Unofficial Week In Review: Vol. 2 Issue 12: A New Flagship Killer, Camera Improvement and RP Points

1. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Jun 20, 2021

Tokolozi , Jun 20, 2021 :
    Hello Everyone! Another week passed, and thus it’s time for another WIR for you to read. It’ll be my first run in writing it, so let’s hope it meets the quality already put up by my “colleagues” in previous weeks. Let’s get right into it with our first topic.

The Flagship Killer - Killer?
    upload_2021-6-20_7-53-18.png
    In the past week a new flagship killer was announced, and no, It’s not the new Nord CE 5G we all saw here already. Actually, this time around the great overlords at BBK decided to give this moniker to a Realme device, more precisely the Realme GT.

The GT seems to be aimed at the European market, and will be offering some impressive specifications, looks and pricing for users here. Realme will be offering a Snapdragon 888, 120Hz OLED, with an industry standard 64MP primary camera at the low price of just €369! With inflation and silicon shortage in mind… That easily makes us think back to when the original OPO was announced back in 2014 with it’s competitive pricing at €300.

I won’t go into details here, but if you want a more in-depth look at it, be sure to check out the Verge’s write up here

The hardware certainly looks compelling to me, but let’s see if the software can match a real flagship experience. Knowing BBK, there certainly will be some points to polish, but will these distract from the overall experience? For that we’ll need to wait and see some user experiences, anyone here willing to try it out?

Come (Back) To Mommy?
    upload_2021-6-20_7-53-42.png

Also for OnePlus there was some big news this week. You can read everything about it in Pete’s thread here.

But if you want the TL;DR: OnePlus will further merge with their ‘mother’ company OPPO. At least on the development side of things, since they won’t fully merge (yet?).

What will this mean for us users? Well the hope is that they can improve the quality of products and software provided. Maybe they’ll be able to match the monthly updates provided by the other big(ger) boys in the industry? According to them this should not impact anything of what makes the OnePlus community special, and they’ll keep up the communication with the community as before.

For me personally, I just hope the look and feel of OxygenOS doesn’t change drastically or at the very least doesn’t become a carbon copy of ColorOS. However, looking at the leaked internal notes here , I don’t think we’ll get to know this anytime soon. A few other users already voiced their concerns as well. One of the short lived complaints can be seen here, from our fellow user @Ankitpandey_001

Do you think this change is for the better, or are you displeased about this choice? You can always voice your thoughts here… or better yet in the the original announcement thread.

Camera Improvements

This week @Gary C. also brought some good news for the 9-series. In his thread here you can see how they put some improvements into the cameras of these devices. At first glance the improvements look good, and seem to focus on some rougher points addressed in the initial reviews of the devices. Many users are still waiting for the update however, so we’ll need to wait for a more field reports as this reaches more devices in the wild.

Maybe this is one of many camera-updates to follow, however if you want to let them know where to focus on, be sure to fill out the survey provided in Gary’s thread. Maybe combined with the OPPO-merger we’ll be able to see these kind of improvements on a more frequent basis?

It Was PUBG All Along…

In the past few weeks you were sure to notice a great amount of threads complaining on how they could not access the Android Data and OBB folders using the file manager(s) on the device. As you might know, this is due to Android 11’s Scoped storage implementation, blocking these files from your average user (and app) to improve user and data security in android. For most users, including myself this wasn’t an issue at all. In all my years using android I never really needed to do anything in these folders, so I could not comprehend why so many users were complaining about it all of the sudden…

Until finally a user responded to my request “WHY” he needs access to these. Turns out, the new Krafton Battlegrounds Beta install requires the user to paste some files in the OBB folder. You can see an example of it here.

I’m sure this is done to bypass some blocks in the play store for the app. But they might need to reconsider this move as more and more devices are moving to Android 11.

As for the users installing this, I wouldn’t be so eager in just randomly putting files in some of the core data folders of android… Who knows what the devs are doing that they need to bypass the play store like this to publish their application?

Invasion Of The RP Snatchers
    upload_2021-6-20_7-54-20.png

More and more high-value raffles are being held for the community. Just this week alone a lucky few can spend some of their unused RP on getting a brand-spanking-new OnePlus device. However, with these kind of actions it bound that a few users will try to abuse the RP-earning system. A notable few of these were noticed by by active users like @McJader and @Does!Compute

Let’s put the spotlight on some of these as our new Genius(es) of the week, as they clearly found a way to use the system purely for their benefit. In no particular ranking:

@Raza_Dawar - The First to be Noticed
    @Vinod Kumar Jain 1976 - Seems to have all the issues
    @Roxtarritesh - Master of the factory Reset
    @Pramod@0588 - Let’s try that again
    @Z1612187578731 - Not here for a nice user name, just RP
    …..​

Just look at their posting history to see how helpful these users are in the support section, posting just the required 3-posts a day to get their extra RP. I’m all for an active and helpful community, but the key here is “helpful”. It seems like most of these have a copy and paste response for every issue, often ignoring other solutions provided by members beforehand. Some of them don’t even care to find a solution, they just seem to have the same issues all other users have.

Do you think it’s fair that someone like this can rack up enough points to “buy” a device in the raffles? Or do you think we as a community should step-up against behaviour like this and see how this can improved in the future?

Wrapping Up

That’s it for this week! However, if you feel like we missed any major points that should have been included, be sure to let us know in the comments below! If you stumble across something we should include in next weeks’ review, be sure to let our editorial team, @B_Wrath @Shivang Joshi @BobbyV8_ @McJader or myself, know with a tag or a PM.

As always,
    thanks for reading and until next week!

Toko.

2. Pramod@0588
    Froyo Jun 20, 2021

3. abulfathah01
    Eclair Jun 20, 2021

4. Does!Compute
    KitKat Jun 20, 2021

Does!Compute , Jun 20, 2021 :
    Finally someone mentioned the RP-collectors. Now more people can report such accounts ;)
    Great WIR @Tokolozi :)

the_o2, Mr. BG, otto2 and 7 others like this.
  5. McJader
    Marshmallow Jun 20, 2021

McJader , Jun 20, 2021 :
    Nice, enjoyed reading it.
    The Geniuses of the week are noteworthy and more and more of these spammers are popping up every day, and some with two accounts apparently. The Community team needs to find a solution for this menace.
    Anywho, one Genius has replied though he seems to have no idea what the thread is about 🤣

the_o2, pkg3107, Bobbie63 and 6 others like this.
  6. Pramod@0588
    Froyo Jun 20, 2021

7. Tokolozi

I like how he read the entire thread in less than a 20s!

8. Pramod@0588
    Froyo Jun 20, 2021

Pramod@0588 , via OnePlus 6T , Jun 20, 2021 :
    Idea... Haha

9. McJader
    Marshmallow Jun 20, 2021

McJader , Jun 20, 2021 :
    And he has replied again...someone tell him this isn't a General Support Section thread.:rolleyes:

10. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Jun 20, 2021

Dresa91 , Jun 20, 2021 :
    Haha:D
    Thank you @Tokolozi and the whole WIR Team:D
    This made my morning so far:D
    Thanks for the work:D
    I really like this new category:
    Have a great Sunday:)

11. Does!Compute
    KitKat Jun 20, 2021

"Genius" ;)
    (Heck, Apple Bar "Geniuses" are smarter than them)

puccellino, the_o2, Bobbie63 and 6 others like this.
  12. Tokolozi

It was fun writing it!

That category is surely something we must continue!

13. Does!Compute
    KitKat Jun 20, 2021

So, you mean, no RP for these spammy posts? :(

14. Tobikage
    Nougat Jun 20, 2021

Tobikage , Jun 20, 2021 :
    Boo ! Where's my credits raffle points for making that ??

puccellino, the_o2, pkg3107 and 8 others like this.
  15. McJader
    Marshmallow Jun 20, 2021

McJader , Jun 20, 2021 :
    Nope, fortunately:rolleyes:

16. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jun 20, 2021 :
    I can imagine that :D

Oh yes, please :D

puccellino, the_o2, Bobbie63 and 5 others like this.
  17. Tokolozi

Crap ... I knew I forgot to tag someone!

18. McJader
    Marshmallow Jun 20, 2021

McJader , Jun 20, 2021 :
    Spammer of the week:cool:

19. Pramod@0588
    Froyo Jun 20, 2021

Pramod@0588 , via OnePlus 6T , Jun 20, 2021 :
    OnePlus community app is not a chatting app...,,
    There are many for this purpose like whatsapp, Facebook messanger,,....
    So......

20. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jun 20, 2021 :
    And what do you think is the purpose of the OnePlus Community (App)?