[UNIFIED] Op6t battery and heating thread

1. Hojjat
    Froyo Jan 24, 2019

Hojjat , Jan 24, 2019 :
    Moderator Edit:

To help us better resolve battery/heating-related issues, please submit a bug report [HERE]. Thank you in advance.
    1. Please use this thread for any issues, questions, tips and all things related to battery and heating.
    2. You can ask a moderator to pin a post with battery tips to be shown on the first page of this thread.
    ================================

I normally don't believe the Battery Health Apps. But I've grown fond of AccuBattery. I used to use it with my nexus 6, and I even replaced my nexus battery and the app was accurate and recognized that I'm using a new battery with higher capacity.
    However when it comes to my OP 6T, it says that the battery is at 86% health. I recently flashed the ROM from T-mobile to Global version and the app still says that the battery 86% of its capacity.
    Should I be worried?

1548311175892.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2020

2. Sidhaarth mutreja
    Gingerbread Jan 24, 2019

Sidhaarth mutreja , Jan 24, 2019 :
    mine is at 90% bought it on 2nd November, always charge your phone till 80% and once a month to 100% and you will be good to go

3. Hojjat
    Froyo Jan 24, 2019

Hojjat , Jan 24, 2019 :
    I always charge to 80%. And once in a while I forget and it charges to 100%. But it's weird that my 3700mah battery is only 3200mah.

Skyakash02 and love1plus1specs like this.
  4. Sidhaarth mutreja
    Gingerbread Jan 24, 2019

5. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Jan 24, 2019

Discostu , Jan 24, 2019 :
    hey thanks for introducing this app! it's awesome and have just downloaded it. Will see what the results say over the next few weeks

6. Hojjat
    Froyo Jan 24, 2019

Hojjat , Jan 24, 2019 :
    Actually I have been using it for months now. I just recently flashed a new ROM that's why the number of sessions are low. However it was a similar number before the flash too.

love1plus1specs likes this.
  7. bpwest80
    KitKat Jan 24, 2019

bpwest80 , Jan 24, 2019 :
    AccuBattery doesn't report accurate battery stats on the 6T. It's something to do with the way the phone reports battery. If you don't believe me email the dev and he'll tell you the same thing he told me. It's not the app, it's the phone.

8. Deactivated User
    Jan 24, 2019

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2019

9. Kruemelfelix
    Honeycomb Jan 24, 2019

Kruemelfelix , Jan 24, 2019 :
    Use Greenify with Root access to force apps to go to deep sleep. The Playstore runs like any other Google app in the background since they aren‘t affected by Androids battery management and are deep implemented in the System.

10. Deactivated User
    Jan 24, 2019

11. Kruemelfelix
    Honeycomb Jan 25, 2019

Kruemelfelix , Jan 25, 2019 :
    Then you won‘t have the chance to use things like aggressive doze.

I even don‘t know why anyone would prefer a non rooted phone? Rooting is so easy nowadays

12. Hojjat
    Froyo Jan 26, 2019

Hojjat , Jan 26, 2019 :
    Here is the response that I got from AccuBattery:

The estimates are most accurate when you do a manual benchmark like this: https://accubattery.zendesk.com/hc/...How-to-manually-benchmark-your-battery-health

It looks at the maximum mAh that can go into the battery when you go from completely empty to completely full and it's pretty accurate because the numbers come from the phone's battery management chipset and you're not going to be able to get more out of the battery than what you put in. The health screen gives a decent estimate but it doesn't account for things such as the phone's battery % showing 100% before it's completely full, it's also affected by having too little data points, sessions that are too short being less accurate, and too many old data points (though we will be adjusting the calculation to only use more recent data later on).

Quick chargers can be programmed differently so I've heard a few users mention that they got better results with a slow charger, you can do a manual benchmark with both to check if there's a difference, the higher number will be the better estimate of your battery capacity but it would also mean that the other charger doesn't completely fill up the battery.

One last thing is to check the history page for the manual benchmark charging session after completing the benchmark. We ask for a wakelock while charging but we recently found out some manufacturers ignored this. If your charging session's screen on minutes + screen off minutes is very different from the total minutes then you will get a lower estimate even with the manual benchmark and I suggest trying again when our next update comes out as it includes an attempted workaround for this issue.

Sidhaarth mutreja likes this.
  13. bpwest80
    KitKat Jan 26, 2019

bpwest80 , Jan 26, 2019 :
    I'll try it again once their next update comes out. Until then, AccuBattery can't be counted on, on the 6T.

14. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Jan 26, 2019

anupritaisno1 , Jan 26, 2019 :
    This is wrong

You should charge your phone to 100% and leave it on the charger if you can

15. Sidhaarth mutreja
    Gingerbread Jan 26, 2019

Sidhaarth mutreja , Jan 26, 2019 :
    you should never do that , seriously even samnsung said it offically that you should never fully charge your phone , and should do that only once a month for recalibration

Hima_Sumanth likes this.
  16. Hojjat
    Froyo Jan 26, 2019

Hojjat , Jan 26, 2019 :

anupritaisno1

This is wrong

You should charge your phone to 100% and leave it on the charger if you can​

Back in the days when batteries were made of Nickle-Cadmium charging to 100% and then draining to 0% was a good idea and it would restore and recalibrate your battery. However with Lithium batteries that's a horrible thing to do.
    Lithium batteries are the happiest when they are at 40% charge (that's why when you turn on your new phone it's 40% not 0% or 100%).
    With Lithium batteries you should not let it drain all the way or charge all the way.
    Tesla cars charge to 80% by default unless you want to go on a trip.
    Apps like AccuBattery help not to wear the battery and extend its life by letting you know when to disconnect the charger.

17. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Jan 27, 2019

anupritaisno1 , Jan 27, 2019 :

Official Google documentation

IMG_20190127_103127_776.jpg
    https://source.android.com/devices/tech/dalvik/configure
    Google expects users to fully charge their devices

Screenshot_20190127-103322_Chrome.png
    There is no official statement from Samsung that tells users not to charge to 100%

Now read this article

If you use the community app these links won't open
    Use a browser instead
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/closed-battery-performance.911024/#post-19181266

Further reading

A thread created just to tell users not to wipe cache:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/stop-wiping-cache.978788/

I have explained what the cache partition does here: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/one-plus-5-lags-after-9-0.974976/page-3#post-19739253

Here's an explanation about how dash charge causes battery drain because users don't realise that their phone needs to be left at 100% on a charger for a few hours otherwise they will face battery drain
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/request-to-bring-a-update.974731/#post-19736894

You still want to tell me you know more than a person who develops android everyday?

If you do not let this optimisation happen you will have battery drain anyway so the battery you're trying to save is already gone. Even if supposedly charging your phone to 100% was bad you'll lose that battery anyway because you are not letting the system optimise so either way you gain nothing

Also for arguments: do not link to articles written by idiots on the internet. Link to code or just don't argue

Creaco likes this.
  18. Sidhaarth mutreja
    Gingerbread Jan 27, 2019

Sidhaarth mutreja , Jan 27, 2019 :
    I'm not able to find the Samsung statement , but I did read it somewhere,
    and here's a link for you too

https://www.androidauthority.com/maximize-battery-life-882395/

19. Sidhaarth mutreja
    Gingerbread Jan 27, 2019

Sidhaarth mutreja , Jan 27, 2019 :
    anyway, to each his own, you can charge how you want to ,and I will however I want to,
    I used to have 3t before 6t, used to charge like this ,only short cycles (20-80) , and guess what it's still rocking great atleast the battery is, it wouldn't have happened if I charged it the other way.

20. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Jan 27, 2019

anupritaisno1 , Jan 27, 2019 :
    I think I said this

"Do not link to articles written by idiots"

I really hate it when people don't read

Please give an official statement from Samsung or don't even try to argue

Read this carefully: