uninstalling Google photos

1. PeAnWi
    Cupcake Jun 30, 2019

PeAnWi , Jun 30, 2019 :
    I disabled Google photos on my OnePlus 7 pro now many times. Whenever Google updates photos, it is back on my phone. I wonder if anybody has that mystery resolved? I am quite happy with OnePlus' gallery, so I don't want to have it on my phone. Thanks, Peter

2. Ever7p
    Froyo Jul 1, 2019

Ever7p , Jul 1, 2019 :
    You would have to Root your phone and then just grab System App Remover from the play store. Or you can just hide the app from the app drawer and ignore it. The op7pro has a lot of memory so 1 app won't really make a difference.

3. Swejuggalo
    Lollipop Jul 2, 2019

Swejuggalo , Jul 2, 2019 :
    It should not update a disabled app. The trick is to make sure that Google Play knows it is disabled and just don't see the downgrade to factory version.
    For me it works as it should. Try this. Open Google play and search for updates. Disable the app and reboot. Does it still update the app?

4. ArmxVogel
    Donut Jul 12, 2019

ArmxVogel , Jul 12, 2019 :
    I have the same issue on oneplus 6, with photos app and youtube app. I disable then but they just return. it started like a month ago.

5. Swejuggalo
    Lollipop Jul 12, 2019

Swejuggalo , Jul 12, 2019 :
    Try this. Turn of mobile data and wifi. Disable. Wait a while or possible reboot. Connect again.

6. ArmxVogel
    Donut Jul 12, 2019

ArmxVogel , Jul 12, 2019 :
    I tried that. Now lets wait to see what happens. Tks

7. ArmxVogel
    Donut Jul 13, 2019

ArmxVogel , Jul 13, 2019 :
    Just an update. Didnt workerd out.

8. Swejuggalo
    Lollipop Jul 13, 2019

Swejuggalo , Jul 13, 2019 :
    Really strange. I can't see why it happens.
    Don't know if the adb method makes any differance. Turn of auto update on Google Photos and try this command.

adb shell pm disable-user com.google.android.apps.photos

This works on apps that normally does not have a working disable button. If you want to go back type enable instead of disable-user.

I had this problem on some devices before. But it only happened right after disabling and once it stopped trying to update the disabled app it never tried it again.

9. Syaoran
    Gingerbread Jul 16, 2019

Syaoran , Jul 16, 2019 :
    I prefer to use the pm uninstall command to remove it. It will still show in a package info app because it is in the ROM's backup, but it will show as uninstalled.

10. ArmxVogel
    Donut Jul 16, 2019

ArmxVogel , Jul 16, 2019 :
    I used a similar solution with the comand:

adb shell pm uninstall –user 0

So far so good. I hope it works.

Tks

11. ArmxVogel
    Donut Jul 16, 2019

ArmxVogel , Jul 16, 2019 :
    Exactly

12. denvrg
    Cupcake May 22, 2020

denvrg , May 22, 2020 :
    I am also having this problem on my Oneplus 6, three times so far, but it only started a few days ago a little while after going back to the stable update path for this model of phone. I personally believe it is the play store that is automatically downloading updates for apps in the background even though I have automatic updates disabled. I was also having trouble uninstalling it since most times I would try to uninstall through adb it would give an error saying it was uninstalled when it wasn't, it was just disabled. This last attempt with slightly different syntax given above seems to have worked as the app no longer appears in the system. Fingers crossed I've managed to keep it away this time.