stats, SOT & How To Improve Battery Life !

1. Aoife.L
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

Aoife.L , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Having the exact same issue! What is going on? It started for me yesterday before the update. I went to sleep last night with at least 60% battery, woke up to 5%. Normally it might have dropped to maybe around 45%-50%, but this is just not right! I don't know if anyone else has the same issue, but it seems the play store is what is using the battery. I've tried clearing the cache but it makes no difference!

T1594842717738 likes this.
  2. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Aug 9, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Check the edit in @nicolamsgm has posted above
    "Edit: cleared Google play services cache and rebooted as @dannyoreilly95 suggested and device is noticeably cooler now. Thanks Danny, will see how the battery lasts now."

If that doesn't fix it try the steps below

Do a Full Factory Reset

This will restore you to a fresh installation of Android. So you will need to backup your phone.

After Backing up the phone.

Go to Settings,
    System,
    Reset Options,
    Enable Erase Internal Storage.

Then click on the Delete All Data button.

Once done, use the phone for a couple of days without adding apps to check for issues with just the raw fresh OOS only.

Only introduce previous 3rd party apps gradually over 2 weeks to see if any particular app or apps drain the battery

For more info on how to backup your phone, check the solutions here.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/18/how-to-back-up-your-android-phone-before-a-factory-reset/

And here

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-backup-apps-and-other-ways-too-608014/

[e]2b07[/e]️[e]2b07[/e]️[e]2b07[/e]️[e]2b07[/e]️NEXT[e]2b07[/e]️[e]2b07[/e]️[e]2b07[/e]️[e]2b07[/e]️

Try to Optimize the phone, clear your recent apps, also set 3rd party apps to Optimize in Settings Battery, only leave the ones you need run in the background or to notify you such as messages, email, Google Services, oneplus etc on Intelligent control.

Android may take a few days to optimize those apps after setting them to Optimize depending on your usage of those apps. A10 has its own learning curve.

Go through 2 to 3 charge cycles, leave on charge beyond full capacity for a couple of hours. Preferably overnight.

After a few days, Check App battery stats at about 50% and see if there are particular apps using more resources than necessary.

A definitive guide to everything that affects smartphone battery life

https://www.androidauthority.com/smartphone-battery-life-drain-causes-1071423/

OP6T Battery and Heating Thread

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/unified-op6t-battery-and-heating-thread.952987/

Aoife.L likes this.
  3. Saurabh1522
    Eclair Aug 9, 2020

4. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Aug 9, 2020

And the suggestion I gave in the post above yours also applies. Have you tried it yet?

5. odonohgp
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

odonohgp , Aug 9, 2020 :
    I'm experiencing same with oneplus 7 pro

How can you back up the phone? Is a pc or another phone needed?

6. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Aug 9, 2020

Links are given above to guide you on Backing up the phone, there are many options.

Personally I backup my files to a laptop, and all the other items such as Contacts, Call logs, Texts, photos, apps etc are synced to my Google Account on Google Drive and Google Photos

7. veray
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

veray , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Same happens here since yesterday with one plus 7t..less than 2h since the charge.

8. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Aug 9, 2020

And yet this is the 6 series thread. What's with all the 7 series phones being quoted here.

Anyway try the steps above in my previous post [e]2b06[/e]️[e]2b06[/e]️, either that or check on 7 series threads.

9. Devaneye
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

G1534187042168 likes this.
  10. Aoife.L
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

Aoife.L , Aug 9, 2020 :
    OK cool ill give that a try and see if it helps! Thank you!

Caomhin likes this.
  11. donchanhype
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

donchanhype , Aug 9, 2020 :
    One Plus 6 here, having the same issues as everyone else, phone overheating as of yesterday. Really strange that so many people have had this issue starting around the same time. Hopefully it gets sorted soon!

G1534187042168 likes this.
  12. G1534187042168
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

G1534187042168 , via OnePlus 6 , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Thanks, removing the Google play cache and rebooting has helped. My phone is no longer hot.

dannyoreilly95 likes this.
  13. Kmcgowan
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

Kmcgowan , Aug 9, 2020 :
    I have the exact same issue with my one plus 6, cleared the Google play cache and restarted like you said in the comments but battery is still draining quickly and phone is extremely hot.

I feel a full factory reset is ridiculous for a bug that was in your new update, is one plus not working to fix this? It's obviously a problem that everyone is experiencing. I'm on the verge of just buying a new phone, and it won't be a One Plus

Devaneye likes this.
  14. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Aug 9, 2020

All users here same as you, no one from OnePlus here.

Nope, if everyone was experiencing it, it would be in this thread every minute of the day and it's not. My 6T runs fine as do the majority of phones.

If you don't want to reset the Report the issue directly to OnePlus Developers as a Bug report.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...uct-suggestions-on-oneplus-community.1002970/

And also contact OnePlus support directly to see if they have more information on your issue. Scroll down the page for contact and online chat details.

https://www.oneplus.com/support

15. gagomes
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

gagomes , Aug 9, 2020 :
    There is some form of "update" (or bug) that has caused this. The obvious pathologies are:

* overheating
    * Slow battery re-charge

Knowing a tiny bit about software engineering, I would not be surprised if there is some check to auto-regulate the battery charging speed, depending on internal temperature to avoid potential explosions, so it's possible that once we fix whatever is causing the temp to go up (which may be an app or kernel/driver update for all we know) the slow battery charge will regulate back to normal. In principle, this could be tested by letting the phone powered down for a few hours, then try to charge it and measure how long it take to go from single digit percentage to 90+.. but this may not tell the whole picture.

16. dav_mcg
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

dav_mcg , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Legend, that did the job for me.

dannyoreilly95 likes this.
  17. gagomes
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

gagomes , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Thanks, but I did not find this making a noticeable difference to the battery drain and even with regards to overheating, it's hard to tell exactly

18. Sean_Kelly_
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

Sean_Kelly_ , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Hey guys, don't think anyone has said this on here yet but I was experiencing the same problems and asked some friends if they were experiencing the same and they were.
    Most of you appear to also be Irish, this issue is happening because of the COVID-19 tracker app. They're working on a fix but for now it's best to uninstall the app and delete your play services cache. I did this and my phone is working as normal now.

19. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Aug 9, 2020

Yes am from Ireland, Don't have the Covid app installed. But it should show in Battery stats which app is using battery.

Have heard issues with many other phones running this Irish Covid app, as Bluetooth is on most of the time for it to work, also using the Google Covid background service used to collate the data.

Nice find 😎[e]1f44d[/e]

20. Shiv_Raj2304
    Cupcake Aug 13, 2020

Shiv_Raj2304 , Aug 13, 2020 :
    Got my Oneplus 6 in October 2018. Been almost 2 years. (1 year and 10 months).
    79% Serious Loss.
    What do i do?
    1597324613323.jpg