[Unofficial Let's Talk] OnePlus TV feature ideas

1. ravijain87
    Gingerbread Sep 17, 2018

ravijain87 , Sep 17, 2018 :
    Hi all,

I figured given the recent announcement around a OnePlus TV and that Pete Lau has stated that there is a five year vision to get the best from the platform, that it would be interesting to see what ideas the community has around features that could be included in the new OnePlus TV platform?

What features do you think would make a OnePlus TV stand out from the competition?

This is not an official Lets Talk, but lets try and keep to the same guidelines, ie posts of 300 – 1000 words. Have fun, debate with each other, and let the knowledge flow!

Regards,

Ravi

2. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Sep 17, 2018

Bouncer71 , Sep 17, 2018 :
    You go first...
    Tell me what the TV should have that other Brands haven´t already got that I don´t use... :confused:

3. ravijain87
    Gingerbread Sep 17, 2018

In the vain of going first, these are the things that I can think of:

Camera for Face Detection (unique login):

Utilising a camera built into the TV, different members of the family could automatically be logged into the TV when they turn it on using the same technology as the face detection in the latest OnePlus phones. This would mean that each person gets the benefit of customising the UI and signing on to their own accounts for streaming platforms. This would lead to a more customised experience for each member of the family. This could also be useful to create children's accounts that limits to age appropriate content.

AOD display:
    If utilising and OLED panel, this could be a feature that places minimal but useful content on the screen (when it detects that someone is in front of the screen using the camera above). Given potential panel life and burn in issues you might not want this feature on all the time when there is no one in front of the TV. The content itself could be customised to more than just the date and time but also include a ticker feed of latest news or other useful information.

OSS customised Android TV:
    This might be a given but there are different options for the user interface. Having the latest version of Android TV on the platform would allow people to use multiple streaming services on top of live TV and wouldn't need OnePlus to work with different content providers to provide apps specific to their platform.

Powerful SOC:
    OnePlus has generally steered towards more powerful devices. Having a powerful SOC in their TV could mean it could also play Android games natively.

Gaming Controler:
    Speaking of which, a gaming controller could be bundled or sold as a separate add-on if people want to make use of a powerful SOC to play games.

4. ravijain87
    Gingerbread Sep 17, 2018

This is the big question. What idea's can we generate that could / would give OnePlus a USP (unique selling point) compared to any other TV out there on the market???

Vladut123 likes this.
  5. meatandy
    Oreo Sep 17, 2018

meatandy , Sep 17, 2018 :
    Sorry but I really don't want a television taking my picture 24/7 , this concept seems creepy to me.

6. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Sep 17, 2018

dsmonteiro , Sep 17, 2018 :
    Why would I want a camera on my living room that raises important privacy questions?

Android TV is very limited when it comes to customization.

7. ravijain87
    Gingerbread Sep 17, 2018

That's fair,

I think Samsung did something similar a few years back and the bad part was it was actually sending data back to Samsung servers.

If the idea could be used whilst providing assurances of consumer data protection / privacy then it could work but I get that it wouldn't be for everyone.

Vladut123 likes this.
  8. ravijain87
    Gingerbread Sep 17, 2018

I think the implementation of any such system would be very important because of said privacy concerns. One potential solution would be to match OOS face detection where if the camera can't find a face it recognises after 10 seconds it times out and doesn't work after that. Pairing a Camera with Android apps would then allow the option for video calling apps to be used if people wanted that.

I have heard it's not the best platform but with each update it gets better. My through process here was whether OnePlus would have the OEM power to create a new platform and get enough content creater buy-in to that platform to develop customised apps for it. We know Android gets far more frequent app updates from Amazon, Netflix etc than WebOS or other TV specific platforms.

Vladut123 likes this.
  9. V1534833900807
    Froyo Sep 17, 2018

V1534833900807 , Sep 17, 2018 :
    Wow how many words! I thought we talked about phones and discussion, getting so many TV's no more room [e]1f602[/e]

Vladut123 likes this.
  10. Bouncer71

not a TV I would buy...

So you want us to reimagine the field of Television so they can make big bucks...?
    Seriously, if I had the perfect idea how, I'd get a patent on it... ;D

dalmia09 and Vladut123 like this.
  11. V1534833900807
    Froyo Sep 17, 2018

TV'S are as anything else. Specifications and how you make use of it.
    Unless you can add taste and smell out of the five senses, what's not already there.

Bouncer71 and Vladut123 like this.
  12. ravijain87
    Gingerbread Sep 17, 2018

One other thought I've had, given that TV's these days are basically just mini computers and especially those with Android TV being the same as a Android phone in many ways.

TV with unlockable bootloader and same developer friendly approach?

I have seen over on XDA that people have looked to do it in the past but there is no TV OEM that allows unlocked bootloaders and rooting as standard.

It could be interesting to see how developers could push a TV past it's initial capabilities and add more fine tuning via Kcal and other methods to tweak how the display looks etc?

Vladut123 likes this.
  13. G_Vivek_Dhakal_SMYA
    Gingerbread Sep 17, 2018

G_Vivek_Dhakal_SMYA , Sep 17, 2018 :
    Companies these days are after devices that can consume most people's data, and after Phone and computer comes the TV. Face login in TV is a big no.

I wish the TV was simple to use, yet did most intuitive jobs well. Such as:
    > video chat (that now feels like video conferencing)
    > plug-and-play mouse/keyboard combos
    > project phone media to TV (as an extended mode, without running same video on both screens)
    > Android TV + browser
    > native notification mirroring (such as pushbullet works)

Aman Singh gurjar and Vladut123 like this.
  14. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Sep 17, 2018

theshinybeast , Sep 17, 2018 :
    Exactly. It would need a mic as well, always watching and always listening. That would be perfect.:rolleyes:

15. ravijain87
    Gingerbread Sep 17, 2018

Hey buddy,

Anything you would like to see from a OnePlus TV? It's clear to see that people don't like the idea of a camera on the TV but anything else come to mind?

Vladut123 likes this.
  16. Intruder71
    Lollipop Sep 17, 2018

Intruder71 , Sep 17, 2018 :
    Yeah for them not to waste their time in such a saturated market..

17. V1534833900807
    Froyo Sep 17, 2018

of course that assumes that you have no WiFi provision,as far as data goes I tend to store in cloud applications and even using my phone as a hotspot is no problem as long as supervised as to access.

18. V1534833900807
    Froyo Sep 17, 2018

as the Bard once said"therein lies the rub"[e]1f602[/e]
    Having been involved in inside development with both Google and Microsoft, you are asking how large is a ball of string and I am not theorising.

eye842 and Bouncer71 like this.
  19. Bouncer71

Interesting content...

What to do with an high-tech Display including all that fancy hardware specs if there's nothing on to watch...

From May to September my TV had an SOT of about 50 hours...

TV is plain out boring...
    Yeah, there's some good movies or series...
    But most of the stuff is a copy of a copy of a copy of a yawn....

meatandy, dalmia09 and V1534833900807 like this.
  20. srambtech
    Gingerbread Sep 17, 2018