[Unofficial Let's Talk] OnePlus TV feature ideas

1. Sujknair
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 18, 2018

Sujknair , Sep 18, 2018 :
    Was meant as a joke, seeing the number of threads complaining about cast. Ah, well.

eye842 and Bouncer71 like this.
  2. showstopper197
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 18, 2018

showstopper197 , Sep 18, 2018 :
    In my opinion, customers don't want any Usp from OnePlus. If oneplus wants to prove a point, then release a TV with absolutely same configuration as rest at a better price..!!!

Aman Singh gurjar likes this.
  3. ravijain87
    Gingerbread Sep 18, 2018

ravijain87 , Sep 18, 2018 :
    Pete has been talking to PC Mag and has confirmed it will be a 4K LED display so won't be OLED. That should be it will be capable of higher brightness but don't have the pitch blacks of OLED. It will depend on which display panel they buy and from whom to see how good it is.

It's also interesting that they are saying they will "develop its own image processing chipsets and algorithms". That's also an interesting development as OnePlus currently don't have any experience in this area. Full article below:

https://uk.pcmag.com/oppo-bdp-103/117432/news/oneplus-ceo-explains-why-his-company-is-making-a-tv

4. V1534833900807
    Froyo Sep 18, 2018

V1534833900807 , Sep 18, 2018 :
    Firefox and Mozilla support, I use as a browser on a simple USB port.
    Access Google and Microsoft.
    Perhaps Roku, though for me Dark Web is a contentious issue.
    Rooting is more involved with the ability to download to an SD or hard drive, again easily done with most TV's, take a Sky Box memory and download whatever you want.
    At the end of the day,IT is designed by very dedicated professionals who are constantly developing new innovative apps.
    Perhaps one of the biggest issues at the moment is the true integration of Android and AI.
    Certainly I find the thread has raised some interesting issues whilst at the same time highlighting the concerns of many people.
    I wonder what the term Orwellian Era raises for people.
    A donut like myself from the Babbige era has a hard time stopping bot crawlers tracking my every move,facial recognition and surveillance surrounds us all and the humble television is indeed now becoming an extension of the high tech industry,we live in an era of rapid change.

5. G_Vivek_Dhakal_SMYA
    Gingerbread Sep 18, 2018

G_Vivek_Dhakal_SMYA , Sep 18, 2018 :
    The gist of saying OnePlus will develop its own algorithms is this:
    Since they are using a big name OS (Android OS) and external producer for display, what would their contribution be to the TV??? "Some chipsets and algorithms and OnePlus phone integration will be ours, along with the profit margin" ;)

6. rszuster
    Cupcake Sep 18, 2018

rszuster , Sep 18, 2018 :
    How about a plain screen version, without speakers ?
    If you have a proper audio system you would never miss it and can save some bucks and space from the unit.
    I would also like to have voice commands, integration with doorbell and security cameras, and easy video calling with camera tracking.
    Kids would also love to be able to record themselves and apply AR filters watching themselves in the big screen instead of a small phone...

7. MAD 123
    Cupcake Sep 18, 2018

MAD 123 , Sep 18, 2018 :

8. MAD 123
    Cupcake Sep 18, 2018

9. NavinThomsy
    Froyo Sep 18, 2018

NavinThomsy , Sep 18, 2018 :
    Why not a fingerprint reader on the remote instead of a face unlock which a lot of us are paranoid about?
    And also touch/swipe gestures on the remote instead of pressing buttons.
    I would also like to see wireless audio support which allows you to enjoy TV without disturbing others/or getting disturbed due to external noise.

10. MartyR.
    Eclair Sep 29, 2018

MartyR. , Sep 29, 2018 :
    The perfect TV for me would have :
    - a 4k Oled Display,
    - a powerful Android TV like Nvidia Shield tv
    - an optional SSD for dvr,
    - menu with few settings possibility but offering a great picture like Loewe's TV
    - no speakers but an optional (wireless) soundbar
    - 4 hdmi 2.1 connectors and at least one of them would be an arc hdmi
    - Bluetooth and wi-fi equipped
    - a great refresh rate
    - usb type c connectors
    - hardware upgrade possibility like some Samsung TV

Wouldn't it be great if all the connectors and the hardware was in a deported box or even better in the soundbar?
    You just would buy a new box, or soundbar if you need to upgrade the hardware

11. G_Karthik_Shanmugam_mtYp
    Cupcake Sep 29, 2018

G_Karthik_Shanmugam_mtYp , Sep 29, 2018 :
    An excellent 4K display with HDMI port is all needed. No smart bullshit. TV lasts many more years than phones, my present Sony Bravia is now 9 years old. No company is going to bother to keep the software updated for that long.

Ideal solution would be a reasonably priced 4K display + SmartBox (upgraded every two / three years) with all the software that drives the smart features.

As for the panel, I'd like a 4K, OLED, 120Hz, HDR10 supported panel made by LG.

12. elanglois
    Lollipop Oct 27, 2018

elanglois , Oct 27, 2018 :
    The easiest way to solve the privacy issue is by providing a manual or motorized "shutter" that covers the camera when its not in use.

The bad part is that you will need a much larger bezel to hide a camera in.

13. V1534833900807
    Froyo Oct 27, 2018

V1534833900807 , Oct 27, 2018 :
    perhaps the camera usage unless authorised in settings should be linked to fingerprint response so that only the recognised owner can authorize the camera being accessed directly.

14. elanglois
    Lollipop Oct 27, 2018

You don't understand.

If the company is going to secretly spy on you through the camera, why the hell would they respect the settings in the device? And why the hell would they put a fingerprint sensor on a TV???

The only way to be sure the camera isn't looking at you is with a physical shutter blocking it.

15. V1534833900807
    Froyo Oct 27, 2018

with respect to your own security settings, I am not in the habit of spying on anybody or allowing them to do so on me.
    The sensor naturally would not be on the camera lens, wouldn't want a finger print.

16. ravijain87
    Gingerbread Oct 27, 2018

ravijain87 , Oct 27, 2018 :
    I mean if you have such an opinion of OnePlus, what would you be doing on their forums?

17. elanglois
    Lollipop Oct 27, 2018

What brand of stupid are you?

Are you aware that hackers broke in to thousands of home routers all over the world and then used vulnerabilities in those systems to send out attacks. According to the FBI, they may have been able to view any unencrypted traffic as well. If your TV gets hacked, do you think the hackers will respect the privacy settings? If the manufacturer wants to secretly and illegally spy on users, do you think the manufacturer's own privacy settings will stop them??

What exactly will a fingerprint sensor do?? How does it do anything useful at all? And why do I want to get up and touch my TV? I don't even sit up to reach my remote. Why put down my pizza and beer to hold a remote when I can have my Google Home do whatever I want? And you want me to walk to the TV and touch a fingerprint sensor??? WHY??

18. utsav17
    Honeycomb Oct 27, 2018

utsav17 , Oct 27, 2018 :
    tbh OnePlus has no feature patent to them. just gives all android features made by google with lil modification

19. V1534833900807
    Froyo Oct 27, 2018

having respect is exactly why I comment,why are you concerned about what I said?

20. ravijain87
    Gingerbread Oct 27, 2018

ravijain87 , Oct 27, 2018 :
    Hey buddy,

I didn't quote you and I wasn't questioning you. There is a view that OnePlus would illegally spy on owners of the device if it had a camera in it. If a company would engage in such practices, I'm not sure why we are focusing on the camera because they would be doing that regardless then?

Either you trust the companies you are buying the product's you are buying or you don't. If you don't then you shouldn't purchase their product's, not suggest they don't add a feature because you would be concerned they would use it to conduct illegal activities?

That's my take on it anyway.